The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

are new 007 mk1 pads still available?

The shop in Japan that does the Airbow modifications sells pads for the SR-007 for JPY 5250, as well as for other headphones. I don't know if those are the official Stax pads.

I bought pads for the SR-Omega from them, and they are very good quality and dark brown color.

Link:

http://www.ippinkan.com/stax/stax_repair.htm

Thanks for the comforting words. As for the old pads, I had idle dreams of some SFI ortho project employing them. You suspect that the Mk.1 Black ones might be different from the brown ones?

I just don't know if they are any different since I've never had a set here. I could perhaps persuade you to buy a set or two from the UK distributor on my behalf...? :)

are new 007 mk1 pads still available?

Last I knew they were but in usual Stax fashion they will probably be phased out in favor of Mk2 pads, hence the reason for me stocking up. I've use the stock Michael mentioned a few times but you do need a deputy service so I always bought 20-40 sets at a time. :o You could also speak to Craig at KuboTen as he might be able to get them cheaper then AC2.

Sure, it may have serviceable Mk1 pads now, but they won't last forever.

Personally I'm stocking up on Mk1 pads next week. They shouldn't degrade if they're properly sealed and stored, and I plan to keep the O2 until something better comes along (or I'm forced to sell it for other reasons), so it's time to start thinking long-term.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know how much they are.

Thanks, much appreciated. :)

Sure, it may have serviceable Mk1 pads now, but they won't last forever.

The leather will last a long time with some care but the foam is toast after a few years. The Mk2 foam does fit but paying 100+$ for leather pads and only use the foam is very stupid... even for me. I have done it though with SR-Ω earpads as the new black pads are uncomfortable and look horrible. Some good vinyl care products will do wonders to the old SR-Ω pads...

Couldn't an old pad be stuffed with something that has greater longevity? Cotton wool for example? Or the measurements of a fresh foam insert taken so that people could just carve their own out of those big sheets of sofa foam every time the pads need topped up?

I've been looking at the AC2 website. Other than possibly color, what would be the difference between the pads for a Lambda Pro and a 202, 303, or 404? The Lambda Pro pads are more expensive.

Also, I'd like new pads for my Signatures, buy AC2 does not appear to have brown pads. Any suggestions where to find brown pads for the Lambda Sig (other than Yama)?

Couldn't an old pad be stuffed with something that has greater longevity? Cotton wool for example? Or the measurements of a fresh foam insert taken so that people could just carve their own out of those big sheets of sofa foam every time the pads need topped up?

The foam is in two layers so it can most definitely be diy'ed. I'll open up a set of Mk1 pads later and post some pics if only to silence out baby elephant... ;)

I've been looking at the AC2 website. Other than possibly color, what would be the difference between the pads for a Lambda Pro and a 202, 303, or 404? The Lambda Pro pads are more expensive.

The SR-202 pads ar eblack and the replacement for the L-Pro's. It even says so on the pads. The 303 pads are this gray/green color and use the same material as the 404 pads which is a bit nicer to wear.

Also, I'd like new pads for my Signatures, buy AC2 does not appear to have brown pads. Any suggestions where to find brown pads for the Lambda Sig (other than Yama)?

The 404 pads are indeed brown but not like the stock pads. They are long sold out in Japan but Yama's might have some.

Just spotted your pads comment Spritzer. I'll be happy to buy some pads from Symmetry for you if you need me to.

That would be great if Deepak comes up empty

Any suggestions where to find brown pads for the Lambda Sig (other than Yama)?

I just bought a pair of Lambda pads off eBay. They have black and brown ones to choose from. $60.

I think you should just buy a Mk2. They'll come with the real leather Mk2 pads in nice black real leather, and they feel like good quality real leather too.

Not like those icky Mk1 puke-brown not-leather/crappy leather pads.

My question to AC2:

1) I would like to purchase a pair of replacement pads for my vintage Stax

Lambda Signature headphones. They are brown. I had assumed that the Stax

Replacement Pads for SR-404 would work as replacements, but the description

says they are "grey" in color. Is this correct? Please let me know if you

carry a brown replacement pad for the Lambda Signatures.

2) How do the replacement pads for the SR-202 differ from the replacement

pads for the SR Lambda Pro? I notice that there is a difference in price.

Thanks!

Their helpful reply:

The color is as indicated in our website. Meanwhile, I am not sure if

there's any difference in the material but that's how the pricing difference

is determined by Stax.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions or comments, please let

us know. Thank you.