Tube amp suggestions for AKG K1000

Blackmore

Foo_me had the prototype for the ZDT, the Nautilus, for an extended demo. He tried the K1000 with it and it was a pretty underwhelming performance he said. Of course he has a very good 300B amp he normally uses and the ZDT is supposed to sound better so shrug.

Actually, I think the Nautilus was not based upon the Zana...more of tinkering around on his path towards making the BA...so in that sense, matching the k1k with the ZDT might not be what I experienced with the Nautilus.

The Nautilus I tried was not finished by any means, but it did not have sufficient juice to power the k1k at least in it's prototype form.

Btw, I have an SRD 7mk2 and want to try connecting the k1k to it rather than my 300b amp. Would be convenient if I could do that and not lose any sound quality.

Will have to try it later as the amp is back in the shop :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's probably be doable if he cased it in a -= Gold spray painted Lincoln Log box=-.

FIFY

wassat? like, soloists?

No, That's when Peter and Paul are sick, leaving just Mary on stage. ;)

Edited by swt61

I agree with jp# about good 300B amps.

And I don't agree with people that posted in the HFi threads saying 300B's are great for just female vocals and such :rolleyes: (maybe crappy 300B amps...)

My friend's ECC99/300B monoblocks and K1000 can easily handle any highly dynamic orchestra piece, thrash metal, minimal folk music, etc. The setup is almost as good as the Omega 2 MK1 ;D

The K1000s sound great with my Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. This combo can play much louder than I listen, and I prefer 2A3s, hence my interest to build a dedicated K1000 2A3 amp.

Donald North

The K1000s sound great with my Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. This combo can play much louder than I listen, and I prefer 2A3s, hence my interest to build a dedicated K1000 2A3 amp.

Donald North

Hi there Donald, welcome to Head Case. SET + 2A3 + K1000 = terrific in my book. I've heard the AKG a few times with my own 2A3 amp and thoroughly enjoyed it, to the point that if I ever spend 4 digits on a headphone, it will be the K1000. Look forward to seeing what you come up with :).

Donald North

not sure 2a3s have the power in a SET configuration to do the K1000s justice but a pair in parallel could be great. I had a Moth 2a3 that sounded great as a headphone amp but strained with K1000s. I'm not sure 2-3 watts at 8ohms is going to do the trick.

not sure 2a3s have the power in a SET configuration to do the K1000s justice but a pair in parallel could be great. I had a Moth 2a3 that sounded great as a headphone amp but strained with K1000s. I'm not sure 2-3 watts at 8ohms is going to do the trick.

Thanks for this input. I know my 1W 6DN7 amp isn't powerful enough, while my 7W 300B amp has too much power for my tastes. I anticipate the 2A3 will be the right balance. The 300B can generate enough voltage to take the K1000s to max SPL, however my intention is to maximize sound quality at sane listening levels.

From what I've read, the Moth 2A3 is a direct coupled design using the 6SL7. Such a design has its share of challenges. I plan to use a different input/driver tube with capacitor coupling for the first level offering. I custom built a 45 amp for a friend in this configuration and the results are excellent (just 1.75W though). The 2A3 should also work well; we'll see.

Donald North

Actually, I think the Nautilus was not based upon the Zana...more of tinkering around on his path towards making the BA...so in that sense, matching the k1k with the ZDT might not be what I experienced with the Nautilus.

The Nautilus I tried was not finished by any means, but it did not have sufficient juice to power the k1k at least in it's prototype form.

Btw, I have an SRD 7mk2 and want to try connecting the k1k to it rather than my 300b amp. Would be convenient if I could do that and not lose any sound quality.

Will have to try it later as the amp is back in the shop :(

Nah I've talked extensively with Craig about it.. the ZDT is definitely basically the Nautilus with a few tweaks and drastically different appearance. They are both transformer coupled and not OTL like the Zana Deux. The HD2 is also a similar amp aka transformer coupled 6c33b amps and he said that the ZDT with partial silver electraprint transformers (An upgrade, not standard) will give the HD2 and the Balancing Act a run for their money though the BA with 307A/AD1s should sound better as they are both more linear tubes... more clarity/better staging he said, but it'd be a close thing.

• 11 months later...

I've been running a Cary Rocket 88 for the past two months to drive my K1000s, and it is definitely a keeper. Single ended and balanced inputs, 20/40 watts per in Triode/Ultralinear modes - I like Triode best, and find the 20 watts plenty. Highly recommended. Here are a couple of reviews: Positive Feedback.com Enjoy the Music.com

And, it's a looker ...

rocket88f1.jpg

rocket88f1rear.jpg

If you're in Maine can I come see your rocket?

That didn't sound too good, did it?

P.s. Maine may be underwater.

I actually called my mom in Maine to see how they're doing (she's got a septic tank and too much rain makes for an unpleasant situation). She told me they got basically nothing, comparatively speaking, with no major issues in her area (near Bar Harbor). So the mid to northern Maine appears to be fine. The southern Maine, on the other hand, is probably underwater and no longer on the map.

That's ok nate, head-case is a judgement free zone, once people like you.

I like Nate unjudgementally. You? Ok, I like you too. Anyone who would drive 50 miles to buy me a beer is ok in my book. Not to mention the chicken & waffles in L.A. Oh, and the fat bottom girl thing .... I guess there are lots of reasons to say Dan is ok, but you didn't hear them from me.