JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Mine just arrived.

Listening to them right now. Will take pics later on when I manage to remove them from my ears. Heheh.

The fit is much more comfortable than my ES3X.

Mine were too loose and went back today to get re-fitted a bit tighter. The impressions were taken at CanJam and weren't old shrunken ones, but I had to wiggle and push the JH13Pro in deeper and bite down to get a seal. Then the seal would break too easily and they didn't isolate conversation level noise. Both my ES3X and UE11pro fit and seal better, so at Jerry's suggestion I also sent him my UE11Pro to scan and duplicate the shells. I couldn't send either of my two pair Livewires or Freq Show to scan because none of them fit as well as the ES3X and UE11Pro.

With a good seal the sound is quite good. I spent Saturday and Sunday with them and am working on my review, but I wont have it finished until I get them back. I wanted to ask Jerry if he could turn down the UE11pro bass a little bit, but that wouldn't be fair for my review. :P

Sorry to hear that, Larry. I've got my fingers crossed. If I have fit problems, the right earpiece is perfect on my UE11s, and I can get an impression from that, but I never got the left one right after sending it back twice. It seals perfectly, but irritates both a bit on the outside and inside in places I can't quite describe well enough to get a proper adjustment. It makes wearing them for any length of time (more than one-two hours) a wee-bit painful to very painful, depending on things I don't understand.

Sorry to hear that, Larry. I've got my fingers crossed. If I have fit problems, the right earpiece is perfect on my UE11s, and I can get an impression from that, but I never got the left one right after sending it back twice. It seals perfectly, but irritates both a bit on the outside and inside in places I can't quite describe well enough to get a proper adjustment. It makes wearing them for any length of time (more than one-two hours) a wee-bit painful to very painful, depending on things I don't understand.

Well, I was enjoying the JH13pro so much that I ate the cost of overnight shipping when I sent them back today to have them tightened up in the ear canal portion. It seems that 5 out of my 6 customs have needed a re-fit, so I don't don't blame JHA. I must have funny ears or something, as I always used fresh new impressions.

My first Livewires were too loose in both ears, and the re-dip was still too loose in both ears. So they remade them with new impressions but the left ear is now a little too tight. My spare Livewires with SE530 drivers were also too small, but I painted them with some Tamiya clear acrylic paint to thicken the right ear canal and improve the seal. I had to send the Freq Show back once because they were too loose in the right ear also, and they still came back too loose, but improved. I did the acrylic paint trick on them too, but they didn't come out as smooth as the Livewires did (I still need to do one more layer anyways).

My UE11Pro fit perfectly with a good seal, but they had a sharp edge inside the left ear canal from the ridge that the foam-string made, which would hurt after a couple of hours (or repeated insertions and removals for my review). But, when I got the UE11Pro back a week later they were/are perfect. My ES3X were a perfect fit the first time out, with excellent comfort - I worn them one night for up to 8 hours straight before going to bed and taking them out.

I was promised a fast turn-around jerry, and customer service with JHA has been exemplary, so I have no worries.

I got my impressions for my UE-11s at the actual UE office headquarters in Irvine, and I got my impressions for the ES3X from a local hearing physicians office. Both times, i've had to send back for multiple refits.

End results:

UE-11s: Perfect fit in right ear. Left ear fits but seals less(very small gaps in the fit). Both ears give me no pain or discomfort. Its just weird having one ear be so obviously larger than the other. They adjusted the right earpiece 5 times until they just had to make a completely new one.

ES3X: Left ear is perfect. Right ear fits well too, but gives me slight discomfort after a while. The pain is not as bad as when I first got them, so I can live with it.

Needless to say im not looking for any more custom iems at this point. I don't want to go through the trouble of the refiting process again. When you get custom iems you have to understand that it may not be a perfect fit the first time (if it is then you are lucky and dont need to worry about anything) and that its not just a buy and listen immediately type deal. I should have gotten the JH13, but was obviously off in timing because I got the ES3X's just before the JH13 was announced. Custom iems have given me a great deal of listening pleasure, and new insight in sound reproduction, but the hassle of fitting was not a pleasant one for me.

For those who live in Los Angeles or can make a trip to LA (Beverly Hills) I highly recommend Frances Miranda Rockstarears.com -- Molded to your Music

I got my impressions done with Frances, and Jerry often uses her for his celebrity clients, sometimes even flying her to them to get the impressions done on site.

She is very knowledgable and also has universal fit versions of nearly all the different Custom IEMs. (even the UE11, and will most likely have the JH13 soon as well). It's a rare opportunity to "try before you buy comparison shop" with customs.

-Ed

Frances did my impressions as well. She was great to talk to and a really cool person. I guess Jordin Spark's bass player was having some impressions sent to Jerry so she just mailed mine with his and I didn't have to pay for shipping :). The only thing that sucked (and I knew it would) was parking. It's cool if you don't mind paying, but the few public parking garages fill up rather fast and it can be a bit of a pain finding a spot in the middle of the day.

Yeah, Kathy Peck did two sets of impressions for me at canjam - one for Ultimate Ears and one fo Jerry Harvey.

Kathy Peck did my impressions at CanJam and my UE4 turned out perfect, great fit. I really like the UE4, but I did listen to the JH13 at CanJam and know what I'm missing :(

Mine just arrive at my door 10 minutes ago. They look great (I was worried), and though I've only listened to two songs, I've got to say, I'm pretty blown away (just like I said I wouldn't be). Can't believe I have to go in for a meeting right now. I don't want to take them out of my ears.