Help! My computer is infected and on it's last limb!

Just an update: The spyware is gone!!!!

The only bad news is that my computer is sloooowwwwww. :(

Regardless, I'm just happy the annoying pop-ups selling me ipods are gone. :)

Cool, glad to hear it. As for the PC being slow, you're going to have to be more specific if you want further help. Slow as in general laggy responsiveness still? If you have sufficient RAM (>1GB for WinXP which I assume you're using) and the swapfile is large enough (more than 2GB), the only reason you'd get slow responsiveness would be either spyware, or too much software resident in memory (or a specific memory-resident program is using a lot of processes). Download a tool like Process Explorer to see what's running and take a screenshot to post back here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my computer gets sluggish all over, its time for a fresh windows install. Usually once a year these days. Doesn't matter how clean you keep the registry, how well defragmented the hard drive, how sensible the ram and pagefile (even on slow hard drives) Windows inevitably just slips into a lethargic old age.

When my computer gets sluggish all over, its time for a fresh windows install. Usually once a year these days. Doesn't matter how clean you keep the registry, how well defragmented the hard drive, how sensible the ram and pagefile (even on slow hard drives) Windows inevitably just slips into a lethargic old age.

I think this might be the problem. I haven't done a clean re-install in about 2 years. Perhaps it's way overdue!

Glad to see you weathered that little shitstorm of spyware. I get so sick of removing that crap from people's systems. Not that it doesn't make me money, though.

How's that new computer fund coming along? ;)

What computer fund? :(

*cries*

I absolutely despise and never use antivirus softwares because a lot of them seem like viruses/adware themselves, just not as bad as the real ones, and they definitely do make the computer run really slow. I usually don't do things or go to sites that would cause me problems with pop-ups or whatever, but when it does happen occasionally, I just system restore to an earlier date I know was fine. Usually just the most recent restore point.

Restore points can be pretty useful in cases where a newly installed driver or app totally hoses things. But it's not much use otherwise.

I used to go the Ghost route but I find it fairly tedious and it doesn't really speed up the recovery process much. For most of my important data I make sure I have a copy on my main pc and my server. For stuff like my music I keep just on the server.

I think this might be the problem. I haven't done a clean re-install in about 2 years. Perhaps it's way overdue!

I don't see the point. I don't agree that Windows can be cured by anything through a reinstall that couldn't be cured without it. I kept computers for ten years at the same speed and have had my current laptop for over five and a half now and its only become slower from windows updates which added on more code IMO. Reinstalling isn't going to help that. I'm personally against the format and reinstall method. It doesn't teach you anything about maintenance or repair.

I also only use system restore in the case that something I installed causes a malfunction. My favorite programs: CCleaner, Pagedefrag, Bootvis, spybot S&D, hijackthis, CWShredder, killbox, and Spacemonger. Windows tools like msconfig and the msc controls can do most everything else. I also use a special disk called Hiren's boot cd in special cases, but its not particularly legal (though amazingly awesome).

More partitions on your boot drive can cause major slowdowns. I use NOD32 for AV because its fast. Turn off services you don't need, run bootvis, do some tweaks, install UPHcleaner, maybe use TweakUI, and you'll be good to go really. Probably should update your drivers, check windows updates, and run secunia software inspector for security for the future.

Hooray running Ubuntu and Knoppix Live!

I have the home computer dual booting, since my family doesnt understand anything without the logo of the evil empire in the bottom left hand corner (they think Vista is gods gift to humanity). I spend half my life using Knoppix to cure everything Vista lets in.

The Windows XP computer I've had since, I believe late 2005, has had zero problems with viruses, worms, etc.

The Vista computer I've had for around a year has had zero problems.

Not because I know what I'm doing, but I just don't do stupid things. (Not that I'm saying all problems stem from this, its just the only reason I see to my lack of viruses)

It does not take very much knowledge to perform windows updates, update java when it asks, and not visit sketchy sites without precautions in place. Spybot immunization combined with a scan every now and again is also a very good idea, not sure I would use Internet Explorer to browse either, but that is more of a personal choice. Maintaining PCs has been a pet peeve of mine, someone might have to hit me with a shovel.

I do fun things but they rarely cause a problem.

The last 4 or 5 major problems have happened AFTER my wife was using it. She is always downloading stuff for her hi5, myspace and facebook pages. She loves those animated gifs etc and is always visiting those websites.

I do fun things but they rarely cause a problem.

The last 4 or 5 major problems have happened AFTER my wife was using it. She is always downloading stuff for her hi5, myspace and facebook pages. She loves those animated gifs etc and is always visiting those websites.

I hope you use a different computer for your music work, right?

I absolutely despise and never use antivirus softwares because a lot of them seem like viruses/adware themselves, just not as bad as the real ones, and they definitely do make the computer run really slow. I usually don't do things or go to sites that would cause me problems with pop-ups or whatever, but when it does happen occasionally, I just system restore to an earlier date I know was fine. Usually just the most recent restore point.

NOD32...a good antivirus program.