The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Wayne Shorter quartet. They played one song for the entire set, and it was fucking amazing. My entire row left! What idiots.

Something for me to look forward to! Seeing them on April 11 or so.

I went to see the Charles Lloyd Quartet last night in a celebration of his 70th birthday. With him were Jason Moran on piano, Eric Harland on drums, and Reuben Rogers on bass. Without notice, tabla (hand drum) master Zakir Hussein joined the quartet for most of the set. In sum,

Charles fucking Lloyd is the muthafucking Man!

He played well even though his sax was fucked up from being dropped that day, and his tone by the end of a rich 2-hour set was really sweet. He also played flute, clarinet, 4-handed piano with Moran, and maracas, and danced around the stage and hovered over the youngsters like a proud father. But he clearly let them run and did not hold them back. If anything, you could see their admiration and inspiration from the man, without that stand-offish idolizing that sometimes happens with young players supporting great old timers. Here, instead of that, the quartet was amaZing, individually and together, and Zakir really added some great shit on talbas and percussion. Lloyd, Harlan and Hussein also play together separately and that really showed in some interplay between them was great including call and response drumming, vocal tone "singing" and scatting. Hard to describe in writing but great in action.

I guess I am violating Charles Lloyd's last comments by describing the show. He said that what went on tonight is personal and private and should be kept to ourselves. "Don't let THEM know, that YOU know, what WE know!" Oh well, I had to share it anyway.

Go see this cat wherever and whenever you can. Some amazing shit that I am so glad I did not miss to see Ray Davies (as per earlier thread).

Zakir Hussain? You lucky bastard. That's one hell of an unexpected guest.

Check out Saturday Night In Bombay by Remember Shakti for another great example of jazz + Indian classical music, with John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain and many others. I made a topic about ICM a while ago -- one of my favorite forms, I highly recommend investigating it further.

Zakir Hussain? You lucky bastard. That's one hell of an unexpected guest.

Check out Saturday Night In Bombay by Remember Shakti for another great example of jazz + Indian classical music, with John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain and many others. I made a topic about ICM a while ago -- one of my favorite forms, I highly recommend investigating it further.

I felt pretty lucky, especially after he started playing. It was very cool to watch and he was worlds beyond the other tambla players I have seen. I will definitely check out that record, sounds great.

Sounds pretty awesome Voltron. I was hoping you'd pick Charles Lloyd. ;D

Yeah, it seemed like the right choice to my wife and we were both so happy to have made it almost from the first moments.

What show? I am thinking of cutting out on poker early to link up with you guys.

You need to share this information. I bought 2 tickets to the 10pm show at Yoshi's. There are still tickets available but at a different table. If you want to go, I guess I could call them and see if they can move us.

You need to share this information. I bought 2 tickets to the 10pm show at Yoshi's. There are still tickets available but at a different table. If you want to go, I guess I could call them and see if they can move us.

It's kind of a pipe-dream, but I may try to leave a little early and make my way over there. I will just buy a ticket if there are any--and Yoshi's usually has something lying around. JP thought you were going for the 8pm show which was completely out. We shall see, but don't buy anything or move anything.

stanleeanne.jpg

Stan and LeeAnne -- just ran into them at Sugarloaf Crafts fair -- I had no idea who I was running into when I ran into them in front of a vendor's tent, but the woman of the pair happened to spot my Happy The Man t-shirt, and said, "Look, he's wearing your shirt", and I was like "whu?", and she was like, "This is Stan Whitaker". I nearly tripped over myself, I did trip over my tongue. Stan is probably in my top 10 favorite guitarists ever. He's amazing. Anyway, they devoted their entire 55 minute set to me. She's got a great voice, and he's just amazing, even if he's "just" playing an acoustic. They're doing mostly covers now, but are going to start introducing some original material, and he's still got Oblivion Sun.

I'm so glad I was wearing the shirt, because if I hadn't been, I'd have been cold...erm...I mean, I would never have known into whom I had just run. I mean, look at the above picture, they look completely unimposing.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.. saw Feist last night. That was incredible.

Also, I saw Voxtrot on campus... it was weird. There were maybe 30 people there and they played the first half of their set before a fashion show and then finished afterwards. I had no idea there would be a fashion show. Feist and Voxtrot had two of the best sounding live sets I've ever heard. Most concerts I go to are mixed awful but these two were great.

Yeah haha! And most of them were parents of people in the fashion show :P Maybe 10 people looked like they were actually there to see Voxtrot. I thought their setup sounded better than Fiests :o Probably the best sounding live setup I've ever heard.

Oh yeah... the show was free O0

I have two to add.

I saw the Wayne Shorter Quartet with the Immani Winds Quintet last Friday. Very cool, and Shorter certainly still can blow. The Quartet songs were the best, by far, but the combined numbers were pretty cool too. There were a couple of Quartet songs that were simply stunning, and the interplay of his rhythm section is great. I especially liked drummer Brian Blade and he really riffed amazingly with both pianist Danilo Perez and bassist John Patitucci (who are great themselves). Great stuff, here's a taste:

YouTube - Joy Ryder - Wayne Shorter Quartet

Tift Merritt was last night, and it was a really good show. She was kind of a more rockin' Alison Krauss with a smaller group and no dobro. Anyway, I liked the show and she has a great voice. Sara Watkins of Nickel Creek opened and Denmont Tench joined her on his night off from Tom Petty's Mudcrutch tour. She had a fabulous voice and played fiddle or ukelele, while Tench jammed on the organ or piano. Good stuff, including a cool cover "I go to sleep" by the Pretenders.

They played seperate songs? ;D

Yup. They had pretty clear arrangements and even used sheet music too! :kitty: I couldn't convince my mother-in-law of that though. She enjoyed it but she hasn't been to a real jazz show in 40+ years and she was saying it was all pure improvisation back in the day and it still sounded that way to her now. The whole discussion was funny but hard to translate to thread-speak.

Yup. They had pretty clear arrangements and even used sheet music too! :kitty: I couldn't convince my mother-in-law of that though. She enjoyed it but she hasn't been to a real jazz show in 40+ years and she was saying it was all pure improvisation back in the day and it still sounded that way to her now. The whole discussion was funny but hard to translate to thread-speak.

Huh, when I saw them they had no arrangements or sheet music or anything, and it did seem mostly improvised. Also they just played one thing with no breaks. I guess they try different stuff at different shows.

Huh, when I saw them they had no arrangements or sheet music or anything, and it did seem mostly improvised. Also they just played one thing with no breaks. I guess they try different stuff at different shows.

I am sure that is true, about trying different things and such, but they were performing at least one new composition that he had written for the SF Jazz festival. They had sheets -- Patitucci alone had a 6-page wide spread for one number -- and played 3 distinct songs as a quartet, then several more with the Imani Winds (I'm forgetting but I think 3 more) and then they bowed and left for good. No encores. The Imani Winds also did an original Shorter composition that he wrote for them.

Widespread Panic

4-18-06

Orange Beach, AL

The Wharf

I: Wonderin' > Walkin', Tickle the Truth, Greta > Jam > Xmas Katie, Action Man, Old Joe, Flicker > Conrad the Caterpillar

II: Good People, Stop-Go > You Got Yours, Aunt Avis, You Should Be Glad, Airplane*, Drums > Drums & Bass > Drums & Bass & Guitars > Jam > Proving Ground > Life During Wartime

E: Ain't No Use > Blackout Blues

* - started raining just before the line "sittin' around watchin the rain fall / i don't know how it could rain so long" :prettyprincess:

their flow wasn't always perfect, but overall a well played showed and a great setlist, sans "Tickle The Truth" which is an OK song but poorly placed after the intense one two punch of wonderin > walkin. loved the Old Joe since I'd never had one before, same with Aunt Avis, which was particularly cool since I am a big Vic Chesnutt fan. And any set with both a "You Got Yours" and "You Should Be Glad" is OK with me. :dance:

about to back a bag and head to pickup the girlfriend for a trip to New Orleans for Ministry and Meshuggah, then back to OB on Sunday for more Panic. I am absolutely in love with my life in this weekend. ;D

shoddy iphone pics:

img0193yq7.jpg

img0191cx1.jpg

img0190pu1.jpg

img0188bi3.jpg

their flow wasn't always perfect, but overall a well played showed and a great setlist, sans "Tickle The Truth" which is an OK song but poorly placed after the intense one two punch of wonderin > walkin. loved the Old Joe since I'd never had one before, same with Aunt Avis, which was particularly cool since I am a big Vic Chesnutt fan. And any set with both a "You Got Yours" and "You Should Be Glad" is OK with me. :dance: