Omega II or HD800

arnesto

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will only (ever) sell my he60 if absolutely forced to... along with the two amps built to drive them. And, even as much as I hate the hev70, that is part of the package.

Now, if I could only get the balls to flip the switch on the new stat amp... just too much expense to endure any archy-sparky. Then I'll know how the he60 really compare to the hd800. But, then I have to have a comparable dynamic amp.

Any Stax II model is export so if you were to buy from Japan then they are A models. There is no difference besides the A models only being available in silver and being wired for 100v operation. That can be changed though with a bit of soldering. It's well worth it for the huge savings.

What part needs to be modified, is it the headphones or the energiser?

Can you just buy the headphone from Japan and an electrostatic headphone amp from Headamp or Wooaudio without having to modify or solder your equipment.

Antonio it was meet conditions so I don't want to post much detail, but the KGSS has far better control. The SR-007 was anything, but laid back. A few other attendees thought the same.

I bought a pair of Blue Hawaii PCB and several of the rare transistors needed, to hopefully build one and see if I like it (with massive help from my friends who can read a schematic). But at a meet in Feb I thought my GES was more musical than Naamanf's DIY KGBH, although his was faster and punchier. I figured I could get this BH built for almost half the cost of a KGSS (based on Naaman's estimate from a year ago). And I wonder if maybe tube rolling in the KGBH could help if needed (not sure I have read about that helping much).

But now it sounds like it would be easier to buy a KGSS to compare to my GES, and then sell the one I don't like. I could put the new one on credit card and pay it off by selling one of the two amps or unloading some different amps. What I'm afraid of is that I will like the KGSS with my O2 Mk1 but the GES with everything else, and be stuck wanting to keep both. :eek: (this is based on plaidplatypus comments that my GES actually sounded better with Lambdas and other non-O2 phones than his KGSS ever did).

I know I liked the KGBHSE at CanJam a lot - but to get one I'd have to sell at a loss my GES, WA6, Sq Wave, Amphora, some IEM like IE8, and maybe either my APS v3 RS-1 or woodied D2000 to get the funds. I could still keep the GES and WA6 if I sold the other stuff for a KGSS instead of KGBHSE. It doesn't make sense to sell any of my electrostatic headphones to pay for a more powerful stat amp because that would be like selling my hair to pay for a blow-dryer.

Are there any differences between the older silver Omega II and the newer black Omega II MKII, besides the color?

Are there any cheap energizers for the Omega II that are made in the US. So far, I know about the one at HeadAmp.com and at WooAudio. And neither of them are cheap.

Ok, this tread has changed my mind. I was planning on ordering the HD800, but after posting this thread and reading everyones opinion.

I think it will be wise to get another listen to the Omega II and the HD800.

So, I'll have to read up on the Stax tread, but buying an energizer for the Omega II is a little difficult. Because the ones that people seem to like are no longer in production like the Singlepower ES1.

The ones that are in production like the HeadAmp is described as being dark and thin or shy on the bass.

Thanks for the info. guys because I didn't want through the trial and error process like you guys did.

Ok, this tread has changed my mind. I was planning on ordering the HD800, but after posting this thread and reading everyones opinion.

I think it will be wise to get another listen to the Omega II and the HD800.

So, I'll have to read up on the Stax tread, but buying an energizer for the Omega II is a little difficult. Because the ones that people seem to like are no longer in production like the Singlepower ES1.

The ones that are in production like the HeadAmp is described as being dark and thin or shy on the bass.

Thanks for the info. guys because I didn't want through the trial and error process like you guys did.

That sounds a lot more like a quantum mechanic wavefunction rather than an amp ;D Please don't troll us, if you can help it.

So far, I have to agree. I've owned both versions of the Omega II and sold them (albeit I've only heard them with the 007t, the 727, and the ES1). The HD800 is a better-sounding headphone and is a keeper.

The more interesting question to me is HD800 or HE60 + good amp? There is just something magical about the Baby Orpheus that I can't let go of.

Ok, the KGSS DX is in the house. So now I'm listening to the O2 out of that and the HD800 out of the Gilmore Light. Let's just say that so far, the O2 is getting more playing time. The GLite is a very capable amp, but I think the 800 will need the B22 to keep up.

I wish I could listen to you KGSS DX :D I never heard one.

At Canjam I listened a lot to both the O2 and the HD800. Each out of premier amps - the O2 out of THE COOTER & BHSE, HD800 out of TTVJ 307a. For my money, I'd take the the O2 10 times out of 10. Don't get me wrong, the 800 sounded fine...it just didn't excite me. There was no magic there. OTOH, I wanted to have an electrostat amp implanted in my back so I could have the O2 with we everywhere I went for the rest of my life.