The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Sounds like great marketting for the bubbly.

As to the projection screens Dusty, it's not unusual for projection screens to project the performer. Helps people in poor visibility locations feel like they can see what's going on.

As to the projection screens Dusty, it's not unusual for projection screens to project the performer. Helps people in poor visibility locations feel like they can see what's going on.
I know what they're usually used for, but usually, the image is larger than life -- the particular shot looked like he was just multiplying the number of images people saw of him -- struck me as kind of narcissistic. "Hey, look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me!"

I know what they're usually used for, but usually, the image is larger than life -- the particular shot looked like he was just multiplying the number of images people saw of him -- struck me as kind of narcissistic. "Hey, look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me!"

well, yeah, he's fucking tiesto. ;)

Thanks for sharing the nice pics JB.

Tom Waits! :dance:

I had so many words to describe it during the show, but now I'm tired and am at a loss. Basically he is a hell of an entertainer and it was a true pleasure, nay, a blessing, to just bathe in the aether of Tom's mind for an evening.

"Chocolate Jesus" was great, as was "Cemetery Polka". "Goin' Out West" encore was unexpected and delightful. We also learned important things, like one in every ten men is important (or impotent), that the moon smells like fireworks and the only substances on earth with the same density as moon rock are provolone and vermont cheddar, and that buzz aldrin was the first man to pee in his pants on the moon, also spam never decomposes.

I saw the Feelies reunion yesterday. Very satisfying. For anyone not familiar with the Feelies, they are a New Jersey band started in the late 70s/early '80s, and sound sort of like a cross between the Talking Heads and the Velvet Underground. Made up of guitarists Bill Million and Glenn Mercer, Brenda Sauter on bass, and Stan Demeski and Dave Weckerman on percussion, the Feelies dueling guitarists and percussionists made for a frenetic jangle pop sound with an underlying, almost mathematical, precision. They were a tight band. They would become a big influence on REM, but not a major commercial success themselves. The Feelies broke up

I'm so jealous Vincent! My wife pointed out the article in the NYTimes about the reunion show. She asked if it brought back good memories because we saw them a couple times in the 80s, and I told her you were going to be there. We both hope they will play some more shows and get out this way. There is some rumor of recording new songs also, which would be cool.

For my part, on the 5th of July I was in Santa Barbara for a wedding while my wife's cousin watched our kids. When we went to pick them up, they were all at a neighbor's house for a little backyard party. We went in and had a beer while a collection of party-goers sat around playing guitars, hand drums, and singing. The cousin, who is younger than we are, said a couple of the people playing, including the home owner, were professional musicians. She said "have you ever heard of Toad the Wet Sprocket?" Turns out we were at Glen Phillips' house and he was the one playing guitar with his back facing us at that moment. My wife and I were big fans of Toad, have all their records, saw them live years ago, and have several of Glen's solo records. It was cool hanging out while they played Gram Parsons, Beatles, and other tunes.

Didn't manage to meet him because they never stopped playing but had a good time and probably avoided that awkward "I'm a big fan dufus" conversation anyway.

She said "have you ever heard of Toad the Wet Sprocket?"

Heh, reminds me of a funny story of the first time I saw Dave Matthews, he was opening for Toad in a gymnasium in central NH. Couldn't have been more than seven or eight hundred people there.

In other random concert news I finally found all my Phish memorabilia this past weekend while cleaning out my storage closet down stairs. What a collection of crap that is! I'll have to post a few pictures once Lily starts giving me enough time to pick up a camera again. :)

Heh, reminds me of a funny story of the first time I saw Dave Matthews, he was opening for Toad in a gymnasium in central NH. Couldn't have been more than seven or eight hundred people there.

In other random concert news I finally found all my Phish memorabilia this past weekend while cleaning out my storage closet down stairs. What a collection of crap that is! I'll have to post a few pictures once Lily starts giving me enough time to pick up a camera again. :)

I remember you posted that one pic of your b-day cake:

Nate.jpg

Didn't manage to meet him because they never stopped playing but had a good time and probably avoided that awkward "I'm a big fan dufus" conversation anyway.

Here's a snap of the Feelies concert. Low quality iPhone:

IMG_0081.jpg

Al, first of all, cool story. Second, your big dufus comment reminds me of when I saw Lou Reed in a David's Cookies on the Upper West Side. I was in high school and so psyched. So I decided to go up to him:

Me: "Uh, Mr. Reed?"

Lou, in the deep voice you'd expect: "Yeah?"

Me: "Um, you're great, man."

Lou: "Thanks."

"You're great, man"? I don't say hi to celebrities anymore. Well except for when I invited Derek Jeter to play softball, but that's another story...

You know I hate the band, right? I worked with them on and off for 5 years and collected a sizable amount of junk, but was never a fan.

Time to kick off Lily's college fund with some eBaying of Clifford Ball / Great Went / Lemonwheel backstage passes and t-shirts?

Time to kick off Lily's college fund with some eBaying of Clifford Ball / Great Went / Lemonwheel backstage passes and t-shirts?

Not going to ebay any of it for a while, but it was good to find it all. I must have 40 to 50 T-shirts from the production days, none of which you could ever buy. :cool:

pivot for the circle jerk

nate throws the shirt he'd set aside for dan into the fire...

what kind of work did you do with them? Groupie-control?
I ran the site build team for their large, end of the year festivals. That generally entailed running a group of 20 or so guys doing misc. construction projects on the site. Then during the show, I'd run campground security which was entirely too much responsibility, all of which I was blissfully ignorant of.