The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Hey, has anyone got listening comparisons experience with both the original omegas and the omega II's?

A pair of original omegas have popped up on ebay aus and its piped my interest.

For me the SR-Omega has many qualities but it isn't without fault either. Their biggest issues is the lack of control at high levels, some slight non-linearity in the bass and some upper midrange etch. So not perfect but pretty damn close and a far better headphone then the HE90. I do prefer the SR-007 but I could live happily with either one.

I can't find it either now...

Wonder why it got pulled?

I have no idea either. Maybe he sold it privately?

Yeah spritz, looks like im going to try find a pair of 007 on yahoo auction japan once I figure kuboten out.

Here it is again:

STAX SIGMA EARPHONES + SRM-T1W VACUUM TUBE DRIVER UNIT - eBay Headphones, Headphones, Headsets, Audio, Electronics. (end time 18-May-10 09:47:18 AEST)

Somebody must have made a superb deal on it as this pair was certainly one of the last pairs ever made (highest serial I've ever seen) and in beautiful condition.

There is an SR-007 Mk1 at Fujiya Avic as well if you are interested.

It's quite amazing that Stax sold 550+ Omegas in two years when Sennheiser took the better part of two decades to shift all of the HE90's.

Original O is still the headphone that I want, I would even go for the one with SR-007 drivers. Did you sell the one you had?

So I was speaking with a well known audio dealer today and in passing he mentioned that Stax recently dropped 90% of their US dealers, including himself. This strikes me as a very bad sign, especially when you couple it with the news out of the Kuboten camp that Stax parts even in the home country have been hard to come by (specifically some pads). Stax doesn't offer any "budget" headphones and all of them require a stax-specific amp so I wonder if they have been hit harder than most during the recent economic downturn. :(

Given how well the 404LE sold I do doubt they are having any trouble selling everything they make. Also look at the saturation of Stax in the UK and they must be selling a bunch over there.

I think the real problem is Yama's wasn't up to the task. There were plenty of dealers but when they called Yama's to order nobody answered the phone. Stax has had endless trouble with the US distributors which is why the market has never been as strong as for instance Germany.

just became the proud owner of this headphone

STAX SIGMA EARPHONES + SRM-T1W VACUUM TUBE DRIVER UNIT - eBay Headphones, Headphones, Headsets, Audio, Electronics. (end time 18-May-10 09:47:18 AEST)

did not bought the headphone through the ebay listing, the seller pull the listing off ebay, and i have a private bidding war with someone else from interstate. the final price went far exceed the original price the seller asked, and it burnt a big hole in my bank account :( ,the silly reason i won't back off is, the seller live not far from me, and the headphone is like new just like he said.

just sold my headamp kgss 3 days ago facepalm.png

only amps left now is the ss and hybrid exstata i built and the srm-t1w come with the system.

anyone thinking of pull out of the diy t2 project? very tempted now to build one of this to listen to the combo icon11.gif

Anybody who owns one or the other and wants to send them this way, I'd be happy to keep them both for 2 months then write some obfoscatory bullshit slightly in favour of the SC-1.

Also, if you have any unwanted Gin, I'll take that for free.

I miss both pairs of SR-202 from this house.

just became the proud owner of this headphone

did not bought the headphone through the ebay listing, the seller pull the listing off ebay, and i have a private bidding war with someone else from interstate. the final price went far exceed the original price the seller asked, and it burnt a big hole in my bank account :( ,the silly reason i won't back off is, the seller live not far from me, and the headphone is like new just like he said.

just sold my headamp kgss 3 days ago facepalm.png

only amps left now is the ss and hybrid exstata i built and the srm-t1w come with the system.

anyone thinking of pull out of the diy t2 project? very tempted now to build one of this to listen to the combo icon11.gif

I wondered about that auction. Let us know the condition of the gear when you receive it.

Man, I missed your KGSS too. I have been trying to find a HeadAmp KGSS for a long time now. I owned one a few years ago and sold it as well.