The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Yeah, they sure can photograph as either a fairly light brown or nearly black. You can also tell from the cable and arc assembly though that they arnt a later version. I think most people tend to just leave the pads as-is, though you can certainly experiment if you desire. Might be a hair more comfy with some very open foam, though that depends on your own ears.

Thanks for the tips, just wanted you guys to know that my "quibble" on the O2s treble is coming from the SRM-T1, which is definately an amp known by many to be insufficient in driving the O2s. I had bought the T1 earlier because I thought I was also aquiring a set of Lambda Sigs at the same time while I wait for the BHSE. I told myself that I would not even bother to plug the O2s into the T1 and use it only with the Lambda Sig, but alas the Lambda Sigs never came. It looks like my curiosity got the best of me and now im paying for it with frustration.:palm:

It just so happens that a pair of Lambda Sigs are coming my way now, so I can safely put the O2s to rest until the BHSE comes...

Although i'll probably pull it back out of its case once I listen to the Lambda Sigs and say "WTF.....what is this unrefined piece of ****":chair:

Yeah, it would be nice to have a relatively small SS amp around.

I think the 404LE + 717 combo is selling for around $1800. That could buy a few good EL34 instead. :D

They have 717, 727 and 007tII demo units. I brought my Jade over to have them install heatshrink over the Y-split, and then plugged it into the 717 briefly to compare with an SR-404. I thought the Jade won quite easily. :cool:

Hi Elephas, pls check your PM

You might find yourself living in the midrange until you can spring for a more suitable amp, but it should be a very nice place to live. Congrats.

Thanks. Hey, I like the midrange, its nice and warm and comfy ;) What should I be looking at for a decent upgrade? I don't really feel like blowing more than $2k for an amp.

As you carefully followed the advice in your welcome PM and read a lot of what's posted, and while researching the O2, surely you read that the initial decent O2 amps are Stax 717 and KGSS. Right? Finding one for sale then becomes the challenge, but both are around your price range.

Thanks. Hey, I like the midrange, its nice and warm and comfy ;) What should I be looking at for a decent upgrade? I don't really feel like blowing more than $2k for an amp.

As you carefully followed the advice in your welcome PM and read a lot of what's posted, and while researching the O2, surely you read that the initial decent O2 amps are Stax 717 and KGSS. Right? .

Wrong ! The KGSS sucks - no real power, resulting in muddy bass.

BIG disappointment.

cheers

Tom