JH Audio stuffs

atothex

I'm having to send back my JH13 for a minor refit for my right ear. I'm going to go through withdrawal. :( When the fit is perfect, I don't think it would be too crazy to get another JH13 as a back up. They are seriously THAT awesome.

On a different note, I have been working with a good friend of mine that is car designer for Daimler Chysler to finalize the design of the JH Audio Portable Carrying case.

I chatted with Jerry yesterday, and he said it would be OK if I "leaked" a few images to get some feedback from some of you. I figured Head-Case would be a good place to start in it's early stages.

It's basically inspired off of high end cigarette lighters. If you are at all familiar with Ultimate Ears new Super.Fi line and it's new plastic carry case, This is basically a big, ultimate high end version of that. I'll resize my concept sketches and post them later, but the upper lid would have a plastic insert that holds the 3.5mm plug (to keep it from rubbing up against the ear pieces) and possibly the cleaning tool.

We are initially speccing it out to be Carbon Fiber with a metal lip and hinge assembly (for the hell of it, we asked what it would cost to make it titanium, but I know it will be way too expensive.) The inside would be lined with some sort of softer finish or cloth of some sort.

Because this case is going to be quite expensive to produce, in the future, JH Audio will probably only include this small carry case with the JH Pro Audio customs, and offer the Big Carbon Fiber case for purchase separately. Or perhaps maybe customer's choice.

-Ed

Schwing! Love the case - if it's in CF I'll buy one!

And, no it isn't nuts to want to buy a spare JH13Pro. My spares are a UE11pro and ES3X, but two of your favorite actually makes more sense.

ok you gotdam enabler shills. I have been avoiding this thread like the plague, but here I am. I have a UE10 pro and a UE 5c. I want the following information, and I want it now:

1) How does the JH13 compare, with specificity, to the UE10 pro (NOT the 11)? SQ, comfort, build quality, etc.

Can't help there.

2) For those of you who have owned custom IEMs in the past, especially UE, are the JH13s more comfortable? If so, in what ways, and is it because JH has made some sort of manufacturing change?

Mine are very comfortable, as are my UE11pro and ES3X, with a very slight lead to the ES3X with heat sensitive tips if listening for more than 5-6 hours at a time. My Livewires needed 3 re-fits and went from too loose to too tight, so I can't wear them for more than 1-2 hours at a time. I can wear the JH13Pro for 8 hours or more, but after 5-6 hours I want to take them out and rest my ears. I don't have to do that 5-6 hour break with my ES3X and heat-sensitive tips.

3) My customs tend to induce a pressurized feeling in my ears due to the seal (and I am very familiar with the fit tweaks). Do you folks find the same deal with the JH13?

I've never had that feeling except with my Livewires which are too tight.

4) How does the JH13 compare directly to the HD800 (and save the "big can" v. "IEM" caveats)?

I would pick my JH13Pro over my HD800 for most of my listening.

Somebody mentioned (I think it was JP#s) that JH would remold a pair for $200. If that's the case, they'd have considerably more than $0 resale value.

I am pretty sure that statment pertained to Westone. I am almost certain that it is not the case with JH, though I have not asked them about that issue personally.

I'm having to send back my JH13 for a minor refit for my right ear. I'm going to go through withdrawal. :( When the fit is perfect, I don't think it would be too crazy to get another JH13 as a back up. They are seriously THAT awesome.

On a different note, I have been working with a good friend of mine that is car designer for Daimler Chysler to finalize the design of the JH Audio Portable Carrying case.

I chatted with Jerry yesterday, and he said it would be OK if I "leaked" a few images to get some feedback from some of you. I figured Head-Case would be a good place to start in it's early stages.

It's basically inspired off of high end cigarette lighters. If you are at all familiar with Ultimate Ears new Super.Fi line and it's new plastic carry case, This is basically a big, ultimate high end version of that. I'll resize my concept sketches and post them later, but the upper lid would have a plastic insert that holds the 3.5mm plug (to keep it from rubbing up against the ear pieces) and possibly the cleaning tool.

We are initially speccing it out to be Carbon Fiber with a metal lip and hinge assembly (for the hell of it, we asked what it would cost to make it titanium, but I know it will be way too expensive.) The inside would be lined with some sort of softer finish or cloth of some sort.

Because this case is going to be quite expensive to produce, in the future, JH Audio will probably only include this small carry case with the JH Pro Audio customs, and offer the Big Carbon Fiber case for purchase separately. Or perhaps maybe customer's choice.

-Ed

Case looks great! Any specs on the overall size? Because if it's not fairly pocketable, it isn't that much more useful than the big case.

1) How does the JH13 compare, with specificity, to the UE10 pro (NOT the 11)? SQ, comfort, build quality, etc.

2) For those of you who have owned custom IEMs in the past, especially UE, are the JH13s more comfortable? If so, in what ways, and is it because JH has made some sort of manufacturing change?

3) My customs tend to induce a pressurized feeling in my ears due to the seal (and I am very familiar with the fit tweaks). Do you folks find the same deal with the JH13?

4) How does the JH13 compare directly to the HD800 (and save the "big can" v. "IEM" caveats)?

I have both. The JH-13s are a big step up. Their soundstage is only a little bit larger. But top and bottom extension, as well as detail retrieval, is hugely superior with the JH-13s. The whole spectrum is more transparent too. Bass always sounded similar with the UE-10s. It

Since I wear glasses, I have a lot of issues with microphonics with the JH13's because they are a flatter profile (not as deep/thick) as my ES3X. Also, the stock cable that JH Audio uses is not as good (ergonomically) as the custom one Westone uses. Particularly the Yoke slide clear sleeve is a bit too long and difficult to use compared to the molded disc part that the Westone ES cable has. As a result the JH Audio cable chokes up under your chin more tightly than the Westone cable, unless you wear it behind the head, which is how they were designed to be used initially.

I just ended up using the Westone cable, but if I wrap the cables behind my ears, it's microphonics city. I think a longer section of memory wire would probably help.

I usually let the wires hang down my ears, rather than behind my ears.

-Ed

Is here anybody who had a chance a little bit compare UM3X with this?

I listen UM3X with middle shure olives-foams and sound is very nice, good balance, more on the warm side, symptoms of organic which I like, tone is sweet and overall it is nice analog sound. Highs, imagine, sparkle could be still better but it is not bad. Open sound is missing me as well but it is only in-ears, no miracle. So relatively I don't have need upgrade on JH audio but these threads descripe 13Pro almost as new God between headphones :D so maybe I will try my first customs soon (I hoped and said myself never buy customs please :palm: I am totaly lost in this hobby)

Another point. Maybe JH13 are big luxus for me becose I will not avail of their potencial. I will use them mainly with mp3 player in bad for relax and occasionally for traveling.

Heh.

Mortgage + Kid = double whammy, but I love both so it's ok.

Just wait until tuition kicks in, and of course there are Lily's music lessons.

Sometimes I wish my daughter played the harmonica instead of the piano, I would be well on my way to that Emm Labs dac by now. :P

Well, I've packed up my JH13 for shipment. It's going to be angonizing wait. Only thig worse than waiting in anticipation for the first time is waiting after you've had them for awhile. :(

-Ed

That's why I haven't sent mine back. Not sure I want to be without them. I'll deal with the slight fit issue as it has no effect on SQ.