LCD, plasma purchase help

deepak

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A650-52-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B001413DF8/]Amazon.com: Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color: Electronics[/ame]

I'm strongly thinking about getting this tv. Is there a better brand/model? Like the Kuros people keep talking about? Also when do people predict the price reaching optimal? Black Friady or past?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm strongly thinking about getting this tv. Is there a better brand/model? Like the Kuros people keep talking about? Also when do people predict the price reaching optimal? Black Friady or past?

If money is no object and you do most your viewing in an appropriately dark room, the Pioneer Elite Kuros are pretty much by common consensus the best displays you can buy, period. However, for roughly half the price you can get pretty close with a top LCD set, like the step-up Samsung A950, or a Panasonic PZ800U plasma. Honestly, though, unless you are really, really picky you'll probably be very happy with the set you linked.

As far as prices go, I don't see them heading any way but South in this economy. The longer you can wait, the cheaper you will be able to get just about anything in the CE universe. My gut feeling is the floodgates will really open after the retailers take stock of how miserable their Christmas season actually was. In a sink-or-swim situation, excess inventory is two boots full of water. They'll be pretty much throwing flat panels out the front door, I reckon.

Has there ever been a time when TV prices didn't go down over time? In my experience the best that you can hope for is to buy something that is acceptable to you at the end of its run and get it at the cheapest price possible. Or resign yourself to the fact that getting the TV now and enjoying it for 'x' number of months is worth more than some amount of savings you'd get by waiting.

Yup, I used to buy at the front of the consumer curve, and figured out I was much happier given how long I own stuff if I just buy the oldest thing that fits my needs. You save enough to upgrade twice as often if you buy at the end of the curve rather than the beginning.

We have a 60" Sony rear projection Monitor in our family room. The viewing distance is about 12'. When we first got it the screen seemed huge as it replaced a 27" CRT. We now both agree that we could easily go bigger, especially when watching sports.

Unless you really think you need the Plasmas black levels and (maybe) faster refresh rates I would go with the LCD's. The technology increases on LCD's has made the gap really small between LCD and plasma.

LCDs are getting much better and Sony's top of the line LCDs are among my favorites as they look the most natural, though, I still can't handle the overall pitting and image choppiness at up close viewing and especially with fast action which is a deal breaker for me. And yeah, Plasmas scale up nicely in dark environments, but mine also does exceedingly well during daylight too.

SED is vaporware. It was supposed to go into production almost 10 years ago and so far there is not a single mass-market display using the technology. I think Toshiba made a few panels for broadcast use, but that's it.

I'm still bitter that the market wasn't there for SXRD rear-projection. I have the last set Sony made before pulling the plug on that segment, and it's an absolute gem. I'll cry tears of blood when it dies and I have to replace it with a flat panel.

The only LCD that I've been even remotely happy with is the Sharp Aquos. And I haven't heard the most positive things about the Panasonic, so am leaning towards the Samsung plasma, myself -- probably the 50A550. But I'm pretty much an LCD snob -- I hate most LCD's that I've seen. But even in the same line of stores (Belmont TV, a local chain), I've only seen them properly set up in one of them (the Laurel store). And I've been disappointed by the picture at Best Buy, too.

The advice I've heard is, if you have complete control over how dark you can make the room (room darkening shades, or shutters, or something), then go plasma; otherwise go LCD.

Oh, and if you're going to go LCD, look at response time (faster == better) and frequency (60 Hz is adequate, 120Hz would be even better, although IMHO unnecessary).

Edited by Dusty Chalk