i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

I had one board which just didn't work no matter how many parts I swapped out. 

Thanks spritzer!

I'm not too sure what's going on here, rs-online says they have some 4686a coming in a couple of weeks despite the part being discontinued. I might clean them out if that's not an error.

Failing that, I'll clean out satodenki, but it might be expensive at ~$1.50 a pop.  :laugh:

I'm sure there are a bunch of these sitting in a warehouse somewhere so it is entirely possible for people to have some incoming. 

I'm also looking into subs but I've found nothing in a fully isolated package that is half as good.  :(

I really wouldn't hope for the best in your situation...

I had one channel that was doing similar things (after some initial damage by accident,) but I didn't try if it were able to produce sound after the damage.

I reaplaced the blown resistors, powered on without any problem, and it ran some 4 hours before I turned it off.

Meanwhile, I tested the current draw across the damaged resistors against the other working board, and the resistors that were damaged (replaced) were drawing some 30%~40% more current (forgot the specific values.) I also wasn't able to get the offset to 0V with the default resistor values.

Right now, I threw that damaged board out because I couldn't identify the cause... and the newly populated board is running flawlessly. (left on for some 10 days during the longest run.)

Good luck on the build, but just as back up, I would get some spare boards and parts just in case if you decide to toss the current one out.

By the way... trying to fix the damaged board wasted almost a week of my time while populating the new board only took me one afternoon.... a much easier and quicker fix.

I had one board which just didn't work no matter how many parts I swapped out. 

Thanks for sharing those experiences guys; since that incident I've clocked another 12 hours or so on it (it really is quite addictive to listen to; did I say I'm really glad I'm working from home this week? :P) and touching wood things seem to be fine there - had to bias and offset again but they are all in millivolts whereas when it blew it went up to 20-40volts.

Which reminds me; the static sound that I heard on that one occasion it happened again as I was trying to get everything up again. It had to do with my pot ground - bad soldering job maybe? (had 4 small wires from the pot leading to one ground cable - I've redone it and connected it to another part of the chassis and that's all sorted). What happened then was it'll be low volts as the pot is brought close to ground, but once I hit the limit of the pot it bumps all the way back up to 20+ volts. This makes me think that maybe I was balancing it wrongly previously because my pot ground was giving me wrong values which I used for balancing? Which may account for why things went south?

At this stage I may try to find some time this weekend to do some measuring on the board.

I guess the new variant of the KGSSHV that's ramping up may be right on time. Then I can put to rest some of my inklings to try my hand at the Megatron when the boards are ready for it.

Hi guys, just an update on the 4686A.

I spoke with RS online, and it was indeed a glitch on the system, they don't have any coming in unfortunately.

I will then liberate satodenki of their 4686's, I've gotten a few PM's about it as well, and I'm happy to share them at cost price if I'm successful.

For the old style boards I used a Par-Metal 16"D X 16"W X 4"H box.

Greybox has similar width and depth dimensions listed. 

The 2U height they list will be cutting it close unless you use small heatsinks. (not recommended)

The 3U high box would work fine.

The new style boards will be substantially smaller, a smaller enclosure could be used.

They are still a work in progress and have not been finalized.

Pic of my KGSSHV layout below. (1st board run)

post-2625-0-39455200-1365536486_thumb.jp

Hi guys, another update on the 4686.

Satodenki had heaps, but unfortunately, they wouldn't budge on the price even when I tried to order 1500 pieces. I did secure a small order of 500 @ ~$1.50ea (commission/ poor exchange rate and all that) just in case.

I'll jump through some hoops and try and order another thousand or two while figuring out the best exchange rate and shopping around for the best commission on proxy services. I'd estimate the best price I can get is $1.25ish, which isn't super great compared to when it was in production, but it's not too unreasonable IMO.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Oh wow, I didn't think so many people would be interested. PM's are fine too, no need to clutter the thread.

Please assume the price will be ~AUD$1.50, I will try to get it down as low as possible, but no promises! Again, this will be at cost price, but somehow I can't help but feel like a bad guy charging so much.  :-[

I don't know when I will be able to ship (quite busy atm, might be a month or two), but I will set them aside for you (bailing out anytime is cool), just lemme know how much you're interested in.

We'll worry about payment and other details once I can send the packages out.

Looks like we might actually clean them out after all.  8)

Sigh, the buggers upped their price from 116 to 168yen, I didn't think they'd up the price so quickly.  :-

I did happen to get the 500 at the $1.50 mark (151yen after commission), the new price for another order will be ~185yen @ 10% comm. with Kuboten or a few other places.

The current order total is exactly 500 pieces too, so I'm thinking about either closing it up here and forfeiting my stash of 500, or, averaging the price out for an extra order.

Let me know what you guys think.