The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Considering the crap they are selling today it's a small wonder that they stopped making the ET1000. :( What you are hearing is a slightly altered version of the original ET1k due to the higher bias of the Stax normal bias socket. Are they still fitted with the stock earpads (flat as hell) or has anyone of the new owners fitted them with something better?

Considering the crap they are selling today it's a small wonder that they stopped making the ET1000. :( What you are hearing is a slightly altered version of the original ET1k due to the higher bias of the Stax normal bias socket. Are they still fitted with the stock earpads (flat as hell) or has anyone of the new owners fitted them with something better?

Indeedy. The 880s I had years ago were harsh to the point of pain. On the pads, I sent Dan a set of SR-X pads for them, then I swapped the phones with my Lambda so the pads came back too :D The SR-X pads are a good fit and while the phones are not exactly comfortable, they work very well with only a small channel imbalance. Good as the ET's are they're still no match for the T50 which is awesomely great. I can't complain, they're a very nice set of phones and I'm collecting quite a varied array of planars now. I need to get a new headband cover from Beyer at some point to replace this tatty one and a new Stax cable.

By T50 I presume you mean the older Foxtex T50, and if that's the case, how does one go about acquiring one? I don't have a goat, but there's space for a shrine and certainly time enough for a ritual. Maybe I can use my neighbor's dog?

Edit: More importantly, why isn't wualta on this forum? I don't know much about the guy specifically, but from what I've read of his posts, he sounds like someone we really should rescue from the clutches of head-fi.

Not yet, but my v2 hardly sounds like any v2 you'd have heard. They went from sorta semi-decent with odd sonic quirks to *holy crap on a stick* awesomeness!!

:prettyprincess::prettyprincess::dance:

That's how I would describe the v1. It's like a mini SR-007 with the B22 driving it... :)

By T50 I presume you mean the older Foxtex T50, and if that's the case, how does one go about acquiring one? I don't have a goat, but there's space for a shrine and certainly time enough for a ritual. Maybe I can use my neighbor's dog?

Edit: More importantly, why isn't wualta on this forum? I don't know much about the guy specifically, but from what I've read of his posts, he sounds like someone we really should rescue from the clutches of head-fi.

Some luck and a dead dog could suffice but be prepared to pay a lot for a set. When my set popped up on ebay there wasn't much interest and I got them for around 140$. The were near NOS with the original box so I'm more then happy. They do need a new cable though since the stock unit is crap.

I'll drop him a PM and ask why he isn't joining us...

Quick questions for O2 mk1 owners:

Have you heard the depodded iM716? What are the similarities and differences between the O2mk1 and iM716? The reason I ask is because I found myself enjoying my iM716 more than my W11jpn tonight....

I find myself enjoying the speed and the micro details. My iM716 are depodded @53ohms. I think I'm lucky to have perfect seal because the bass is sufficient to me. Only complain is the bass roll off for really low bass. How does the O2 fare in this dept? Does it have a bass roll off akin to the iM716?

A good example of bass roll off with the iM716 happens in Rob Zombies's Brickhouse2003 at the 1:02 and 1:39 mark. Also happens on Jesse Cook's On Walks the Night at 1:14.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply, guys. Much appreciated. :)

Quick questions for O2 mk1 owners:

Have you heard the depodded iM716? What are the similarities and differences between the O2mk1 and iM716?

I happen to have these two headphones and I don't really hear any similarities other than the fact that they make music. ;)

Seriously, they're pretty much opposites. The overall sound of the iM716 is thin, even when amped, while it would be impossible to describe the O2 as thin. The O2 bass extends very deep, while the iM716 does not. The O2 has a good soundstage, the iM716 does not. I could continue like that, but it's really an apples and oranges comparison. The iM716 are great because they provide isolation and a decent SQ at a good price, but other than that they don't rival with the big boys.

Wow, thanks for the info. That's really helpful. My next follow up post was gonna describe the iM716 as somewhat thin sounding at times. I was gonna ask if the O2 had mode body and weight to it and if the bass has more impact. I guess you've already answered my questions there. Thank you soo much. Those things are the main things that were bugging me.

Have you heard the L3000?

That is what the SR-007 MK1 sounds like, but more resolving and more linear midrange. I think I went into more detail in this thread: http://www.head-case.org/forums/headphones/3673-another-stax-omega-2-setup.html

That's how I would describe the v1. It's like a mini SR-007 with the B22 driving it... :)

And you are a very evil person for flaunting your uber rare headphones :rant:

Edited by deepak

Have you heard the L3000?

That is what the SR-007 MK1 sounds like, but more resolving and more linear midrange. I think I went into more detail in this thread: http://www.head-case.org/forums/headphones/3673-another-stax-omega-2-setup.html

I would agree that the SR-007Mk1 is somewhat similar to the L3000 with better overall details, imaging precision and notes separation.

Both have smallish soundstages.

The L3000's bass is better, though. It has better texture and details than the SR-007Mk1, or other electrostats. I don't think any of my electrostats can match the L3000 in bass quality.

Well that's it. Surely there's more to life than recommending <$50 portable cans / teh best amp evar. Headcase here I come.

Birgir, having now bought Lambdas from Faust2d (3d?) that he no longer needed after buying your gear, and an SRM-t1 that goosepond didn't need after buying your Srm-T1s, I'm starting to feel like your high school son who inherits all your old stuff after you're done with it. Except I have to buy it from other people.

That last bit kind of ruins the whole metaphor.

• Haha 1

Srsly, the T50 is ferking amazing.

It is. And you don't have to say "ferking" over here. At least that's what they ferkin' tell me.

And let the record show that I was a member here long before Spritzer poked me in the PM. He's clean. At least in that respect.

And speaking of Reykjavik: Anyone see the NOVA program called *The Car of the Future* with the Magliozzi brothers clowning it up around plug-in electrics, hybrids, and, last but not least, the hydrogen-powered buses in jolly olde Iceland? Nice shots of Reykjavik.

NOVA | Car of the Future | TV Program Description | PBS

And where are my italics? I can't live without my italics! I think I must be part Italian..

Srsly u gyz, if I can't have italics here on HC, it'd be like... like eating Little Caesar's pizza after a strict diet of Donato's. Or Sedaris after Salinger.