You: Smart. Me: Dumb. Give advice on speaker cable

The Monkey

I second the Kimber suggesting, but I do suggest paying someone else to terminate them for you. The front three speakers on my HT system are connected with Kimber 8TC, and I did the termination myself. That's 2 ends per wire, 8 wires per leg, 2 legs per cable, times three = 96 wire ends and some very sore finger tips when I was through. :eek:

Vincent,

If you don't take Mike up on his offer feel free to PM me if I can help.

I highly recommend he Nugget Audio cables but you are welcome to the extra pair in the pic. I had another pair of Nuggets but they are being used in the office rig.

As always, thanks guys. Mike, my speakers are about 8 apart from each other. I'd probably want around 6 ft. per. Would your cables make it? If not, I'll check out what Nugget has in stock. ;D

I've been very happy with the sound of LAT International's (www.latinternational.com) interconnects and speaker cable. While their product line has changed completely since my last purchases, they still employ a silverfuse conductor (finely stranded copper dredged through molten silver before being swedged to size) that I've found to be my preference. Very good quality construction and connectors, good customer service, and reasonable prices for what you get.

But it's real hard to beat a good loan . . . :D

the belden i linked from blue jeans is pretty affordable.

Yup, there's that, Canare 4S11 and there's even one from Furutech that doesn't break the bank for starters. You can get some pretty boutique speaker cables for under $200 if you're willing to throw in a little of your own labor.

Don't start with me Moose. n_maher-albums-smileys-picture210-shakefist.gif

But seriously, Vincent has built his own stuff before so all I was going to suggest to him was a couple of affordable wire types.

If I build my own, could I just use Mogami and the appropriate connectors? Or is there a better way to go? Also, is it much different than building an IC?

I second the Kimber suggesting, but I do suggest paying someone else to terminate them for you. The front three speakers on my HT system are connected with Kimber 8TC, and I did the termination myself. That's 2 ends per wire, 8 wires per leg, 2 legs per cable, times three = 96 wire ends and some very sore finger tips when I was through. :eek:

I'd third the Kimber suggestion. You can sometimes find quite good deals on 4TC or 8TC (I use 8TC currently). I got a deal on a 25' pair of 8TC for ~$200 and also bought a length to do the 26" jumpers for my speakers. It isn't that bad to terminate yourself even though it is alot of wires. Just don't pay anywhere near the $16/ft. retail for it. Good wire.