New Weiss DAC202 w/headphone amp

Voltron

I wonder if it even bothers with a separate amp for the headphones or just uses the output stage for the XLRs. Daniel Weiss loves low output impedance and high voltage swing for his output stages. Apparently you can drive speakers with the output on the DAC1.

Not sure how to interpret "coarse settings" or the rest of this:

"Level control main output:

* 4 coarse settings via relays (analog domain), fine setting via rotary encoder (digital domain).

* Level control can be defeated for the main output.

Level control headphone output:

* 4 coarse settings via relays (analog domain, independent from the settings in the main output), fine setting via rotary encoder (digital domain)."

Not sure how to interpret "coarse settings" or the rest of this:

"Level control main output:

* 4 coarse settings via relays (analog domain), fine setting via rotary encoder (digital domain).

* Level control can be defeated for the main output.

Level control headphone output:

* 4 coarse settings via relays (analog domain, independent from the settings in the main output), fine setting via rotary encoder (digital domain)."

Essentially inserting or removing resistors from the signal path (somewhere) to give volume drop. Much like selecting gains in effect.

He funny^^

Computer Audiophile thinks the key feature is transparency checker, which doesn't seem to be worth $4K over the DAC2:

"Perhaps the most critical feature of this new DAC is the Transparency check (allows to check the bit transparency of a playback chain). Until now it was nearly impossible for most listeners to guarantee they were getting bit perfect playback. This DAC looks to have a built-in mechanism to check for this. I know Daniel talked about doing this last year and I'm elated to see he has implemented it in this product."

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I am using this DAC with my HD650. I have just bought the HD650. The sound I get is very transparent, with details galore. The sound stage is not in my face and perhaps should not be. As I have not tried the headphone with any other dedicated headphone amp I am very curious to see how the other amps would fare?

Thanks,Z