Briefcases, Bags, and the Murse

The Monkey

Not that I own and iPad, but I think I would use this more as a case than a bag. i.e. no strap. That said, it can't be that heavy so I don't think the strap would be uncomfortable.

I made the snap decision to go with the canvas one. Maybe I should change to leather. Maybe I should buy an iPad first. :palm:

Tough call, honestly, they both look good to me. The leather may be nicer in the pic, but that canvas might be nicer in person. It is remade from some sort of WW2 materials and mercutiio next door seems to quite love it. I suspect you'll need to see it in person, then you'll know. I'm sure they'll exchange it if you change your mind. If not, you could always send it my way. :-)

The Tom Bihn stuff is going back. It is very well made, but it's just not exactly what I'm looking for. A little to "strappy." I need something just a bit more streamlined. But I think these guys make good stuff and would recommend them.

Now thinking about a Jack Spade bag.

For me, Jack Spade may cross the line. :) My law partner has a messenger bag of some type and I am not a fan but that is the only one I've seen, other than in a pic. Some how carrying a bag that is even close in name to something my wife carries keeps me from considering his bags.

My biggest problem with the Jack Spade bags are that everyone and their dog has one in NYC. The subway is full of the messenger laptop bag. I have the Green and Orange one and a Black and Blue one.

Edited by VPI

Some nice bags here: Blackbird - Bags

Dusty, most of the bags I have seen thus far that have incorporated protection have done so for laptops/notebooks. It seems like bag mfrs. are not yet integrating iPad-specific compartments into the cases. However, some are designed for netbooks, so those could work. Most of the iPad-specific bags I have seen have been of the vertical half-bag variety. Although Booq has a couple that may fit the bill: iPad bags and iPad cases by booq

So do any of these have hard compartments to protect the iPad, or is it supposed to prevent its own torque? The reason I ask is, I'd be interested in getting something similar, with a compartment for my Kindle DX, which is similarly sized, but I'm worried about torque.
Just to answer my own question, I'm thinking about getting a Pelican 1080, and a larger bag that will incorporate the 1080. The whole point is, I don't want a bag just for the Kindle, I have a few other things I carry around with me regularly (second pair of glasses, cell phone, drugs, iPod, etc.). Haven't confirmed that it's the best fit yet (lot of overage). But thought I'd throw it out there if anyone else likes that solution for their iPad -- does the iPad have the same problem as the Kindle DX (feels flimsy, is flimsy, will break too easily if thrown in a duffle/backpack/knapsack/murse/manbag/purse/briefcase/satchel/whatev)? Any reports of broken iPads coming in yet? Edited by Dusty Chalk