Preamps w/ remote

Salt Peanuts

So after 3 months, I'm getting bit tired of needing to get up each time I want to change the volume.

Assuming some unexpected expenses don't come up, I've been thinking about Adcom GFP-750, maybe in a month or two. Are there anything else I should be looking for? Also, anyone know anything about PS Audio's P-200?

what is your budget?

tubes or solid state? need balanced? how many inputs do you want?

I can't believe I forgot to put all that in the post, even though I was thinking about them.

Max of $1000, and preferably less than that. No preference really on solid state or tube, and balanced would be nice but won't be a deal-breaker if it's not. As for number of inputs, anything more than two would be fine.

I saw that and I'm sure it would be a nice match to my 840c, but I doubt it'll still be there when my fund is ready, and I'm weary of buying from someone with no feedbacks.

same guy is selling his on head-fi.

he has some feedback

Still, it seems like most of his feedbacks are from overseas, so he probably is to. His zip code isn't complete in his agon ad.

Ah fuck it I wouldn't buy from him either. :D

Any of the older Classe preamps are going to be nicer sounding than the Adcom. The 47.5, 60, and even the 35 are all very good preamps. Also the BAT VK-3i is very good.

The Krell HRC-2 or 3 come to kind too.

I like the VK-3i as well, but despite all my recommendations no one as tried it out.. It has an excellent phono stage as well and the remote can serve for home protection as well.

same guy is selling his on head-fi.

he has some feedback

Still, it seems like most of his feedbacks are from overseas, so he probably is to. His zip code isn't complete in his agon ad.

Ah fuck it I wouldn't buy from him either. :D

given his statement

I am in Sydney

and the feedback

Tong sold me his UE TF10s all the way from Australia

I'd say there is no probably about it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Ive got the Pearl;)

Great, now all you have to do is get the Seduction. ;)

I have nothing for that other than :rolleyes:. Either can be made to sound glorious and I'll never pick one or the other simply on the camp it belongs to.

While I generally prefer tubes, I agree with this. Of course, both can be made to sound simply horrid too.

I have nothing for that other than :rolleyes:. Either can be made to sound glorious and I'll never pick one or the other simply on the camp it belongs to.

well, I'm about to own my first SS preamp, but this choice was out of necessity, as a SS preamp that fits the bill for my setup simply doesn't exist (commercially) and my Blowtorch wannabe clone won't do the trick either, without some serious playing around (don't think I won't try, but ... )

All this to say that I really like tube preamps with solid state amplification. I ran a BAT/Ayre setup for a long time and it's a magical combination, no doubt. Also had a ARC and Krell SS amps as well and both really liked tubed preamps. Then there is the VTL preamps which are amazing as well.

My response was somewhat kidding, somewhat knee jerk response :)

That's you're job, since you want a comparison ;)

I'm definitely a job. ;)

As I said, I really don't need a phono preamp at the moment. Even so, I was tempted to get in on the Pearl group buy. I'm curious, about how much are the parts and casing costs?

I might have found a Seduction for us to compare against. Posty has one. >:D Jack, are you coming to CanJam LA? If so, can we convince you to bring it? Please?

<snip>

All this to say that I really like tube preamps with solid state amplification. I ran a BAT/Ayre setup for a long time and it's a magical combination, no doubt. Also had a ARC and Krell SS amps as well and both really liked tubed preamps. Then there is the VTL preamps which are amazing as well.

My response was somewhat kidding, somewhat knee jerk response :)

My preference is a tube preamp with a tube amp. I also like to have tubes in my sources. :D My speaker setup is based around an Anthem Int-1 integrated amp (with 15 tubes) and its source is an Ah! Tjoeb 99 (2 tubes). My headphone setup is an eXemplar Denon 2900 (2 tubes) into an SP Platinum Extreme.