7 Hdman

8 Johnwmcclean

9 Eggil

10 T-Money

11 Deadlylover

12 cobra_kai

13 JoaMat

14 Livewire

15, 16, 17 Hennyo , I assume this is the guy Kevin refered to that had 3 working.

Edited by eggil

Youse missed Tari on post 1838

"10 - Tari

I'll post a couple pictures when I get the chance. "

1 Kevin Gilmore

2 Spritzer

3 Horio

4 Dave

5 Blubliss

6 Victor Chew

7 Hdman

8 Johnwmcclean

9 Eggil

10 T-Money

11 Deadlylover

12 cobra_kai

13 JoaMat

14 Livewire

15 Tari

(16, 17, 18 Hennyo , I assume this is the guy Kevin refered to that had 3 working.) perhaps....

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I turned on the kgsshv, and nothing. Blew a fuse.

Put in another fuse and it fired right up.......with a faint buzzing coming from the transformer.

Then the smell of magic smoke accompanied with substantial heat rising from the toroid.

Seems like my SumR piece of shit has a short. angry.gif

Oh well, I have yet to tear into it and form a plan of action.

I'll just fire up my itty-bitty Stax amp and experience bliss without the bass. biggrin.gif

FWIW, Previously I did order from SumR, the beefier (100ma?) trafo spec that Spritzer mentioned.

I think that I may head to ebay and pick up a cheap Hammond dual 500 volt job and be done with it.

I have a 15VDC Sola brick (ala the original kgss) that I will be using in addition for the low-v stuff.

Same thing just happened on my HV. My specs were the lesser ones (65VA, 70ma on the hv windings). This is my fourth SumR transformer to blow on the HV winding (3 from the T2). Pissing me off now.

Did you end up with a Hammond livewire? SumR has replaced all my other transformers basically for free (had to send a few back).

This transformer stuff makes no sense and is really pissing me off.

The DC current to the amplifier (both channels) is 45ma

70ma AC absolutely should be enough. None of my prototype

transformers have ever blown, and some are 3+ years old with

lots and lots of use including accidentally being left on for a week.

The testing i did for justin's bhse transformer was a 150% overload

for 3 days, no problem.

Maybe time to find someone to make some R core transformers for us

because those are linear windings, not subject to kinks or other issues

with winding a torroid.

Same thing just happened on my HV. My specs were the lesser ones (65VA, 70ma on the hv windings). This is my fourth SumR transformer to blow on the HV winding (3 from the T2). Pissing me off now.

Did you end up with a Hammond livewire? SumR has replaced all my other transformers basically for free (had to send a few back).

Hi Andy,

No I didnt.

Frank Cooter chimed in a while later and recommended that I look into an off the shelf Antec toroid.

They cost about 1/3 the price of the Hammond, about $54 IIRC.

He also mentioned that it was a good idea to multiply the required current spec by a factor of three or thereabouts

to help with the inrush and keeping it running cool. Yay Team Overkill ! I went with a 400ma monster toroid.

Dual 450VAC windings, I was just barely able to shoehorn it into the chassis. It does run cool.

I will be using one of these for my upcoming KGBH build, they are available with dual 6.3V heater windings on the same core.

If you use 6.3V windings on the HV transformer and use a delay circuit for the 6CA7 heaters, you need to add Relay into the HV lines (secondary) instead of the 120v primary line...

Edited by Inu

If you use 6.3V windings on the HV transformer and use a delay circuit for the 6CA7 heaters, you need to add Relay into the HV lines (secondary) instead of the 120v primary line...

Thanks Inu and KG for the input.

To be honest, I was going to build it as outlined in the headWize KGBH article. (one big donut without relay delays)

A quad of JJ tubes are cheap enough, lower life due to hard startup doesnt concern me much.

(as long as it doesnt blow up all of the time.)

In this case, I would prolly also take the precaution of having the phones unplugged to avoid popping surges on startup.

I do have a delay board on the way, but havent seen it yet, so dont know it's absolute function.

If I understand this correctly, upon start-up, a slow start circuit for the heaters is best,

followed by a ~40 second delay before HV is gradually applied to the plates.

During this interval, it is best if the input is attenuated as well.

I know this has been asked before, but would there be a problem using DC for the heater voltage?

I've heard that AC can induce hum.

Edited by livewire

do have a delay board on the way, but havent seen it yet, so dont know it's absolute function.

It does exactly that, delay the HT transformer for about 55s give or take.

It's the same circuit that Kevin put on the t2 psu board but with a small 12v regulator on it for power.

If you don't have two separate transformers then I guess you'd have to relay the secondaries... which makes me nervous for some reason.

Is it ill founded worry? (serious question)