The Rape Tunnel

falkon

A quote, as I am wont to do:

"In 2007 at the Seward Projects Space in Columbus, I had my first breakthrough with an installation that was to be the prototype for this current one. It was called THE PUNCH-YOU-IN-THE-FACE TUNNEL. It was the same set-up as THE RAPE TUNNEL except at the end of the tunnel I’d punch the subject in the face instead of raping him or her"

ok, I'm all for performance art and over the top kinds of shit, but this guy needs to spend 6 months at Rikers Island, Sing Sing, or San Quentin.

Then come out and try a rape tunnel. Whole different meaning, I'm thinking.

Yeah, the sheer arrogance of the guy. I truly, truly hope that he gets somebody go through who beats the living shit out of him.

It's not like it's actually real or anything.

Even as a joke, it is in very poor taste. I'm all for gutter humour, provocative art, poking fun at everything...... but this really is just fucked up.

What's the point of provocation if it doesn't make you extremely uncomfortable?

You can be provocative and still have someone ultimately feel better or 'improved' for the experience. But that is more difficult.

Provocation like this, without any 'benefit' is the easy, low road. There is no life experience or insight to come from this for anybody.

hmmmm ... just read the artist description ...

ARTLURKER THE RAPE TUNNEL By Sheila Zareno

So, I'm thinking if I get a ticket to Columbus, and fly out there, i have free reign to kick this guy's ass (literally and figuratively) if I make it through the tunnel? Seems a cheap plane ticket to me in the interest of setting the world clock aright. Anyone wanna be a witness or accomplice?

To this day she still has unpaid medical bills. The point of this long aside is that all this took place two years ago, and I’m still having an impact on this young lady’s life, something not many other artists could claim about their work.

Rape seemed like the next logical step.

You just can't make this shit up. I laughed and then felt horrible about it.

Officially fake...news.com.au posted it as fact across the web sites of a bunch of newspapers around Australia, even after most people already knew it was a fake. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the idiot in question who posted it got called up for a "performance discussion" over it.

• 2 weeks later...