The Olympics

jinp6301

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a track coach, this is the one time every four years when I actually get to see the sport I love, the pole vault, getting some air time. And in honor of the olympics I've updated my sig!

Yes, I :ian: Yelena Isinbayeva! She'll definitely be the first woman to vault 5.20 m (17'-0").

I've got tickets for the 100m track finals. :D

The opening ceremony really was mind-blowing, but I also agree with the Washington Post when it wrote that no democracy could or should so much on an opening ceremony. :P

Either way, I thought it was great (my lucky uncle even saw it live) and most Chinese think the same way. The China-USA basketball game yesterday was also fun to watch.

I've been watching the Olympics more than I have in the past. Since I've just DVR the events I watch it later. The opening ceremonies reminded me of the epic Chinese movies. I enjoyed watching the Women Volleyball match as there were 3 folks that played at the University of Hawaii on the team. It was just sad that a former US teammates father was killed in Beijing though. Of course I had to watch the US basketball team play China as well.

Will the Olympics help the other side of the wall in the long run? imo, yes

I would say that the Olympics have worsened the fate of those on the other side of the wall. :)

Migrant workers were pretty much deported out of the city, officials have rounded up dissidents with more vigour than usually in fear of stealing headlines and countless people were forced to move out of their homes to make place for more modern facilities (compensation: not much and at the point of a gun called prison). Those who have argued for the beneficial effect of the Olympics on China have made three specific claims, none of which holds water: (1) human rights improvements, (2) "green" Olympics, and (3) Chinese image polishing. (1) is simply not true. Although Chinese are much freer (except for political freedom) than they were 30,20 or even 10 years ago, that's not due to the Olympics, which has actually brought more political repression to the city. (2) is laughable. Forcing factories to shut down one month before the Olympics and creating a odd/even faceplate car rule during the Olympics won't usher in the next green revolution. What should be implemented are sustainable policies not one-off measures like these. Fortunately, they are doing that due to growing dissatisfaction of a growing middle class about environmental conditions as in most developing countries. Nothing needs to be said about (3) as the Olympics have been more of a PR disaster than brand polishing for China. And doing stuff like vetoing sanctions against Zimbabwe in the Security Council will keep it that way for some time to come.

The Olympics also present a huge minus on the balance sheet even though official numbers will never tell you that. The Bird's Nest alone is about $500 million over budget (800 instead of the planned 300).

From the beginning the Olympics has been about the government presenting itself as a strong leader to its people. Living in Beijing, you get the feeling that the media and government don't really care about the rest of the world. Having dumped its Communist ideology, the Communist Party now stakes its survival and legitimacy on tight political control, economic advance and nationalist pride. The current Olympics embody every part of that stance. And that's why it's quite important for China to get first in the gold medal count this time.

--

But back to sports: the 4x100m swim relay was absolutely fantastic. Too bad the US won (by 0.06 second), but it was a great race!!

It was a very entertaining game. China held its own in the first quarter with great perimeter play and also thanks to the USA's own dismal 3-point performance. But China scored too few points in the 2nd quarter and also committed way too many turnovers. After that the US team found its rhythm and it was game over for China. Yi had a terrible game up until the last quarter but by then it was already too late. Yao didn't do too well either.

Man I loved the basketball game. It hard to take a bunch of egos, put them all on one (dream) team, and have them play good basketball. But damn, they can sure put on a show, and toy with a team like China. Now if they could only get it together for something other than a dunkfest, we may be on to something.

Man I loved the basketball game. It hard to take a bunch of egos, put them all on one (dream) team, and have them play good basketball. But damn, they can sure put on a show, and toy with a team like China. Now if they could only get it together for something other than a dunkfest, we may be on to something.

x2

The Chinese team weren't even in the same league as the US team.

Yep, that 4X100 was pretty nuts. Impressive how the timing of the strokes can play such a crucial factor, as it served well the US team.

i swam in high school, and speed is more technique than anything else. stroke rhythm is key and reaching towards the wall is favored over taking that one last stroke, which was the difference in last night's race.