I have a good headphone and source but...

malmstrom

... I don't have the amp! Lol!!

First of all, hi to all :)

As I reported in the Title, I've already a vintage rs-1 recabled apuresound V3 and a Bluenote Stibber as cd-player.

But I don't have the amp, I would like to recive some suggestions. I'm thinking of some valve amp in the price range of 1000euro/1500dollars, no more :(.

I'm thinking also about the earmax SE, what do you think about?

I've already possessed a rudistor nx-01 and nx-33ev08!

For now thanks a lot!

Marco

Agreed - a woo amp would be a great choice. I love my maxed WA6 which has some some additional upgrades (pseudo dual power supply and Sophia Princess rectifier). With all the mods and tube upgrade it goes for about $1200 USD, and sounds fantastic with the RS-1, any other Grados, and even HD600/HD800. Side by side with a $2,200 Zana Deux it holds it's own and to me sounded just as good.

Have you any experience listening to SET (Single Ended Triode) amps driving speakers? For some people the SET sound is truly addictive. Woo also sells a very fine SET head amp, and it costs around $2500, which is a lot of money for a head-fier, I realize. But the SET sound is out of this world. Don't let class A SE (single ended) fool you. In 9-10 cases, these amps don't sound even close to a directly heated triode (DHT) like the 300B. You can even pay as much as $850 for a pair of new production Western Electric 300B tubes from their factory!

No, the DNA is not SET. It's single-ended class A, transformer output coupled, but does not use a directly heated trioed like the 300B. However, it's gotten some very good reviews. It remains to be seen if Donald is going to become a credible manufacturer. It's a really tough road to hoe, making the transition from DIY to a business.

I have not heard any Woo amp and I have only heard one SET head amp, a DIY model, but it had the same magic sound and great dynamics as my speaker amp and I liked it much better than my SP MPX3 SE Slam or MAD Ear+ HD. So, researching SET head amps is a priority. I have way too much stuff.

I agree with the recommendations for transformer coupled tube amps and the RS-1 although I dont have much experience with the ones mentioned here.

No, the DNA is not SET. It's single-ended class A, transformer output coupled, but does not use a directly heated trioed like the 300B.

SET means that there is only 1 triode per active stage, and is independent of whether they are directly or indirectly heated.

The DNA amp is SET for sure, with only 1 triode per channel.

I have heard the Woo 6 though not the maxed out version, I don't think it's that good of a match for the RS-1, the main issue being the midbass & midrange not being clear & detailed enough, along with too much "tube sound". My guess is the output transformers & power supply isn't up to task as I've heard better results with the same tubes in one of my proof of concept DIY amps.

My recommendation for that price range is the Trafomatic Head One which I found to be quite a bit better with my RS-1's. It's quite neutral with a more detailed presentation. I'm not sure what it costs in Europe but it's around $1000 USD over in North America.

I have heard the Woo 6 though not the maxed out version, I don't think it's that good of a match for the RS-1, the main issue being the midbass & midrange not being clear & detailed enough, along with too much "tube sound". My guess is the output transformers & power supply isn't up to task as I've heard better results with the same tubes in one of my proof of concept DIY amps.

My recommendation for that price range is the Trafomatic Head One which I found to be quite a bit better with my RS-1's. It's quite neutral with a more detailed presentation. I'm not sure what it costs in Europe but it's around $1000 USD over in North America.

That was exactly my problem with the Amperex "Bugle Boy" GZ34 rectifier in my WA6 at first - but the "pseudo dual power supply upgrade and Sophia Princess 274b rectifier fixed all of that, and vastly improved the separation and soundstage as well (it needed about 80 hours for the tube to settle down, but only 20 hours to sound better than before).

• 2 weeks later...
Can you esplain why do you suggest me this amp? It's seems a portable amp, wonderful in look? How does it sounds? :)

He was being a smart ass and was not serious. The same was true about a Trevor Networks amp. Neither of those is what you are looking for. I do find both of those posts to be quite funny though.

I agree with the recommendations for transformer coupled tube amps and the RS-1 although I dont have much experience with the ones mentioned here.

SET means that there is only 1 triode per active stage, and is independent of whether they are directly or indirectly heated.

The DNA amp is SET for sure, with only 1 triode per channel.

You're right, of course, and I am wrong. Also I have not heard the Sonnet, but I have never heard an Indirectly heated triode that can match a DHT. The same goes for pentodes wired as triodes in SE mode.

Oh.. I decided that I will wait for some months (right now I'm away for my thesis project). In that time I will follow some DNY project I'm intrested in.

I will also follow the new Goldpoint amp and SPL Auditor (the last is intresting because of the balanced imput!)

Marco

Well, I only tried it in a local audio store so take my impressions with a pinch of salt. My friend likened it to a more powerful and refined (souped-up, if you will) Graham Slee Solo SRG. On the warmer side of neutral, good PRaT, layering and bass control. Basically, if you like the sound of the Auditor, at half the price of the Phonitor I don't see the need for any consideration unless you really like to tweak your sound which in that case the Phonitor would be the better choice.

Setup was CEC TL53Z + SPL Phonitor/Auditor + Edition 8/K701/Vintage RS1