Any Grado c pad impressions around here?

Chekhonte

I don't like them but blessingx did at some point on some Grados if I am remembering correctly.

Yeah, I had them on the HF1s. It's really a comfort and soundstage versus more balanced (for a Grado anyway) sound choice. Things were more distant and blurred (or at least dulled) a bit. In comparison with other phones it's not a crazy difference and I went back and fourth, for usually large chunks of time, but if I did it all over again I'd avoid them. There are of course other mod options, but I'm not sure any avoids a SQ sacrifice. In the end I'd probably suggest a different phone if comfort is an issue.

I was one of the first to hear them, as at the time I was writing for 6moons and I did a little headphile bit. The sonic differences are somewhat subtle, I would say it almost sennheisers the sound a bit. With the HP1000's they sound really off though, and prefer the warmer, tonal quality with flats. They are comfortable, but I can handle PS-1's long term just fine with bowls. Those port things may make a difference, I don't remember really hearing more or less ports equating itself into more or less bass, but it has been awhile.

They were a requirement, imho, for the PS1s for long term comfort.

Yeah, I had them on the HF1s. It's really a comfort and soundstage versus more balanced (for a Grado anyway) sound choice. Things were more distant and blurred (or at least dulled) a bit. In comparison with other phones it's not a crazy difference and I went back and fourth, for usually large chunks of time, but if I did it all over again I'd avoid them. There are of course other mod options, but I'm not sure any avoids a SQ sacrifice. In the end I'd probably suggest a different phone if comfort is an issue.

It's easy to make Grados comfortable. Just have the new guy wear them for a couple of months. Then the headband will be stretched out enough that the clamping force will be greatly reduced. It worked really well for my HP2. Of course, if you have a big head you're on your own. ;D

I found that just inverting the bowl pads made them more comfortable with out changing the presentation too much. It is amazing that grado has had horrible cable design and uncomfortable pads for such a long time. It seems like a lot of people can't stand grado headphones for one of those two reasons, though usually the second reason. It seems like old joey would do something about it.

If anybody sees a pair of c-pads in a forsale forum would you give me a heads up if you don't take them for yourselves of course? ;)

It's easy to make Grados comfortable. Just have the new guy wear them for a couple of months. Then the headband will be stretched out enough that the clamping force will be greatly reduced. It worked really well for my HP2. Of course, if you have a big head you're on your own. ;D
My guess is for the majority clamping isn't really the comfort issue.

apocalypse-brando2.jpg

The foam. The foam.

for me it's that the bowl pads put all the force on the rim of the bowl that makes contact with your ear. wearing glasses like I do really exacerbates the problem most of the force now gets applied to the small section of your ear that is raised slightly from the back by the arm of the glasses. Turning the pads around makes the area that comes in contact with your ear larger and dispersing the pressure.

I've bought and sold them for about $50. I don't think it's proprietary, it's a circle of wood with a beyer pad on it.

I think he was poking fun at Larry, who claims that anyone who has the audacity to mod Grados with wood is taking money from his pocket, especially if the person hasn't first consulted with him, John Grado and I don't know, God him/herself for permission. I know he spoke pretty harshly about me to more than one person because of the few pairs of cups I did for fun and sold at cost.