2008 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Asr

Yeah yeah I know, the show doesn't start until Friday but I can't wait! I'm actually interested in speakers this year so I'm looking forward to listening to as many as I can! I've taken Friday off work so I can check out all 3 days! :)

If there are any requests, post 'em here and I'll see if I can include them on my rounds. Exhibitor list here: Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2008

And will any familiar Head-Casers/Fiers be there?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AudioKinesis is absolutely by far the most interesting and exciting exhibitor for me. I haven't auditioned Duke's speakers yet, but I'm 95% sure I'll be a customer of his not only based off of impressions I've read, but just from the practicality of his systems (waveguide mitigating room effects, purportedly huge sweet spot from the waveguide + toe-in, bass and treble tuning on some models, wall friendliness of some models due to said bass tuning, high efficiency opens up a Balancing Act + First Watt F4 combo for me to try, excellent price/parts ratio). He has a couple of new speakers that take advantage of his new multiple subwoofer system that he'll be showing at RMAF.

Modwright should also be interesting, they'll be showing their new power amp. I know the Transporter is old news, but I'd love to see that in person if I had the chance to go.

Selah will have some budget line arrays with active DEQX crossovers going on that might be interesting. That room is teamed up with Moon Audio.

Have fun ;D

If you're into analog check out Galibier's setup. I wish I could have made it out there!

both Galibier and Teres are high on my list, wish I could make it out there this year

x2 on both. I look multiple times a day for a Galibier or Teres to show up. I thought I had a Teres at one point but it didn't work out. I've never seen a Galibier. In the scheme of things both off a model that is within reach. I would love to be able to have an extended audition with them to compare to my Nottingham, which is pretty damn good.

Jp, we have to go to RMAF next year.

RMAF - Friday, 10/10

Kimber Kable panels

rmaf08_001.jpg

rmaf08_002.jpg

McIntosh Labs

rmaf08_003.jpg

rmaf08_004.jpg

rmaf08_005.jpg

Monarchy Audio

rmaf08_006.jpg

rmaf08_007.jpg

rmaf08_008.jpg

HeadRoom's array including Denon AH-D7000

rmaf08_009.jpg

rmaf08_010.jpg

rmaf08_011.jpg

rmaf08_012.jpg

rmaf08_013.jpg

One of Bel Canto's rooms w/ CD-2 & TAD mini-monitors

rmaf08_014.jpg

rmaf08_015.jpg

Moon Audio w/ Cary 306 SACD Pro & Selah Audio 32-driver speakers

rmaf08_016.jpg

rmaf08_017.jpg

rmaf08_018.jpg

Moon Audio, various cables

rmaf08_019.jpg

The Voice That Is w/ dCS Puccini, Lamm amplification, & Tidal Piano speakers ($32K)

rmaf08_020.jpg

rmaf08_021.jpg

rmaf08_022.jpg

Kubala-Sosna w/ Bryston BCD-1 & Audio Epilog Issa speakers

rmaf08_023.jpg

RMAF - Friday, 10/10 - Equipment Impressions:

Denon AH-D2000 single-ended vs balanced on HeadRoom Max Balanced: HeadRoom's setup made it easy to compare the D2000 balanced vs single-ended and I found that the balanced model did sound better than the single-ended. The soundstage increased maybe 150% in overall air and span, and the bass got noticeably clearer.

Denon AH-D7000: it could be said that this sounds great for a closed can. I don't personally like closed-can bass, which the D7000 has in spades - deep, punchy mid-bass. Clear, fluid mid-range, with good treble. I didn't listen very long but it seemed very decent, a step up from the D2000 that I previously owned. Worth ~$800 though? I'd have to spend more time with it to find out, but as it is, I didn't really think it's in the same sonic arena as Audio-Technica's W5000.

Monarchy Audio's speakers: these were abysmal. I listened to Alison Krauss' "Let Me Touch You For Awhile," which has never seemed that much of a stress-test to me, and these speakers literally distorted under the pressure of the bass, and the resulting sound was extremely boxy. I felt very embarassed for the guy running the room.

Odyssey Audio Lorelei speakers (un-pictured, room was very dark): these were so awesomely fun to listen to with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia. From an audiophile point of view these may not have been very good, but the bass and mid-bass were awesomely punchy and there was an aggressive streak to the treble that made it snarl. These speakers definitely rocked out, they were bad-ass!

TAD mini-monitors in Bel Canto: these were very theatrical-sounding speakers. Full, bold mid-range and surprisingly deep bass from a non-tower speaker. They played AK's "Let Me Touch You For Awhile" with ease and easily played the deep bass notes without breaking apart. Very fluid with a saturated mid-bass, and a large soundstage that gave a great sense of the performance in the room.

Selah Audio's new 32-driver speakers in Moon Audio: I'm sorry but these were just as awful as the Monarchy Audio speakers, so awful that it was embarassing. I cued up the Alison Krauss track again and within 5 seconds, I was already gritting my teeth from a terrible lower-treble gnash in the nasal/bronzy area. The whole time the track played was so unpleasant, I grimaced all the way through. It couldn't convey the dynamic swing either, and distorted on the bass. These speakers were so bad, I honestly think they'll get a bunch of negative press from the critics who show up this weekend. EPIC FAIL. Note: this system was running in balanced mode.

Tidal Piano in The Voice That Is: These speakers were absolutely stunning in person. Gorgeous, exquisite finish. I hoped the sound would match its looks and was only a little disappointed. Beautiful-sounding as well, at least for non-bassy music. So clear, so fluid, and so delicate. Excellent transients. I spun tracks from Alison Krauss, The Village [OST], Porcupine Tree, and Priscilla Ahn. The soundstage wasn't overly big but it was very convincing and very complete - it filled in the space between the speakers, behind them, and in front. I could swear every element of the orchestra was in the room if I closed my eyes. And it was superb at low-volume, and maintained dynamic integrity and clarity simultaneously. And on Porcupine Tree, it thrashed just as well and threw down the band with power. The only major disappointment was the sub-50 Hz bass, it was barely there. Aside from that, really an amazing speaker - it was a glory to behold how clear it was and how well it made treble sparkle without harshness. As soon as I heard it, it entered my dreams. :)

Audio Epilog Issa speakers (Kubala-Sosna room): very good speakers overall. Handled the Alison Krauss well enough without doing anything wrong. But there was a lack of bass on this one too, to be expected from two drivers. I'd estimate the bass sinkhole started at maybe 50-60 Hz. Note: this system was running in balanced mode.

I'm so jealous. This is the second year in a row I have missed RMAF due to being over here. I am definitely looking forward to making it next year.

If you get the chance (and if they have them) listen to the Evolution MMThree and what ever they have from Acapella. Two of my favorites from the last time I went. There is a Acapella dealer in the Springs if you want to get a better demo.

Thanks for the pics and the report Steve. Looks like lots of drool worthy gear, no surprise there! :)

x2 on this. Appreciate the reporting, and it is good to hear that you were able to play your own music in many/most rooms. The Stereophile show I went to in NYC was too big and crowded for that. Enjoy.

RMAF 2008 - Saturday 10/11, Part 1 - Equipment Impressions

Denon AH-D7000, again

I returned to match this against my W5000 and give it an extended audition. It sounds fine, and for a closed headphone, it's very decent-sounding. It completely lacked the subtlety of the W5000 though, and didn't have the W5000's smoothness either. It also had more bass thump, and less soundstage air. I still think it's not worth the price.

Audio-Technica W5000 balanced vs single-ended

And since HeadRoom's setup was a true-differential balanced system, I also decided that I had to check if the W5000 benefits from balanced drive (I have an XLR-1/4" APureSound V3 cable adapter).

The W5000 indeed benefits from balanced drive, but not really by much. The soundstage became more open, and it was easier to locate discrete points in it as well. Bass too became clearer.

Xavian Mediterranea speakers

Bad speakers, though not "awful" per se. Hollow, almost nasal quality. There was lots of enclosure and bass port reverb on heavy bass too. Lacked <50 Hz bass.

Krell's speakers

These were pretty cool and rocked out really well. Lots of bass and Porcupine Tree was a veritable smack-down. So much bass in fact, it was really awesome.

Audioengine A2 and A5

The A2 wasn't really that great but it wasn't that bad either. For a small size it sounds ok. The A5 though was pretty nice and sounded better than its size would indicate - very good bass impact and a pretty large soundstage. They'd both be great computer speakers, but only the A5 can cross over to audio or A/V applications. :)

Dynaudio Sapphire

Pretty nice overall. No real nitpicks against it.

Chario Sovran

Also pretty nice, nothing really bad.

RMAF 2008 - Saturday 10/11, Part 1 - Pics

Xavian Mediterranea, fed by Bel Canto CD-2 & ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue

rmaf08_024.jpg

Krell Industries' speakers with Evolution 505 CDP and amps

rmaf08_025.jpg

rmaf08_026.jpg

Reimyo digital transport, DAC, & amp stack to unknown speakers

rmaf08_027.jpg

rmaf08_028.jpg

Usher Audio speakers

rmaf08_029.jpg

Audioengine USA w/ A5 and A2

rmaf08_030.jpg

Esoteric w/ P-03, D-03, G-03

rmaf08_031.jpg

rmaf08_032.jpg

Dynaudio Sapphire fed by Wadia 781i SE or 170iTransport

rmaf08_033.jpg

Luxman electronics (including very vintage turntable) w/ unknown speakers

rmaf08_034.jpg

Audio Unlimited's dCS Scarlatti stack

rmaf08_035.jpg

Hansen Audio Emperor fed by dCS Scarlatti stack & Balanced Audio Technology amps

rmaf08_036.jpg

Boulder Amplifiers stack

rmaf08_037.jpg

Clearaudio Master Reference

rmaf08_038.jpg

Audio Unlimited's Focal Grande Utopia Em

rmaf08_039.jpg

Von Schweikert VR-9SE fed by unknown turntable & Valve Amplification Company amps

rmaf08_040.jpg

rmaf08_041.jpg

Chario Sovran fed by Accuphase DP-67 or Montegiro Lusso to Air-Tight amp

rmaf08_042.jpg

B&W Signature Diamond fed by Classe Audio CDP-202 and SSP-880

rmaf08_043.jpg

B&W CM1 fed by Rotel RCD-1072 CDP and RCD-1070 amp

rmaf08_044.jpg

rmaf08_045.jpg

unknown prototype horn speakers fed by Red Rock Audio Renaissance amp

rmaf08_046.jpg

Red Rock Audio Renaissance

rmaf08_047.jpg

MBL 101 MKII fed by MBL 1531 CDP, 1611F DAC, 6010D pre-amp, 9011 power amp

rmaf08_048.jpg

rmaf08_049.jpg

rmaf08_050.jpg

EMM Labs CDSA SE

rmaf08_052.jpg

Blue Circle Audio speakers and electronics

rmaf08_053.jpg

rmaf08_054.jpg

RMAF 2008 - Saturday 10/11, Part 2 - Equipment Impressions

Another good speaker. Nice full mid-range, but a little slow on the attack, could've used more treble spark.

Tyler Acoustics The Decade D1

These were downright amazing. There was some sort of crazy drum & percussion "music" going when I walked in. In quotes because it was more like a test disc than music. Crazy-fast articulation and tracking of concurrent layers, and it was so damn fast I decided I had to hear what it would do with Massive Attack's "Inertia Creeps" so I handed the CD to the man running the system. I think "Inertia Creeps" bowled over everyone in the room, it was glorious! The speakers were mad-phat on the bass and whacked away at the belly drums really well, while 3D's vocals floated around. Any speaker that can play Massive Attack without embarassing itself deserves kudos!

Odyssey Audio Lorelei

I returned to this room to give it Massive Attack and The Crystal Method to see if was as bad-ass as I remembered, and it did not disappoint. Very punchy, very powerful. However, my fave tracks also showed what it couldn't do. It didn't give sub-50 Hz bass very well, and it needed more treble extension.

Classic Audio Reproductions T-1

These were awesome with Priscilla Ahn, her voice was projected very convincingly and it never broke the imaging. When I heard it was $50K, my jaw dropped.

RMAF 2008 - Saturday 10/11, Part 2 - Pics

Avatar Acoustics Tango fed by AMR CD-77 & Dr. Feickert Analogue Two table and AMR AM-77

rmaf08_055.jpg

rmaf08_056.jpg

PS Audio's NEW Perfect Wave transport & Ultralink DAC - fully discrete & dual-differential

rmaf08_057.jpg

rmaf08_058.jpg

rmaf08_059.jpg

rmaf08_060.jpg

rmaf08_061.jpg

Ayre KX-R

rmaf08_062.jpg

If awards could be handed out for ugliest speakers at RMAF, this is my #1

rmaf08_063.jpg

Classic Audio Reproductions T-3 ($33.5K) fed by Galibier Gavia ($10.5K), Atma-Sphere MP-1 MKIII pre & M-60 MKIII monoblocks

rmaf08_064.jpg

rmaf08_065.jpg

rmaf08_066.jpg

Tyler Acoustics The Decade D1 fed by Meridian G08.2 or VPI Superscoutmaster and Parasound Halo amps, w/ power conditioning by Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One 3.0

rmaf08_067.jpg

rmaf08_068.jpg

Odyssey Audio Lorelei

rmaf08_069.jpg

Odyseey Audio Kismet monoblocks

rmaf08_070.jpg

Odyssey Audio Kismet pre-amp, phono stage, CD player, & turntable

rmaf08_071.jpg

rmaf08_072.jpg

Sonist Concerto 2 (mini-monitor) and Concerto 3 (tower)

rmaf08_073.jpg

Classic Audio Reproductions T-1 w/ Atma-Sphere monoblocks

rmaf08_074.jpg