a few concerns with my latest aquisition (sp extreme)

crappyjones123

well piss, took the amp to the guy at my school and the left channel didnt die. we let the music play for 30 minutes + and nothing. strong as ever. perhaps a mini meet at mike will make the amp die again. its stupid to wish the sound to die but for some reason i feel that its better to have a problem for certain than to have an intermittent one. anyhow, the guy didnt want to open it up and look inside because he said that he would undoubtedly scratch the case in the process. after flecom, im not sure what other avenues i have besides sending it back to mikhail. last suggestions welcome.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well piss, took the amp to the guy at my school and the left channel didnt die. we let the music play for 30 minutes + and nothing. strong as ever. perhaps a mini meet at mike will make the amp die again. its stupid to wish the sound to die but for some reason i feel that its better to have a problem for certain than to have an intermittent one. anyhow, the guy didnt want to open it up and look inside because he said that he would undoubtedly scratch the case in the process. after flecom, im not sure what other avenues i have besides sending it back to mikhail. last suggestions welcome.

Cj, my wife is out of town this weekend. If you want to bring it by, early afternoon on Saturday, I will be around.

if you wanna do that you are welcome to. ill be home around 9pm tonight and later tomorrow night. but saturday i will most probably be home. if i do step out to go to school i will drop the amp at your place. if you feel like taking a drive around to my neighborhood i leave that up to you as well. we can talk about it later.

if you wanna do that you are welcome to. ill be home around 9pm tonight and later tomorrow night. but saturday i will most probably be home. if i do step out to go to school i will drop the amp at your place. if you feel like taking a drive around to my neighborhood i leave that up to you as well. we can talk about it later.

I will see what I can do. Pm me your address and cell number.

I suggest not sending the amp to Mikhail as long as the problem is intermittent. Mikhail takes long enough to fix a known problem and may take a long time by his measure to debug this problem.

You're doing the right thing by letting Mike take it for a while. Also, if you want to your engineering buddy to take a look at it, you can open it up so he doesn't have to worry about scratching your amp. You'll need a 1/16" hex wrench to get the screws out. Just be sure that the amp is not plugged in and has been off for several hours so that the caps have all had time to discharge. Then don't touch anything inside the amp anyway.

I just want to try the amp in my system and see if I can reproduce what is happening when cj listens. I won't open it up since I wouldn't have a clue what to look for although I could post some pics.

Absolutely :). I didn't think you were going to open it up ;). I do appreciate you taking your precious time to help though :)

• 2 weeks later...

so just got home from mikes place after a great little mini meet. and of course the amp isnt going to give out at his place. the left channel is not producing any sound at all. nil. nada. no sound out of the left channel. im guessing the movement of the amp probably knocked around whatever was loose and made a good enough contact until it was moved again. the amp worked fine for the few minutes it was used at mikes house but now there is no sound in the left channel. only thing i can think of doing now is opening it up and taking tons of pictures and posting them to see if anyone can recognise a fault right away.

fucking thing never dies when i have people around and the moment i get home and plug it in again...boom no left channel. love this amp when it does work but hate it at times like these.

I don't have anything helpful to say, but this thread was certainly entertaining. ;D

Gaah, Lenovo laptop and DVD player analog outputs... *shudder*

I use 2C51 tubes in my ES-1 and have had microphonic problems with only one pair of Bendix, which happened to have come from Singlepower. :( The six other pairs I bought elsewhere all worked fine.

Yeah singlepower amps are kinda microphonic. Can definitely hear a ping when you tap the sides of any of their amps that I've ever owned.. except for the SS-1.

When I read this, I almost died. I have never tapped the sides of MPX3. Can you believe that? What have I been thinking about? So, with much fear and trepidation, I tapped the left-side of the case, I tapped the right-side, I tapped the front, and I tapped the back. Nothing. No microphonics at all. So, then I tapped the right-side and the back, and then the left-side and the front, and then the left-side and the back and the front-side and the right. Wait, I think I heard something squeak when I tapped the right-hand side and the front. So, I opened up the case, and sure enough I found four grey Colorado titmice taped to the insides of the front-, back-, left- and right-hand sides of the case. One of them was still alive, so I set him free. Now only one side of my amp is microphonic!

What a relief.

Thanks for the heads up, dude.