New TTVJ FET-A Headphone Amp / Preamp

Voltron

I just went around and tested the amp on every single AC outlet I have (ok well not all of them but I tried 5 outlets in various places) and the buzz went away but not the hiss. This hiss is driving me bonkers!

I would re-read the above poster's comment, and it is probably due to the source. Typically the kind of hiss you are talking about is actually sourced induced, a lot of times it is simply thermal noise which should only be present at such extraordinarily loud volumes that you would never listen to in the 1st place. For example, I hear just a tad touch of hiss but with the pot way above 12 oclock, which i could not even get anywhere near without busting up my drivers or ear drums. hiss on amps can be the result of many things, of which are no indicator of amp performance.

#1 - source induced noise, traditionally thermal noise from the circuit

#2 - internal gain of amp, big factor, if the gain is high enough (and the FET-A sounds as if it has a pretty good amount of gain), you are naturally going to hear more "stuff" when you max the pot.

#3 - impedance of cans plays a huge role - higher impedance you will hear less of the hiss and noise.

#4 - grounding with system, including power and IC's - a lot of times grounding issues can manifest themselves as a slight hum or hiss, but usually this is a small factor and IME has virtually no impact on an amplifier's performance.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice it with all my headphones - Qualia, AD2000, K701, and ES7. Least audible with the K701 of course, just barely noticeable.

Well it sounds like there may be a problem with your amp, your power or the sensitivity of your hearing. Ever notice any annoying clicks when you are out and about in the summertime at night?

I would re-read the above poster's comment, and it is probably due to the source. Typically the kind of hiss you are talking about is actually sourced induced, a lot of times it is simply thermal noise which should only be present at such extraordinarily loud volumes that you would never listen to in the 1st place. For example, I hear just a tad touch of hiss but with the pot way above 12 oclock, which i could not even get anywhere near without busting up my drivers or ear drums. hiss on amps can be the result of many things, of which are no indicator of amp performance.

I'm aware that noise can be source-induced, but when I reported testing it earlier, it was with the amp only - plugging it in by itself, turning it on, plugging in headphones. The volume knob was also at minimum volume and the noise level of the hiss did not change regardless of where the volume knob was set - as in, the hiss did not get louder as I turned up the volume.

Well it sounds like there may be a problem with your amp, your power or the sensitivity of your hearing. Ever notice any annoying clicks when you are out and about in the summertime at night?

The FET-A is not the only amp I've heard to have some sort of background noise in my system, and there are plenty of other amps I've owned in the past that had either very quiet or silent backgrounds. I've heard hiss even from battery-powered amps (e.g., the RSA Predator and HeadAmp AE-1).

I'm fairly convinced at this point that my unit may be defective so I'll be sending it back to TTVJ.

I'm aware that noise can be source-induced, but when I reported testing it earlier, it was with the amp only - plugging it in by itself, turning it on, plugging in headphones. The volume knob was also at minimum volume and the noise level of the hiss did not change regardless of where the volume knob was set - as in, the hiss did not get louder as I turned up the volume.

Ah...thanks for the clarification, yeah it might be worth it to have todd/pete look it over...

If you are testing your amp sans source, I believe that you should short the amp inputs to ground......?

If it's worth the money, I won't question that.

How about this. If one had a $300-400 Discrete SS Amp, would it be worth the money to upgrade, or just keep saving for something that offers something more different. Me personally save for tubes.

At least I don't feel compelled to respond to your unintelligible blather over here. :rolleyes::palm::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I decided last week to return my FET-A for a refund after I saw another issue of concern when re-packing the amp - the "line out" jacks on the back were bent (enough that no interconnects could be fully plugged onto them). Coupled with the hiss issue, this led me to being dissatisfied and disappointed with the quality of the amp so I just wanted to return it.

I did listen to the amp for about 10 minutes though before re-packing it, and my 10-minute audition was actually really positive. The only amp I have right now is the HeadAmp AE-2 and in comparison the FET-A was akin to the Gilmore Lite (which I previously owned simultaneously with this same AE-2 not too long ago). I used my Qualia 010 and there was quite an increase in treble, enough for even me (a self-professed treble-head) to wince a bit that I had to turn down the volume quite a bit. High treble was appropriately decimating too, which I consider a good thing. It was also very clear-sounding overall and there was no obvious sparing in the bass area either (though I didn't listen with my AD2000 so I can't say anything more specific). While I can't say for certain the FET-A sounds like the Gilmore Lite, it definitely reminded me of it with a definite treble tilt and lots of rhythmic speed. Transients really popped on it too. It was a huge improvement over the AE-2.

I could have listened longer and probably should have, but that 10 minutes was definitely encouraging. I'm still left curious about how it sonically compares to the GS-1 but I can still say the FET-A is a really good sounding amp. I would recommend not pairing it with bright-sounding headphones. ;)

I really liked this amp when I had the loaner. The subject of slight noise/hiss when the amp is listened to at volumes one would never play music at is somewhat acedemic as if you would never listen at that volume then what is the point.

The build on the one I listended to was great no rca issues at all and no hiss but I did not crank it up to listen for self noise just auditioned at normal listening volumes.

I'm just giving the FET-A my first real listen and so far I like what I'm hearing. Running out of a modded EMU 0404 to the amp. Listening with RS1's and HD600's. I like this amp a lot with the Senns. Very strong, drives them with authority. Very balanced sound to me on the Senns. Deep bass. Not sloppy. Tight. The RS1's can seem a bit bright at times depending on the recording. But with acoustic guitars (California Guitar Trio right now) I'm digging the detail, speed and soundstage. I think this would be a multi-headphone amp for me if I owned it.

Like others though I wish the case was a little more upmarket. It doesn't look that horrible to me but it feels a bit flimsy when you handle it. Oh well, the sound does pretty much overcome that.

web.jpg

Todd said that he got Steven's amp back and one of the screws securing the RCA jacks was over-torqued. Once he loosened it, there was no problem and the cables went in and out just fine. He also said he could not hear any hiss or hum on the unit, which he has been using in his system, which I assume still has the Meridian 808.

Does it mean that you are on the black list now;D

We, in Europe, do not have such privilege, 30 days return policy I mean, however the official Grado dealer, couple years ago, was quite open to let me try some model with possible refund, but that's not necessary, cos I can do that in any hi fi shop anyway.

I feel stupid now. :P If only I had bothered to look into the bent RCA jacks... :palm:

• 1 month later...