ATH-AD1000PRM, ATH-ESW10JPN

Fungi

Hi Steve :D Been out a bit due to the wedding bells and also my renewed obsession with guitar. It's hard to have two expensive hobbies, haha.

I've got my 10's now. I think the ESW10 is easily superior to the K701, but that's a preference thing ;) The SR-Lambda is definitely sweet, though. I would have kept those had I not found them a little fatiguing. I do definitely think the 10's are worthy of home listening, though. A bit more listening time will tell.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I could try the ESW10s with the Gilmore Lite, and it does not seem to be a very good match, because sometimes there is too much treble energy(otherwise it has been noticeably improved over using it unamped). I used them with my friend's Meridian 208 CD player because the Pico DAC is still at least a few weeks away. Maybe I should try a Milett Hybrid or something else, what do you think?

Today I could try the ESW10s with the Gilmore Lite, and it does not seem to be a very good match, because sometimes there is too much treble energy(otherwise it has been noticeably improved over using it unamped). I used them with my friend's Meridian 208 CD player because the Pico DAC is still at least a few weeks away. Maybe I should try a Milett Hybrid or something else, what do you think?

Yes, I agree that a tube buffer whether a distinct amp or just a buffer setup would do you well even if you placed it between your Lite and the headphone. The TTVJ Millet Hybrid that I have does well with it.

I've read that the APS V3 recable also lessens the treble, so maybe that could also be a solution(I would rather not sell the GLite). In most of the recordings, this problem is not apparent and it sounds amazing, but in some piano music, it can really ruin the experience (especially considering that the piano tone on this headphone is really good).

I've read that the APS V3 recable also lessens the treble, so maybe that could also be a solution(I would rather not sell the GLite).

And where did you read that? That's not consistent with my experience - the APS V3 on the K701 enhances the treble as opposed to detracting from it.

Okay, so that means I either have to replace either the headphones or the amp. Question is, which one needs to go. Pity that here in the middle of Europe I have absolutely no chance to hear anything else than what I actually buy. I think I need a closed headphone because most of the time the environment is not noise-free (that's my main problem with the LNS).

How does a headphone sound like it needs better cables?

As you were typing that Jin, I was wondering what headphones sound like IF they need thicker pads.

ATs to me, of any headphone I've listened with, sound like I am listening to a tiny speaker on either side of my head, that is, the illusion of soundstage is least present. The soundstage (maybe I should call it "headstage") was collapsed and compressed-sounding, lacking in detail and separation. At the prices the JPN series go for, it was a shock. The cabling feels cheap -- flimsy on the ESW10s and gold paint was flaking off the cheesy wood-and metal plug on the 10VTGs that I tried. Lifting the larger cans off my head slightly seemed to improve things, though, of course, losing the seal then causes other issues.

So, overall, I can't help wondering what they'd sound like if they had a higher quality cable and thicker pads, whether the detail would be there and the "soundstage" improve.

Well, I got to hear a pair of ESW10's recently, but I'm really wishing I had brought along my VTG's, because they are (a) similarly priced (?), and (B) similarly sounding.

Has anyone compared the two? From memory, they both had a similar sound, but the ESW10's were unamped...I'm wondering which is really better. If they're the same, then there's no point in me getting a pair, as I prefer the closed-ness of the VTG...but damn they sounded better than they had any right to being...