How big is your music collection?

faust3d

How big is your music collection?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How big is your music collection?

Whats with all this vinyl talk everywhere I turn....my curiosity just cannot take it.:(

I am way over my vinyl excitement of many years ago. :rolleyes: It was just way too much work for me. Plus vinyl has a lot of annoying issues like hiss, cleaning, side flipping and groove echo and these things take up space. I get LPs now only if they are dirt cheap or not available on CDs. :D

Don't get me wrong, good LPs on nice rig will sound superb and it is still a lot of fun to spin vinyl, but I would not want it to be my main media. The only things that require more work are R2R tapes :cool:

I can see why so many people are moving a way from physical media to digital only, still for me CDs/SACDs seem to be perfect in terms of sound, size and convenience.

About:

450 CDs

225 LPS

25 vinyl singles

20 10" RTR tapes

10 cassette tapes

10 DVD-Audio

zero SACD

1 Laserdisc

75+ Minidisc

Plus perhaps 150-200 albums I have illegally downloaded but haven't yet deleted or bought the CD of. Of which Id guess half are rare, expensive or weren't released on CD. As well as maybe 3000 podcasts (919 as yet unlistened to).

I should work out what proportion of all that is Mike Oldfield. It's 117 albums on my itunes and perhaps 1/5 of the vinyl.

Edited by Duggeh

I've got 2 copies of the quad mix on vinyl. One is in the "Boxed" set.
Yeah, except IIRC, the boxed set one is bandwidth limited (by the nature of the matrix encoding). But you're alright if you have the recent box set, because I think there's a surround mix on there, isn't there? Just not the original one. Edited by Dusty Chalk

600-1000 for me in CDs (and uh, one or two more in "lossless files" living on magnetic storage media in a RAID 1 mirror), another 3000 in my father's collection which I get to rape frequently, and he as another 2k or so of those big black flexible discs everyone's talking about these days which causes me great distress.

~3500 audio optical disks (mostly CD, maybe 40-50 SACD & DVDA)

~ 800 LP's/vinyl (used to have about 3K, sold a bunch when we moved into our new house)

I always remembered & liked a guy that used to work in the same company as me a few years back. Looked a lot like Jerry Garcia, had some nice gear (VPI TT, Audio Research and Pass electronics, Martin Logan CLS's - once two pairs doubled up IIRC).

He had - and this is back in late 90's - about 11-12K pieces of vinyl, and zero digital. His online personas, for email, Usenet, etc., was always MrVinyl (@ whatever service he was using at the time). I wonder if he ever made the move to digital....

And then there's the time I caled a phone number for a new magazine coming out, and spoke to Myles Astor (sp?). He said he had somewhere around 16K albums "...those are the Jazz ones...." :eek:

Wish I had lots of space, money, and time......

~3500 audio optical disks (mostly CD, maybe 40-50 SACD & DVDA)

~ 800 LP's/vinyl (used to have about 3K, sold a bunch when we moved into our new house)

I always remembered & liked a guy that used to work in the same company as me a few years back. Looked a lot like Jerry Garcia, had some nice gear (VPI TT, Audio Research and Pass electronics, Martin Logan CLS's - once two pairs doubled up IIRC).

He had - and this is back in late 90's - about 11-12K pieces of vinyl, and zero digital. His online personas, for email, Usenet, etc., was always MrVinyl (@ whatever service he was using at the time). I wonder if he ever made the move to digital....

And then there's the time I caled a phone number for a new magazine coming out, and spoke to Myles Astor (sp?). He said he had somewhere around 16K albums "...those are the Jazz ones...." :eek:

Wish I had lots of space, money, and time......

There is an odd documentary about this obsession. The host is pathetic to the point of being entertaining (apologies to those with strong similarities).

Vinyl (2000) - Alan Zweig investigates the wacky world of record collecting | Free Lifestyle Videos - Watch Lifestyle Videos Online | Veoh

There is an odd documentary about this obsession. The host is pathetic to the point of being entertaining (apologies to those with strong similarities).

Vinyl (2000) - Alan Zweig investigates the wacky world of record collecting | Free Lifestyle Videos - Watch Lifestyle Videos Online | Veoh

I think Todd has something like 30,000 albums in his personal (i.e., not for sale) collection. But maybe it's only 15,000. How can you even begin to guess when you see this 10' high wall running 30' across, and then there's more on the other side of the room, and in the adjoining room around the corner. It sure looks like a lot!

Maybe if Jeff has seen Todd's listening room, he'll be able to make a realistic guess since he's got such a massive collection himself.