cheap but decent quality preamps?

recstar24

I am currently going over ideas on beefing up my speaker rig. I've got my power amp pretty much solidified, but I need ideas for a cheap preamp that can suffice until I replace it with a more high end headphone/preamp combo.

B&K PRO 10

Don't know much about that pre, but $329 for a FET discrete pre with MM/MC phono stage and balanced output doesn't sound too shabby.

Any ideas or thoughts you can share would be great. Again cheaper the better, ideally not a long term solution.

One would ask the question, Ryan: isn't there a preamp in your Si2a3?

yes, the si2a3/45H does have a volume control for the input. Obviously I am aware of this, so using that logic, the presence of the original question could possibly lead you to believe that I might possibly be heading in another direction;)

Yeah, I'm looking for a cheap preamp, myself. I'll probably be getting a Musical Fidelity X-CAN v8p until I can get the Conrad-Johnson of my dreams. They also had a small form factor pre with multiple inputs, whose name I cannot remember.

Used, I'd look into just about anything from the Musical Fidelity lines: A3.2, A308, A5, Nu-Vista, etc. The A3^CR is very good (I owned it for a while), but the A3.2 is supposed to be just a tiny bit better. I'd also look into used Conrad-Johnsons.

yes, the si2a3/45H does have a volume control for the input. Obviously I am aware of this, so using that logic, the presence of the original question could possibly lead you to believe that I might possibly be heading in another direction;)

Are you sticking with the hornshoppes or just going for a complete overhaul?

I am currently going over ideas on beefing up my speaker rig. I've got my power amp pretty much solidified, but I need ideas for a cheap preamp that can suffice until I replace it with a more high end headphone/preamp combo.

B&K PRO 10

Don't know much about that pre, but $329 for a FET discrete pre with MM/MC phono stage and balanced output doesn't sound too shabby.

Any ideas or thoughts you can share would be great. Again cheaper the better, ideally not a long term solution.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1260671894&/Classe-Twenty-Preamp--Black

[url=http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1260410631&/Linn-Pretek]AudiogoN ForSale: Linn Pretek-

AudiogoN ForSale: Ps Audio 4.5 Preamp in good