The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Here is a pretty cool site for seeing how dark (or not) is is across the U.S. at night: http://www.jshine.ne...onomy/dark_sky/

The picture above was taken in the second darkest zone on the map.

Contrast it with the one below, taken at about 6500ft in the mountains above Los Angeles, squarely in the second or third brightest zone on the map.

p913162750-4.jpg

Higher elevation, lower temperature, and less moonlight all help. As does shooting well between sunset and sunrise. In both shots, you're seeing more than meets the naked eye in either place, thanks to the miracles of modern camera equipment.

Edited by Iron_Dreamer

Wonderful stuff, Peter! Did you schlepp a tripod to 8200, or just stick the D700 in a snowbank? :)

Congrats on a spectacular image. Inspires me to hoist an Elder in your honor.

There wasn't much schlepping involved, it was only about 0.25mi from a parking area ;)

However I did schlepp the D700 and a Gorillapod Focus about 6000ft up the side of Mt Shasta a few days later to be able to take this:

p150312355-4.jpg

Edited by Iron_Dreamer

There wasn't much schlepping involved, it was only about 0.25mi from a parking area ;)

However I did schlepp the D700 and a Gorillapod Focus about 6000ft up the side of Mt Shasta a few days later to be able to take this:

p150312355-4.jpg

awesome!

Can you give a quick rundown on how you go the pictures? exposure/shutterspeed/any pp?

Peter, that is some seriously awesome stuff!

I kinda agree with Gene's suggestion about the career change. If nothing else, there are a number of wineries in Napa who could use your talents to dress up their websites and adverts depicting their vineyards and wineries. More than a few of them look like something I would shoot. :blink:

Post-processing is a must, no way you could rely on the camera to make your creative decisions for you. Shutter speeds are generally long (over 10sec) but not too long (much over 45sec and stars start becoming trails, even on a very wide lens). Generally for such shots, you need as wide an aperture and as high an ISO as your equipment can provide while still rendering a good shot. Hence the reason I love my 14-24 f/2.8 Nikkor.

Are there any decent (not at all at the level of LX5 or something like that but not total crap) cheap (say under $200) underwater cameras that I can get for the trip to Hawaii? If not, do any of those underwater bags/cases work ok? or should I just not take a camera to the beach/snorkeling.

I was going to suggest getting waterproof housing for LX5, but those things cost more than the camera. I've not personally used it and it's not under $200 (more like $250-300), but Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-TX 5 is supposed to be pretty good waterproof P&S. I thought about getting it when my wife was looking for P&S, but decided against it since at the time, it was still selling at or near the MSRP ($349).

I don't know how long you'll need it, but you could just rent one here: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/cameras/compact-cameras/compact-underwater-camera

I have a Panasonic TS2, and it makes decent photos and 720p videos. You going to be sacrificing image quality on just about any of the waterproof compacts.

Thanks, since I will be leaving next week, I would need to buy something from amazon to get it here before I leave.

I am not sure I want to spend $300 on something that I won't use all that often. I was thinking of getting the either the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 or Kodak Playsport ZX5 (which is actually a camcorder that takes pictures). I am guessing it might be worth it to get the Olympus. They are both under $200.

Edited by shellylh

Good choice. It will have the bonus of using the same familiar Panasonic button/control/menu layout (for the most part) as your LX5. I've used several Panasonic compacts, and they seem similar enough that once you know your way around one, you're good to go. Specs on the TS10 look pretty good, image quality should be quite similar to the TS2, you just give up a bit of waterproofing (it just be fine for snorkeling, just not scuba diving).

Have a great time in Hawaii! Even though I'm heading up to Jasper park in Alberta tomorrow, I'm still jealous, I just I love it in Hawaii. And bring us back some nice pics (just be sure to use a polarizing filter if you want those beautiful aquamarine water/dark blue sky type beach shots).

I'm jealous weekly of you Peter whenever I get a pic of one of your hikes. We are heading to our last minute default vacation to Asheville, NC in two weeks. Back on topic. We may be going on an Rastern Caribbean cruise in the fall with my in laws. The only redeeming value Ii will get to dive and Gail is willing to take a refresher course and join me. I would love to take pics during a dive so I'm considering one of these for y Lumix ZS7: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Camera-Accessories/Camera-Cases/model.DMW-MCTZ10_11002_7000000000000005702

Shelly, have fun in Hawaii!

Good choice. It will have the bonus of using the same familiar Panasonic button/control/menu layout (for the most part) as your LX5. I've used several Panasonic compacts, and they seem similar enough that once you know your way around one, you're good to go. Specs on the TS10 look pretty good, image quality should be quite similar to the TS2, you just give up a bit of waterproofing (it just be fine for snorkeling, just not scuba diving).

Have a great time in Hawaii! Even though I'm heading up to Jasper park in Alberta tomorrow, I'm still jealous, I just I love it in Hawaii. And bring us back some nice pics (just be sure to use a polarizing filter if you want those beautiful aquamarine water/dark blue sky type beach shots).

Didn't even think about the button/control/menu being similar, that is a good point. I ordered a B+W circular polarizing filter that should be here before I leave. I haven't used one before, it will be fun to play around with it.

Have fun on your trip Peter.

Shelly, have fun in Hawaii!

Thanks! Have fun on the cruise.

Edited by shellylh

Saw someone using a Fuji X100 at a farmer's market today. This was the first time I saw the camera in person, and damn, that is one fine looking camera. I wish the damn thing would stay in stock so I can go see one at one of the local Hunt's.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I'm jealous weekly of you Peter whenever I get a pic of one of your hikes.

Me too. He really has a way of transporting me to wherever he has been.

We are heading to our last minute default vacation to Asheville, NC in two weeks.

No kidding. I was born in Asheville. I'm going back this year to visit family and friends.