LCD, plasma purchase help

deepak

I'm trying to decide between a Panasonic 50PZ80U (50" plasma) and Sharp LC52D64U (52" LCD). Both 1080p.

It will be mostly used for DVD, Blu-Ray and Xbox 360. Not much cable viewing. The room it's going to be in has two large-ish windows on either side of the TV, but the shutters can be closed. Viewing angle will be pretty much straight on, or at a 15 degree angle from either side at most.

The Sharp is about $250 more than the Panasonic, but that isn't a big deal. It's hard to see them properly setup in a store since there aren't HT specialty stores in my area.

Any suggestions or other recommendations? ~ $1500 (+/-) shipped is my budget.

Cheers guys :dan:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any service calls you'd process through the manufacturer anyways unless it's something that goes wrong in the 30-day money back guarantee of the retailer.

I agree with Dan, the LCD will weigh less, and will also use substantially less power. Plasma's are power whores and use quite a bit of power.

Almost forgot, I'd wait till we get closer to the holidays, LCD prices are going to start falling like crazy.

Beyond that, I'd rather deal with amazon for a return to any big box retailer...

Really, you'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks shipping a TV than walking into store to drop it off for service? That makes no sense to me, I've never had trouble returning anything to any of the big box stores. I don't know about the rest of you but I've been a frequent user of BBs extended warranty plans and with one exception I've come out way ahead as a result.

Personally I'd take the plasma if you have decent light control and don't watch a lot of sports. The better black level and higher real-world contrast ratio will make a noticeable difference with good sources. I'd also spend the extra $99 for the 85U -- Amazon and a couple of others have been bundling a free BR deck with it, which would more than make up for the upcharge.

Any service calls you'd process through the manufacturer anyways unless it's something that goes wrong in the 30-day money back guarantee of the retailer.

I agree with Dan, the LCD will weigh less, and will also use substantially less power. Plasma's are power whores and use quite a bit of power.

Almost forgot, I'd wait till we get closer to the holidays, LCD prices are going to start falling like crazy.

For Xmas, Stacy and I are buying ourselves a Samsung LN-40A650 LCD TV. I wouldn't consider buying before "Black Friday", the day after Thanksgiving. Prices are predicted to start dropping quite a bit then. I'm one of those people that prefer LCDs to Plasmas.

We have an older Sharp in our living room. After looking around, I think that Samsung has passed Sharp by in LCD TVs. I suggest checking out the appropriate Samsung model before buying.

When it comes to price, you can save a bundle ($400-500 or more) by buying online. The local Circuit City is one of those that are closing. I checked out their close out prices. They are still considerably more than the online cost. It's no wonder that many of the TV retail outlets are closing their doors. They just can't compete pricewise. If you are nervous about it needing service, you can buy an extended warranty that includes shipping and still save money.

I own 2 vizios, and am pleased as punch with them. I bought them as refurbs from woot, but if I were buying a new bigger tv, I'd be tempted to get whichever vizio they had I was looking for size wise at costco, and giving it a shot, at the very least.

Yup, my inlaws have one and it's a nice enough TV that I'd own it.

And deepak, do you have a huge room or something, a 50" set is pretty damn big in my book.

cue the tv crazies saying it can never be big enough

it's not "need", it's just where you start seeing hte full benefit. So at that distance, you get the most "immersion". The closest to a theater experience. The goal is to have the TV take up more than you can see in your direct vision.

I guess I should just be happy with far less than the "optimal" configuration. I can't imagine a 70" TV in my living room.

Sitting about 12' away from the TV.

We had a 60" DLP at our old apartment from slightly further back and it was great. I settled on 50/52 since it's good price:size ratio.

Ken: I'll check out the Samsungs, when I was researching earlier IIRC Sharp and Sony were ahead of the game.

edit: I'll definitely wait until black friday and the week following to see the sales. I don't know if I can hold out until next year though.

Edited by deepak

Our couch is approximately 10 feet away from a 50" Pioneer and we can easily tell the difference between 1080i, 720p and 480i, but the difference between the first two is pretty close. It took about a month to get use to the 50" as it first felt too big especially considering we upgraded from a 32" CRT, but now we are very glad we opted to go bigger. We watch a ton of wide screen movies so that cuts about 5 to 10% off the screen and quite a few HD broadcasts cut the sides off as well. Plus back when I was shopping the 50" processed fast action better than the 42" -- I remember reading something along the lines that there is less processing/conversion with the 50" and it actually achieves a truer HDTV picture.