The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Just to add to Deepak's comment, and clarify my earlier comment:

When I said the Lambda Pro seemed more resolving from my SRM-T1W amp, I was comparing it to the 404LE ALSO from my amp. I just think the T1W didn't have enough to make the 404LE shine; something that the BH DID have IMO. I didn't listen enough to be able to compare the 404LE/BH combo to theT1W/Lamda pro combo (differnt sources, too).

Not that I love using equipment as tone controls, but the T1W/Lamda Pro's out of the Parasound seems to balance them pretty well. I somewhat agree with the "suckout" phrase, but wouldn't use that strong a term. The highs can be pronounced, and the bass (more midbass IMO) a bit pronounced at times too. That makes it SEEM like the mids are sucked out a bit. But I might classify them as closer to neutral, with EMPHASIS on other frequencies, rather than sucked out. An important difference to me.

Dinan bought my SR-404LE around Halloween while Elusivedisc was sold out. He kept his order for a spare pair, but sold one of the pairs a while back. I don't think he had three pairs, but I could be wrong. I listened to them on his modded SRM-717, but the SR-007 and HE-60 were still better. His 717 did sound really good.

I picked up my 404LEs a couple of days ago. I wanted to see if they were more resolving than the LNS. I really need a new headband for them as the leather is a mess and the sliders don't hold their position properly. Not to mention they creak, which is annoying. Anyway, possibly because of the pads the LNS sound a bit wider with a bit more bass and the 404LE sound like they need to loosen up. They don't suddenly go all ultra-boomy if you lift them a little like the LNS do. The included FR graph suggests they are very mid-forward, though I don't feel they don't sound that way so much, but they do have a spot-on forwardness that suits vocals. All this out of the T1S.

I just put a set of 404LE earpads on the 4070.

Man, that double-sided glue is sticky! The Stax instruction card on the box blithely states, use your fingertips to rub off the glue. Gah, the skin on my fingertips practically rubbed off too!

The mesh driver protectors are separate from the earpads, and have to be centered manually over the earpad opening and then the double-sided tape is applied. It can get a bit messy, and I don't think I aligned everything up perfectly. People with more OCDness than me will have a lot of fun with this.

The sound? Wow, it sounds so much better now! :D Ah, it feels better now, too. Real leather earpads FTW!

The 404le pad mod has been pretty popular. I found that putting the double sticky on the pad to be a PITA. I did the second one by putting the tape on the can, then pressing the pad on the cans.

The mesh holds in place with no need to adhere it. Do you suppose Stax will notice the sales of the 404le pads will far exceed the number of 404le's out there?

Let's hope they just keep selling them.

Given the high price and assuredly high profitability, I imagine Stax is kicking themselves for not coming up with leather earpads sooner.

The fabric discs aren't supposed to be glued in, they should simply sit in the driver cutout. Also with the 4070, take care not to block the ports.

Yah, yah, as if I'm going to believe anything someone who thinks some things are real leather when they obviously are not says about earpads.

(I didn't mention O2 earpads, n_maher can't touch this!)

can too

Edited by n_maher

haha, yes, I kind of figured that ;)

I just figure that it might be better to just start at the end first and save me some money for inbetween. Ive already been through enough of a "journy" on the dynamic side of things.

Just imagine, if the STAX could be rigged for Electroshock therapy, they could cure you of their addiction while you listened to them...

unless one is into that sort of thing...

Back to Stax: a few pages ago I asked about XLR wiring, phase, and the Stax-006t - well my XLR cables arrived yesterday (from Monoprice :)) and the channel separation is better than before (which is not that bad on RCA cables with the 006t). Thanks again spritzer and Colin.

That doesn't always work. I started off with the SR-007 and then ended owning the majority any and all electrostatic headphones ever made, multiple sets of some too.
I think I just figured out the appeal of the JH13's. It's an oversimplification, but: 'you can't do that'. Let me explain: so the theory is, if you start at the top (Stax O2), you run into a dilemma, because it is natural to still want to upgrade, but you've got nowhere to upgrade to. So two conflicting feelings emerge: satisfaction, and upgradeitis -- the combination of which leads to frustration. So you invent things to appease the upgradeitis -- namely, DIY mods. Well, with the JH13's, you can't do that. Well you can, but you have to have really, really small hands and be able to work in small places with small things -- kind of like a watchmaker. This will -- for the most part -- Darwin away most people. That leaves the satisfaction part, and only a small amount of upgradeitis, which can be more easily appeased by buying another notebook, netbook, laptop, or desktop. Or getting a Pico Slim, Pico DAC/Amp, TTVJ Amp/DAC, Headroom portable amp, or something similar of the sort. Or you can start investigating different softwares.

I think I just figured out the appeal of the JH13's. It's an oversimplification, but: 'you can't do that'. Let me explain: so the theory is, if you start at the top (Stax O2), you run into a dilemma, because it is natural to still want to upgrade, but you've got nowhere to upgrade to. So two conflicting feelings emerge: satisfaction, and upgradeitis -- the combination of which leads to frustration. So you invent things to appease the upgradeitis -- namely, DIY mods. Well, with the JH13's, you can't do that. Well you can, but you have to have really, really small hands and be able to work in small places with small things -- kind of like a watchmaker. This will -- for the most part -- Darwin away most people. That leaves the satisfaction part, and only a small amount of upgradeitis, which can be more easily appeased by buying another notebook, netbook, laptop, or desktop. Or getting a Pico Slim, Pico DAC/Amp, TTVJ Amp/DAC, Headroom portable amp, or something similar of the sort. Or you can start investigating different softwares.

There is still upgraditis, it just changes form, instead you start upgrading your amp and source, then you get bored of that and move into diy, then eventually I will toy with speakers, then I will die, such is life :)

While my headphone binge was fueled by upgraditis I'm all but cured now since there is nowhere to go from here until Stax releases something new. We are all but set with amps too so I think it is time to start working on something different rather then better. I'm going to build a D3a/KT88 amp like Frank Cooter's and then there are all the other crazy designs waiting for parts/time.

One thing that I've been thinking about lately is revisiting my plans for an electrostatic headphone... :palm:

While my headphone binge was fueled by upgraditis I'm all but cured now since there is nowhere to go from here until Stax releases something new. We are all but set with amps too so I think it is time to start working on something different rather then better. I'm going to build a D3a/KT88 amp like Frank Cooter's and then there are all the other crazy designs waiting for parts/time.

One thing that I've been thinking about lately is revisiting my plans for an electrostatic headphone... :palm:

845 Morgan Jones amp just because you can!