Monitors for 10 x 13ft room, ~$1500 with stands

postjack

I'm just thinking the hazard to your speakers drops immensely when considering that you're getting about 500 btu/hr out of that fireplace.

If it were my room I'd have them farther apart, but that's my knee-jerk reaction. I can't say how they sound in your room, nor do I really know what your room looks like.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

These Tannoy Autograph minis look like a steal:

AudiogoN ForSale: Tannoy Mini Autograph

Haven't heard this particular model (which by far the smallest in the Prestige line and should be suited to a small room), but from what I HAVE heard in the Dimension and Prestige lines, I would heartily & rabidly recommend ANY of the upper-range Tannoy dual-concentric speakers.

Edit: oops, gotta check dates. Not sure if this is still relevant :)

nope, not relevant to me anymore, but still relevant to the thread title. ;)

to update: i thought i'd try to fix my room problems with both different speakers and different amps, but all of y'all yelled at me and finally i fixed my room problems by fixing my room. :) gotta love this place.

So what's it look like now? ;D

Here's some truly terrible flash pictures I just snapped:

20090225den001.jpg

20090225den002.jpg

20090225den003.jpg

20090225den004.jpg

Pardon the mess. Also it should be noted this is my larger den, not the 10x13 room originally referred to in the OP.

Couple of points:

-When I'm listening I close all the curtains, and sometimes put a blanket over the TV and mirror on the wall. This drastically reduces treble energy.

-Having the footstool in front of me makes a difference in the imaging. Sometimes I leave it there when I just want my feet up, but when I move it the difference is clear.

-The speakers and listening chair are setup according to the Diament 1/3rds method. It works perfectly.

-The one problem I have is the soundstage tends to shift to the right, which can be quite annoying if I let it bother me. I sometimes use balance controls to correct this, but the extent to which it bothers me is song dependent.

-I also finally dragged the SVS sub into this room. It completes me. Seriously, I just can't get the kind of bass I want out of 8" woofers. I'm a sub guy for life. The sweet thing is, now that my listening position and speaker position have been optimized, bass is truly almost completely non-directional. Even though the sub is behind me and to the left, 95% of the time the bass sounds like it is coming from the speakers.

You said that covering the TV screen changes sound. Does the soundstage going to the right improve and get more centered when you do so? If stage shifts to center when covering the screen, but it's not dead center with a mono recording, then try using thicker cloth to cover the screen, it might work perfectly for "serious listening".

Other cause for that could be the low frequency sounds having more room and some reverb when getting into the next room through the door. Maybe adding a very thick curtain to "close the door" is of some help.

I've got a similar setup (with pocket doors in the space behind the listening chair) and have found that more toe-in than usual is helpful in reducing the open-sidewall weirdness. I tried having the speakers actually "cross" right in front of the chair but didn't work well in my room (my speakers were 21ls). I moved to a pair of small monitors and am actually enjoying listening in the nearfield, though large-scale music suffers. Anyway, interesting to follow the development of your system/listening space.

best,

k