The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

me and my girlfriend are taking our vacations the week after July 4th, and we are thinking of heading up Atlanta way to see Boris play. Anyone ever seen Boris live? I can't imagine it would be anything but amazing, but I still wanted to ask.

this would mean I'd see Tom Waits and Boris in the same week. sweetest week ever.

A couple of weeks ago I saw The Bad Plus along with Doctor Three, and the night was billed as "new standards" because they both play covers of popular/rock tunes rather than just traditional jazz standards. They are both piano/bass/ drum trios, and although I have never heard of Doctor Three, who came over from Italy, they were great. They played mostly covers while The Bad Plus played mostly originals. The Doctor Three played everything from the Theme from Shindler's List to Come Together to Wayne Shorter's Footprints to Kalifornication. They were awesome musicians. The Bad Plus is a great live band and their original compositions is some of the best contemporary jazz I know of. Their covers were Neil Young's Heart of Gold and David Bowie's Life on Mars. Great stuff.

Last night, I saw the Brazilian singer Rosa Pasos and her band. Incredible voice and spirit. I almost felt like I could understand a little Portuguese by the end of the show, and even though it would add something to know what she is saying you certainly get the feeling of it anyway. She was backed by a piano, bass, sax and drums. Just a plain joy.

Next week is REM outside at the Greek Theater in Berkeley. It will be my 5th or 6th time seeing them. Lost count.

I went to the Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden Concert. Amazing shown. Really had a great time. An hour before the concert it was hailing pretty bad and I believe the twister touch down some where close by. Pretty messed up weather this year so far in Atlanta areas.

Montreal Symphony Orchestra last concert of the season:

Kent Nagano, conductor

Till Fellner, pianist

Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor)

Dmitri Shostakovich, Symphony No. 7 (Leningrad)

I had never heard that Shostakovich symphony before and it was great experience live. It's supposed to represent the Nazi invasion of URSS and I could totally picture it in my head during some sections. The Beethoven concerto was great too, the pianist was very precise and the orchestra followed well. I always suck at finding the right words for describing classical concerts, but you get the picture. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Oliver Lake for free outside in Petoranello Gardens.

The epicness cannot be overstated. It was about to thunderstorm so there were huge gusts of wind blowing leaves everywhere while their clothes swayed, with thunder and lightning behind them, all while his trio played some of the most amazing and out there music I've ever heard. It was like Dragonball Z with music, in real life. Even though it got cut short cause of rain and me and my friends ran on to help save their instruments and equipment, it was amazing.

Also the guy who opened, Edmar Castaneda, played some of the ballsiest Colombian jazz harp I've ever heard.

my condolences :)

The show was pretty good. These guys just don't have the energy of other acts I seen in the last three years, but they are really old in dog years. Stephen Stills voice has really diminished, but he can still rock on a guitar. They finished with a rocking rendition of Wooden Ships, my favorite CS&N song. All in all it was very enjoyable to hear some of the songs of my youth.

just got back from seeing Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Amazing.

They are in town next week, and Stacy and I are going. Maybe Dan will approve of this choice. :o

Did they do stuff totally from the album? Covers? Any zep? Plant solo stuff? Anything from her back catalog?

they played every song from the Raising Sand album. She did a few songs from her back catalog, but I didn't know any of the songs, so I can't tell you which. As for zep stuff, they did acoustic versions of Stairway to Heaven and Rock and Roll.

They are in town next week, and Stacy and I are going.

awesome. enjoy the show, it was great.

Coming back from seeing Iron Maiden with two of my buddies at the Heavy MTL festival. It confirmed one more time that Bruce Dickinson is the ultimate heavy metal frontman and that Iron Maiden fucking rocks. Solid setlist, incredible level of energy from all the band members and the crowd, it was a great show.

Am I seeing that correctly -- he's got video projection screens...of himself?

The screens weren't used much for cameras. They are used for visual effects, mostly.

Oh man, Webster Hall was one of the worst venues I've been for music (but not that bad of a club). But I havent been there for a DJ so maybe it wasnt that bad :)

It wasn't bad for a DJ, since its basically a club atmosphere. That said, the staff had no fucking idea what was going on. Each person would have a different story. First it was: buy a bottle to get a private booth in VIP. So we go talk to the dude we need to talk to to get a bottle of Moet. He says, no you need two bottles. We arrange for two bottles, another guy says no you need $1k. We like fuck that, and we go stand right on the edge of the balcony, with a great view of Tiesto. All's well that ends well :prettyprincess: