What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't claim to understand my own tastes, especially for metal. But yeah, the Living Sepulchre vocals sound like something from an '80s rock band. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I'm expecting from metal. The vocals on Lovesongs of the Forsaken are either mixed way too far back or the singer is singing weakly and not with a 'real' tone, which is a big no-no for classically trained musicians. And has poor intonation. I agree that the typical metal screaming/growling doesn't really count as singing, though (if what's what you meant by "singing").:)

Agreed that it's 80's/glammish/power-metally -- it's still better than growling/screaming/emo/rapping. Sorry, I'm getting completely jaded about horrid metal "vocals". Consider this -- there's no analogy to what one can do on acoustic/organic instruments. It's not even "playing outside the expected range of the instrument", which has been done. This is at least melodic, which has become increasingly important to me. And not just because of metal, but because a lot of contemporary poprock is loop-based, it tends toward monotonic. Which, although technically one note can be considered "a melody", it is not. It is to melody what grey is to color. Grey is not the complete absence of color -- that's black. But it sure looks colorless.

Sorry, While Heaven Wept are all over the place stylistically. Mostly goth/doom metal. It's only their most recent release that got fairly proggy, although admittedly not as proggy as Myrath. I'll see what else I can dredge up. I tend to listen to a lot of that stuff. I do listen stuff like Meshuggah and Mnemic, but not as much. I tend to drive like Grand Theft Auto when I do, and I don't always feel like restraining myself, so I just choose to listen to music that makes me laid back and happy instead. Most of the time.

On a completely unrelated note, WHERE THE HELL IS Requiem - Pianissimo (Virgin Black)?!?!?