The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

I fucked up the above post, the year is 2008 and I forgot to erase the duplicate text below the pictures.

Ministry "C U Latour"

(with Meshuggah and Hemlock)

4-19-2008

New Orleans, LA

House Of Blues

Hemlock sucked, Meshuggah was absolutely amazing. Their timing was absolutely perfect. I loved the crowd, because you had your meatheads with your tall nerdy math rock guys and your goth chicks. I didn't know Meshuggah had two bassists, it really added body to the sound. I stood next to the guy at the light board, and he had to have the same perfect rhythm as the band. Incredible. That drummer has to be the most talented metal drummer I've ever seen.

In a word, Ministry was relentless. Insane lighting, and insane projected imagery behind the stage. Al's antler crucifix mic stand with a vagina on the microphone was badass. He came out like a true god of industrial music, with his top hat and sunglasses and black and chains. No setlist, but the opener was "Lets Go" which was fucking awesome. Every song before the encore was off the last three albums, which was kickass because the last three albums are intense. Al hates George W. Bush. They really turned it out in the encore, with some guy from Fear Factory on vocals: So What > Thieves > NWO > Just One Fix. Then they came out with a second encore, two covers from the Doors and Stones, respectively: Roadhouse Blues, Under My Thumb. Strangely a bunch of black and white Ministry balloons fell on the crowd during "Thumb". It was fun as all hell.

New Orleans is super sketchy now, much different then pre-Katrina. When we were trying to get on the interstate, a suburban with tinted windows came peeling around us at about 80mph, swerved in and out of the lanes, then stopped in the middle of the two lanes in front of us. I thought for one second we were about to get murdered. But we didn't! :prettyprincess:

Saw Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks last night. It was quite an experience seeing him 5 feet away from me after watching the Pavement DVD countless times. And Janet Weiss is awesome. Will be seeing them again at Lollapalooza.. maybe he'll play a few Pavement tracks.

!!!

Moar details, please.

The first thing that hit me during the concert was how important the bass player are to Einstuerzende Neubautens music. In many ways he keeps it all toghether (not unlike John Entwistle did to the Who). I have never thought of that when I have listen to their records, but I like good bass players and this might be one of the reasons I like them so much.

They played 2 sets roughly equal to a cd (a double cd-r of the show was available after the concert) + 2 encore "sets", the first quite long, but they sure took their time to get back on stage.

They naturally played a lot of stuff from their last album, Alles Wieder Offen, which I haven't heard yet. But they also played a few song from previous albums. Among other a quiet and beautiful version of "Ich Gehe Jetz" (1st encore), "Dead Friends" and "Die Befindlichkeit Des Landes". Of course there was a lot of various steel instruments as can be expected from a band exploring the borders between noise and music. Out of context a lot of the "instruments" would have made noise, but in my opinion they are definatly in the land of music.

It might be a habbit, but Blixa and the bass player was barefoot.

100_0094.jpg

The Flaming Lips.

Giant confetti blasts, fog cannons, megaphones shooting fire, pink ninjas on the left, iron men on the right, giant santa claus and purple monster thing, gongs, insane video screen, nude chicks on stage during The Song Remains The Same, chanting, 90% of the crowd singing along while knowing every word, the greatest rendition of Taps in history, lights everywhere, space bubble, one lucky kid having hundreds of people singing happy birthday to him, a rousing encore of one of the best songs ever, and a surprisingly good view at Penn's Landing by the river.

Yeah, it was pretty good. ;D