The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

@Tony: Yep, that pretty much mirrors my impressions. Thats why its important to have a few vintages to mix things up with the O2 <_<

The SR-3 (not the "new" model apparently) I have is far from perfect (they have a huge channel imbalance, although it is improving after being plugged in for a few days) and gets trounced by the O2 in every technical aspect but damn they're musical, and so much fun to listen to.

They really are something else, one of my favorite Stax headphones.

Spritzer, did you really just sell your SR-404 LE, which if I recall you once said was "the first Lambda you might actually keep"? :P

Yup, I'm done collecting headphones. I really only need a couple of SR-007's and a SR-003 for testing amps.

Well hey, gentlemen, I'll throw this out there once more before I ask over there: any of you who want a pair of SR-404LE real sheep leather earpads should contact me, as I have two spots left on my mini group buy. These should fit any lambda frame headphone from the SR-Lambda on, and they're the nicest-feeling Lambda pads extant.

They're $65 per pair (plus about $5 US shipping), which I'll front, and I'll send them out to you myself. Get ahold of me if you're interested.

Recently aquired the SR404-LE and SRD-5 modded to pro bias from Birgir. Have been listening for about a week now with the Gamma2 > Dynamite. Thus far all of my expectations have been surpassed in every way. I would expect this to be a typical response of a stat noob with his/her first new stat toy(s).

I am obviously comparing these to all my former dynamics, which is pretty limited. I find much more detail across the entire range. Can be a bit bright or harsh in the HF with some recordings. I do notice some midrange hump that some others talk about, but I don't find it at all offending, and to the contrary rather enjoyable with most selections, especially strings.

No lack of lower end quantity, detail or impact within my setup. Not at all what I was initially expecting. This is the first time I have actually heard, with clarity, the lower portion of my favorite songs.

Conclusion: My feet are wet now, and I like it. Anxiously look forward to listening with a dedicated amp soon(KGSS in the works).

Please tell me they suck!

Just relax and it won't hurt so much bra.

There is something I have noticed with the Omega 2: unlike the Martin Logan Summit speakers I had auditioned, which dissect sound into separated parts although having a flat response, the O2 is very coherent, and the music always sounds like a cohesive whole. This is much more apparent than with the former Stax I have owned (SR-003, SR-X MkIII Pro and Spritzer-modded 404), although those were still more coherent than that Martin Logan-based setup too. I think this aspect of the Omega 2 is their best quality.

There are some shortcomings in my system, though, mostly due to the SRM-717 amp, prolly, if not to the electrostatic principle itself. Percussions don't sound good. They are too softened, attenuated, and lack resolution. Metal doesn't sound "solid". It's not a matter of energy alone, but rather an attenuation related to a frequency range (12-14 kHz). I discovered the audible effects of that range months ago, when evaluating an old, slightly overdamped pair of Yamaha HP-3. Those HP-3 had a slight bump in that zone rendered percussions with a precision that reminded to breaking ice, although they had many tonal shortcomings. The cymbals rendering there was even too attention calling, but on the O2 right now they sound way too confused.

I have new Moray interconnects incoming, since I am using cheap unknown cables at the moment, so those might change things considerably.

Damn posts have to hurry. ;D In fact, the analogue cables I am temporarily using are cheap in their build quality and material, let alone cost. They blurred the sound with the 404 itself, so right now they are crippling the overall performance of the system.

Quick question about balanced vs unbalanced inputs (on the T1S) - is the amp working harder when I use unbalanced inputs, since I'm turning the volume knob a bit higher to get the same volume?

You should be turning it up 6dB (or so). As far as working harder the amp should be using 6db more gain as well and be 6db closer to the noise floor etc..

This in from Craig:

"There was a recent mixup with our STAX supplier, as apparently STAX has

stopped producing the separate SR-007 brown and SR-007A black pads.

They now sell only the SR-007A black pads under a new part number, the

EP-007. As a result, there has been a bit of a delay in getting your

pads -- but they should be arriving at our office hopefully early next week."

Trying my Stax/transfo boxes off a B&K ST-140 power amp this morning in my desk rig, instead of the Pass X250.5 in the big rig. Yipes. No wonder people don't like transfo boxes. Every configuration (ESC-1001, SRD-7/Pro, SRD-7, SR-X/Mk.III, SR-X/Mk.III Pro, SR-5NB, SR-404, Gamma Pros) sucks the fucking bozak. Yuck. And I actually like how this amp sounds with my Totem Forest speakers in my bedroom system..........

On another note, how are things with those Lundahls, Birgir?

This in from Craig:

"There was a recent mixup with our STAX supplier, as apparently STAX has

stopped producing the separate SR-007 brown and SR-007A black pads.

They now sell only the SR-007A black pads under a new part number, the

EP-007. As a result, there has been a bit of a delay in getting your

pads -- but they should be arriving at our office hopefully early next week."

Bollocks.

Does this mean no more black Mk.1 pads?

Sad.....you should send a set of the bigguns my way to be kept warm.......

Well the F5 is nearing completion so it shouldn't be long. I made some progress on it today but I still have to fire it up. Given the level of incompetence involved with stuffing the boards I'm expecting to have some issues... :(

Bollocks.

Does this mean no more black Mk.1 pads?

That would be my guess since Stax has this "newer is better" mentality.

Trying my Stax/transfo boxes off a B&K ST-140 power amp this morning in my desk rig........<snip> sucks the fucking bozak. Yuck <snip>

I had similarly poor results using a B&K EX4200 with an SRD-7 Pro, although it drives my Aerial 5s beautifully. Wondering if they are just too darn powerful for this application.