Apple Tablet

You'd think that Logitech/Slim would be working on an app like crazy.

Think an app is really needed? The web interface should work just fine.

Unless, it's Flash based or some other thing that an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch can't deal with in it's browser. I don't know... I've never had a squeezebox and an iPod touch... sold the Squeezebox and just use Airport Expresses around the house.

Not only that, but the Logitech/Slim Devices music server software is there for their hardware. Add an app to an i-device that then allows you to stream music to that device and you circumvent the need for Slim Device's hardware.

Think an app is really needed? The web interface should work just fine.

I admittedly haven't played with the web interface in a while but my recollection is that it was neither pretty nor very snappy. What I'm talking about is something that would mimic iTunes coverflow and allow the iPad to act much like the SB Touch remote does. I know there are already things that sort of do this, the names escape me now, but again when I tried one the responsiveness left me wanting.

I admittedly haven't played with the web interface in a while but my recollection is that it was neither pretty nor very snappy. What I'm talking about is something that would mimic iTunes coverflow and allow the iPad to act much like the SB Touch remote does. I know there are already things that sort of do this, the names escape me now, but again when I tried one the responsiveness left me wanting.

ipeng works well on my touch. Surprised Thrice didn't pipe up about it :). The web interface continues to improve and actually works pretty well with version 7.4.x.

Edit: Beaten by Monsieur GPH

Hopefully, I can figure it out or you can figure it out for me. :)

I tried to install Jaadu on my desktop computer in preparation for using the iPad as a VNC. Unfortunately, my ATT 2Wire router does not support autoconfiguration, and when I tried to configure it manually, it was a headache. I looked around for other options, and found this:

www.teamviewer.com

There is now an iPhone/iTouch app: www.teamviewer.com/iphone

This is a free (if used for personal use, not business) remote access program. I tried it out on my various computers, and it seems to work great, and is very easy to install and use. I'm not technical enough to know the advantage of a true VNC over this, or to understand the details about security. But the web site states it is encrypted and uses the same standard as SSL.

I hope to use this for remote access of all my computers via the iPad. Perhaps this would work for you, as well?

On another topic, what do experienced Apple people think about the Apple Care program for $99? I don't usually go for extended warranties, but am willing to pay a bit for technical support, especially on a new and unfamiliar gadget, and for reduced down time in the event of a problem/repair.

One more thing I haven't seen mentioned from the prebuy camp (and one specifically for Stephen), the email I just got from Apple (which seems oddly timed after the presale already started...) indicated that you can reserve an iPad for pickup at your local Apple store. Might be an interesting option for those who don't have Saturday delivery options but might also mean deal with the possibility of hoards of idiots.

16GB WiFi ordered. Looks like I'll get mine on April 5, since it's shipping to my office and not my home. Oh well. Maybe, just maybe, it'll show up a day early through some weird shipping anomaly, it's happened with other Apple products in the past....... I seriously doubt it though.
Or two of them shows up which has happened with Apple products to two people I know.

One more thing I haven't seen mentioned from the prebuy camp (and one specifically for Stephen), the email I just got from Apple (which seems oddly timed after the presale already started...) indicated that you can reserve an iPad for pickup at your local Apple store. Might be an interesting option for those who don't have Saturday delivery options but might also mean deal with the possibility of hoards of idiots.

Yeah, I saw that.... and thanks for the heads up. It would be fun to be there despite lines, long waits... etc. but we are going to be busy that weekend and nowhere near an Apple Store.... sigh.

When requesting the switch, those customers are being told that their existing orders will have to be cancelled and new in-store orders placed. However, the employees warn, demand for the iPad has been so "overwhelming" today that they can no longer guarantee that an in-store pickup order will be available on April 3rd if placed at this late hour.

(Apple) Computer says no?

When requesting the switch, those customers are being told that their existing orders will have to be cancelled and new in-store orders placed. However, the employees warn, demand for the iPad has been so "overwhelming" today that they can no longer guarantee that an in-store pickup order will be available on April 3rd if placed at this late hour.

(Apple) Computer says no?

tshirts, syringes, gift certificates for brothels, free 72" 1080p tvs, etc

Well, no wonder everyone wants to pick it up at the store! :P