The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Sure. I'm glad I've got a couple of friends with the gear and know how. From time to time I "cheat" them to measure some phones. I've been trying to get the one having the better system to measure the PS-1, R10, L3000, MD5000 and CD3000, but he's very busy so we can't find the right moment. However none of them has critical sealing demands, so they're not as difficult to measure as the O2 would be. Anyway, I own none of both, so no worries :cool:

Most headphones are indeed easy to measure but electrostatics are special. The amps are far from sufficient and the fit makes or breaks the sound... now you know why I call normal dynamics boring. :D

SR-X MKIII impressions update

A crushing disappointment from the SR-X after some extended listening - it's really uncomfortable. The supra-aural design just kills my ears, I can't wear them longer than an hour before having to take them off. Oh well, it's a good thing I always have a backup plan. They do sound really nice though despite the discomfort, if only they were circumaural...

Ask Smeggy to whip up for you a SR-007 earpad adapter and find a Gamma headband. That makes them far more comfortable.

The O2Mk1 earpads don't look or feel like leather to me!

Whatever they are, they're not as good as the Mk2's definitely leather earpads.

So there, Mk1 preferrers!

Leather can be made to what ever finish the customer wants and cheap leather is often this soft and lacking in texture. Those that have seen Nissan leather car seats know what I'm talking about. It's easy to check though, just pull off the pads and look at the underside.

The Mk2's leather is better where there is actually leather but the rest is pleather. I do think the Mk2 pads are more comfortable but that is partially due to the stiffer foam inside. I've opened up all of the Omega pads so stop arguing with me until you've done the same... :P

Has anyone hereother than Spritzer (i.e., someone with lower DIY skills) replaced the cable to a 007 mk1? If so, how hard or easy was it?

I'd say pretty hard. Depending on where you get the replacement cable, it will have either foil leads or some sort of stranded wire. The foil leads are damn near impossible to work with. This is the older style cable. Plus is, that they come off the driver very easy. I'd liken this process to doing SMD soldering in its intricacy.

Bonus points to Elephas for getting Spritzer to admit the HD600 ain't horrible... A dynamic! GASP! :o

The HD600 is balanced and nice sounding but it doesn't do anything well except perhaps comfort.

I'd say pretty hard. Depending on where you get the replacement cable, it will have either foil leads or some sort of stranded wire. The foil leads are damn near impossible to work with. This is the older style cable. Plus is, that they come off the driver very easy. I'd liken this process to doing SMD soldering in its intricacy.

Ditto. It's definitely not easy to do thought the stranded wires of the later versions (and also used on the SR-Omega) are easier to work with.

The Mk2's leather is better where there is actually leather but the rest is pleather.

A-ha! Gotcha! So the Mk2's leather is better, no matter what the Mk1's is.

I don't mind the pleather part, where they wrap into the housing. Most of that part is not visible anyway, and the entire pleather section is never going to contact skin.

I do think the Mk2 pads are more comfortable but that is partially due to the stiffer foam inside.

A-ha! Gotcha No. 2! So the Mk2 pads are more comfortable.

Yes, I agree the stiffer foam inside is better. I think Stax got the Mk2 pad right in terms of density, size, and overall stiffness. In comparison, the Mk1 pad seems too soft and compressible.

I've opened up all of the Omega pads so stop arguing with me until you've done the same... :P

Hey, I've uninstalled and then installed the Mk2 pads! Both of them! True, it took me more than half an hour to get them back on again. That metal ring is a pain.

I only wanted to see how difficult it was and what was under the pads. I don't know why I took them both off, one would've done the job.

I still think the Mk1 pads are not real leather. They don't look or feel like real leather.

If they are real leather, it is some crappy type of leather.

Yes, I agree the stiffer foam inside is better. I think Stax got the Mk2 pad right in terms of density, size, and overall stiffness. In comparison, the Mk1 pad seems too soft and compressible.

The only problem I have with the mk2 pads is the pleather surround as it is too big but otherwise the pads are very comfy. Now you are making me want to buy a set of Mk2/A's again to mod... :P

Hey, I've uninstalled and then installed the Mk2 pads! Both of them! True, it took me more than half an hour to get them back on again. That metal ring is a pain.

Imagine installing the pads after bending the metal spring so that is it sits flat to the drivers... :indra:

I still think the Mk1 pads are not real leather. They don't look or feel like real leather.

If they are real leather, it is some crappy type of leather.

I never said it was good quality leather but leather it is. ;) Look at the grain pattern if you do not want to rip them off your set as artificilal leather can never mimic the irregular grain of real leather.

PS. They do smell like leather but only very slightly. Me thinks our baby elephant needs to buy a spare set or two to be sure...

our baby elephant

La, la, la, happy happy, la de la, happy happy, la la...

Any notable sonic difference putting a set of Mk.2 pads on the Mk.1? If the Mk.2 pads are a bit firmer I'd go with them when I replace my pads in a couple of months. They'll be three years old then.

Gah, three year old pads! The horror.

I could try putting the Mk2 pads on the Mk1, but that would entail removing the Mk2 pads, removing the Mk1 pads, installing the Mk2 pads on the Mk1, listening, listening, listening, removing the Mk2 pads from the Mk1, installing the Mk2 pads back on the Mk2, installing the Mk1 pads back on the Mk1.

Eh, I'm going to take a nap.

I think I'm going to buy an MK1. :palm:

You Mk1 preferrer, you. Go ahead. And use those yucky ?leather? Mk1 pads. Have those things touching the sides of your head. Touching your skin.

I hope the lions get you.

Any notable sonic difference putting a set of Mk.2 pads on the Mk.1? If the Mk.2 pads are a bit firmer I'd go with them when I replace my pads in a couple of months. They'll be three years old then.

If there was any difference then it was very small so I'd say go for it.

Btw. If you do change them I'd love to buy your old pads from you as they are the only Omega pads I haven't ripped apart and Stax Japan won't sell me a set... :(

I think I'm going to buy an MK1. :palm:

Congrats... ;D

Elephas will fight for the 007A, even if he's the last one standing.

That's why he's our favorite elephant. :P I do think that he may change his mind once a certain package arrives from Headamp... ;)

If there was any difference then it was very small so I'd say go for it.

Btw. If you do change them I'd love to buy your old pads from you as they are the only Omega pads I haven't ripped apart and Stax Japan won't sell me a set... :(

Thanks for the comforting words. As for the old pads, I had idle dreams of some SFI ortho project employing them. You suspect that the Mk.1 Black ones might be different from the brown ones?

Gah, three year old pads! The horror.

I could try putting the Mk2 pads on the Mk1, but that would entail removing the Mk2 pads, removing the Mk1 pads, installing the Mk2 pads on the Mk1, listening, listening, listening, removing the Mk2 pads from the Mk1, installing the Mk2 pads back on the Mk2, installing the Mk1 pads back on the Mk1.

Eh, I'm going to take a nap.

Three years, but the SR-007 isn't a daily use headphone for me. In terms of headtime over the last three years, the headphone that spent the most time actually on my head is probably the AMT. And yeah, experimenting with changing the pads would not be an exercise in ease and convenience.