LCD, plasma purchase help

deepak

I'm still bitter that the market wasn't there for SXRD rear-projection. I have the last set Sony made before pulling the plug on that segment, and it's an absolute gem. I'll cry tears of blood when it dies and I have to replace it with a flat panel.

Yep that's what our 60" is. The SXRD technology is really great and the picture is stunning when you get it calibrated. I'm not too worried about replacing it as that will (hopefully) be a few years down the line and video technology seems to be going at a pretty good clip now.

Now for the obligatory "lasers" image:

dr.evil.laser.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep that's what our 60" is. The SXRD technology is really great and the picture is stunning when you get it calibrated. I'm not too worried about replacing it as that will (hopefully) be a few years down the line and video technology seems to be going at a pretty good clip now.

Now for the obligatory "lasers" image:

Ditto, I have the 60" Sony KDS-60A3000, and I am just floored by the picture. Calibrated it myself with a meter and some software.

Hopefully by the time this set tanks, the LCDs (or whaterver) will exceed what this set can do.

I've been enjoying a 46" Sharp for the last year after getting it with free shipping last December. Viewing distance is about ten feet. Liked it so much, I got SWMBO a 32" for her office. Should be some good deals out there after Friday. Still mostly nothing worth watching on cable and Comcast digital is a bad joke.

I think I have successfully navigated through Samsung's not 1 or 2 but like 6 52" 1080p 120Hz 50000:1 contrast ratio tvs to select the LN52A650.

If anyone has any reasons which I should go with a different model let me know.. otherwise I'm just waiting for the right price.

I'm going for the LN40A650 (40" is the largest that will fit) so I think that you've made a good choice. If you want LED backlighting and don't mind spending big bucks, you could go for the LN55A950.

I went and checked out some of the Panasonic Plasmas at MicroCenter briefly today -- and they're not that bad. I'd consider them. Plus, I believe they make a 1080p model which is less than 50"...which is the smallest the Samsung makes. That's a lot of TV -- possibly too much for me. I'm tempted to go 46" or maybe even 42".