The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Conspire was probably the wrong word, more like a meeting place where you can discuss your attacks. I wonder when I post about the Pico Dac over there whether there will be anyone complaining that I am doing the same as jamato8.:palm:

I think conspire is the right word. Discussing our attacks and coordinating them is conspiring. I posted here that I thought the thread was way over the line and that I reported it. That was it. I think that it had a lot more to do with the fact that it was RSA and the problems about that between Jude and HC.

I don't think anybody will complain. Let's see, you'll actually have the prototype. You'll talk about the prototype and how it sounds, looks, etc. What you won't do is make what amounts to a product announcement with specs, price, availability, etc. John did the latter. Of course, maybe you should. Justin could use the free advertising too. :rolleyes:

Conspire was probably the wrong word, more like a meeting place where you can discuss your attacks. I wonder when I post about the Pico Dac over there whether there will be anyone complaining that I am doing the same as jamato8.:palm:

It'd only be the same if he had the prototype in hand, and if you post an hour by hour review for the next 18 months.

I do remember a meet-impressions thread where the 1.2b, 1.3b, and a whole bunch of other stats were compared back to back. Most people preferred the 1.2b over the O2 (there were both Mk1 and Mk2 versions), though reading between the lines, it looks like the O2 was driven by a 007t or ES1 in most cases and wasn't in a good rig.

Is the 007t not a good amp for the OII/MKII? I was remotely entertaining the thought of buying one.

I think conspire is the right word. Discussing our attacks and coordinating them is conspiring. I posted here that I thought the thread was way over the line and that I reported it. That was it. I think that it had a lot more to do with the fact that it was RSA and the problems about that between Jude and HC.

I don't think anybody will complain. Let's see, you'll actually have the prototype. You'll talk about the prototype and how it sounds, looks, etc. What you won't do is make what amounts to a product announcement with specs, price, availability, etc. John did the latter. Of course, maybe you should. Justin could use the free advertising too. :rolleyes:

Please Ken, you guys sit here and bash jamato and RSA regularly just like you bash Germania and whoever is next on the collective shit list. You shouldn't be shocked that others may see it differently than you do.

Is the 007t not a good amp for the OII/MKII? I was remotely entertaining the thought of buying one.

It's not powerful enough to control the bass and really wake the phones up. It's a good amp for Lambdas and other phones that are easier to drive, but the O2 is very difficult to drive and needs a lot more power to sound dynamic and for the bass to be tightly controlled. If you're looking to spend 007t-level money, get the 717. It's not going to do a perfect job either, but it's probably the only amp I'd use with the 007 that's under $1k. It has a warmer tonality than many solid-state amps and in general sounds pretty fluid, so you won't be missing the tube sound - as long as your source is up to par.

The alternative would be a transformer box, and if you have a top-notch speaker amp, I'd go that route, but otherwise, I'd take the 717. Now that my source doesn't suck (as much) I definitely prefer the 717 over the transformer box. It's more detailed, more dynamic, has better control over the bass, and is in general more transparent.

I had a very detailed comparison some pages back in this thread.

If we can put in requests for bans on Head-Fi, I would like to be banned. Seriously. I don't post there anyway and will never post there again.

It's not powerful enough to control the bass and really wake the phones up. It's a good amp for Lambdas and other phones that are easier to drive, but the O2 is very difficult to drive and needs a lot more power to sound dynamic and for the bass to be tightly controlled. If you're looking to spend 007t-level money, get the 717. It's not going to do a perfect job either, but it's probably the only amp I'd use with the 007 that's under $1k. It has a warmer tonality than many solid-state amps and in general sounds pretty fluid, so you won't be missing the tube sound - as long as your source is up to par.

That is definitely some good-to-know info. I might have gone through with my 007t plan and would've regretted it.

Too subtle I think.

Up to you. How many of us "guys" are you going to ban? Just me? That would be professional. :rolleyes: Of course, you can just be like another moderator and come punch me out.

You were the one to suggest I ban people. I never said anything about banning anyone. You know what, there were times when I might have enjoyed punching out a few people over here (not that I could but I did think about it) but you were never one of them and those times are long in the past.

I for one am hoping that they actually do a good job and make something that sounds right, if only to motivate Stax to get their act together. Being better than the O2 Mk1 is a long shot but better than the Mk2 isn't that hard.

I do remember a meet-impressions thread where the 1.2b, 1.3b, and a whole bunch of other stats were compared back to back. Most people preferred the 1.2b over the O2 (there were both Mk1 and Mk2 versions), though reading between the lines, it looks like the O2 was driven by a 007t or ES1 in most cases and wasn't in a good rig.

I'd like to hear one, but I'm not shelling out money for it. Next meet, maybe, if I ever get my ass out to one.

I really want them to succeed and bring those that like the Senn sound an alternative. I do have some reservations about the design such lack of air damping inside the stators, earpad shape and chassis design but these are the same reservations I have with the Senn HE's. Mr. HE does have the chops to pull off a good design (the various prototypes are the proof of that) so lets just hope he doesn't stop here and then drops that Head-direct idiot.

I'd go with the 717 instead. The 007t is far to weak and soft sounding to do the SR-007 justice.

Yeah, that "we're the best" bit turned me off. Seems like that sort of thing should belong in a paid-for thread where everybody knows it's advertising, but hey, that's head-fi for you.

i posted on the heaudio thread on hf asking headdirect is the statement "we are the best"

is this his own personal statement. headdirect did replied me saying this is their own statement not mr he. but both posts got deleted in the thread :( i had read lots of stuffs written by mr he, always appear to be a very modest and reserved man to me.

I really want them to succeed and bring those that like the Senn sound an alternative. I do have some reservations about the design such lack of air damping inside the stators, earpad shape and chassis design but these are the same reservations I have with the Senn HE's. Mr. HE does have the chops to pull off a good design (the various prototypes are the proof of that) so lets just hope he doesn't stop here and then drops that Head-direct idiot.

invite him to this forum and gave him more constructive feedback? i for one know he never will ceased self improving his headphone

i posted on the heaudio thread on hf asking headdirect is the statement "we are the best"

is this his own personal statement. headdirect did replied me saying this is their own statement not mr he. but both posts got deleted in the thread :( i had read lots of stuffs written by mr he, always appear to be a very modest and reserved man to me.

Good thing that it was removed since that wasn't a platform for bashing Stax, Koss or Senn.

invite him to this forum and gave him more constructive feedback? i for one know he never will ceased self improving his headphone

I'd certainly welcome him here to discuss the design and any future development of cans and/or amps.

Btw. Are then any news on the Little Dot ESP amp?