Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

The cheap stuff really isn't good enough for high voltage.  You can get away with a cheap meter but a Fluke would be a far better buy.  They last for a long time as well. 

For soldering, I've got two of the cheapest stations Conrad offers (they are also sold here) and they are ok but something like my OKI stations is far, far nicer. 

Is the Fluke 117 good enough to bias KGSSHV and Dynahi/Dynapsu? Found a second hand BNIB for about 150€...

Is there another reliable source for 2SC4686A's? Or perhaps someone willing to sell at least 12? Bdent's stock apparently ran out (doesn't even show up on their searches anymore).

bdent is a mess right now. Search function is only half working (and that may be overrated,) so I wouldn't trust the result.

If you really want to know... get a rep, ask him in person, and hopefully their inventory system is not as screwed up as their website.

The new site design really is a mess at the moment (the customer service tab just goes to 'page not found'). Anyway I sent them an email about the 4686's. I'm not holding my breath though, as it doesn't show on their product listing either.

Makes sense.  I just took another glance at the amb shop, and it looks like he doesn't stock the dynalo or dynahi boards anymore but still has a handful of the requisite transistors.  If nothing else, I imagine that stocking these parts works from a business perspective because it facilitates marketing the σ22 as a psu upgrade.  

Anybody else having issues with Mouser shipping these days? They used to be great, but for the last 3 to 4 months, nothing ships when it is supposed to, instead waiting until the next day to ship things out. They used to "upgrade" me to 2 day shipping when they did this, but since ground takes 2 days to me anyway, that was useless. They don't even bother with that anymore. I called and was told that they are short staffed, but this has been going on a long time and seems to happen every time.

the exact same thing just happened to me, Doug. It is weird because they used to be great about getting an order out on the same day if I got it in before the middle of the afternoon. This time it took at least 2 days and then like you said they upgraded me to 2 day shipping. It's still man that my stuff got there 2 days later than it should have.

same here. When I placed a $600 order last month, they only shipped it out on the third day. I thought it might be because the order contained too many items, but last week when I placed an order with only 15 items, it still took them as long... I also ordered some parts from digikey on the same day last week and I got the package on Monday, while Mouser's shipment just arrived yesterday (Thur.) Not sure what's going on.

It took them 4 times to ship me the correct resistor value on an order a couple of months ago. They must have had the wrong values in their location. I had ordered 2.2K RN55s. They sent me 3.1xK the first 2 times. I changed to a 2.21K, they shipped me something else. Finally got it right, but yeah, they seem to be having some problems. I don't think before this that they had ever made a mistake on any of my orders. The other 20 some line items were correct on the latest order.

same here. When I placed a $600 order last month, they only shipped it out on the third day.

That's really bad. Used to be that once you hit ~$200 they'd not only get it out that day, but upgrade it to overnight shipping. At least they upgraded their website recently :mikey2:

I haven't had a mouser order pull and ship in the same day since the end of last year. My last two orders had a one day and two day pull/ship delay respectively. Granted, these were small orders, but still surprising they took that long to process.

I did use the flat rate shipping option as I was not in a big hurry. Think that might have pushed it back in the queue?

I just found a local source in Sweden (a retired Ericson-employee) that had a lot of silicon gold. He only allowed me to purchase 50 pieces of each. I got some of them reserved for me and Chris (shipsupt) but I'll try to help those in need.

Selling for what I purchased them for:

2SC3381-GR   4 USD/piece
2SA1349-GR   4 USD/piece
2SA1145          2 USD/piece
2SA2705          2 USD/piece

Add 4,4 USD for S&H (add an extra 13,2 USD for tracking)

Very limited supply, so I'll only be selling to those in "need". Qty for 1 to (max) 2 amps/user. Don't abuse it, since it'll take a lot of time for PMs and packing etc. It's more about contributing to this community.

Kind regards,

V

• 3 weeks later...

Mouser seems to be all over the map lately. Placed an order on Saturday and received it on Tuesday. Before that there would usually be a 2-4 day lag between when the order was placed and when it would ship. The one difference with my Saturday order was that I called on Monday to cancel some backordered items that were reordered with my newer order - maybe speaking to a person caused things to happen faster, not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken on a tube project, a box of parts, a populated board and a case.  The 9-pin sockets, as well as the EL34 sockets are soldered directly to the board.  Problem is, the EL84 sockets are about 9mm taller.  I've been dreaming up ways of accommodating the extra height for the larger sockets (a stepped top on the case seemed the easiest to implement). 

But, are there any socket extenders or parts which I could use to get these closer in height without having to resort to case mods?   I have run across some of the old-style socket savers, but they appear too tall.  What if the EL84 sockets were attached directly to the top and the smaller tubes had some sort of, dunno, metal tube in between.  

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Edited by bhjazz