Celebrity meets/attitude in real life

forbigger

^^ :)

I used to work as a handler for college republicans, which transitioned into a job as a handler for a big talk radio program. Met, and briefly spoke with, a good number of political figures and authors. I really thought every single one of them was great, regardless of their political leanings. I think politics is a profession where appearing gracious and genial to strangers really serves you well, though.

Damn, I'm way behind on my training then. I didn't know I was supposed to learn martial arts. :o

Don't need to train. Just born knowing it, I thought.

Must sing show tunes while performing Karate forms.[/quote

Now there's an image for my brain ... Sulu jumps in on an alien fight, karate chop to the neck, perfect form, alien goes down, scene turns to Sulu doing a nice rendition of 'Somewhere' or maybe 'I Feel Pretty' from West Side Story, rest of the Enterprise crew backing nicely.

Star Trek, The Musical. 'The Trouble with Tribbles and Sulu (Oh, My!)'

Sarah McLaughlin, met her on my B-Day in DFW airport, totally cool lady

McLachlan. I've met her a few times and somehow ended up having breakfast with her earlier this year, she's a truly remarkable woman. Really nice and down to eath, and she has this way of putting you at ease and making you feel like you've known each other for a long time even though you met like 5 minutes ago.

Briefly met Wanderlei Silva last year, he's a scary looking badass especially considering what he does for a living, but he's the probably the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He truly cares about his fans and he's just a super cool guy to talk to and chill with.

Doug Gilmour & Peter Zezel used to visit the shop I worked in around 10 years ago, sometimes one of the other Leafs players would drop by with one of them. They were pretty quiet guys and didn't really like to talk much about hockey, but other than that one issue they were nice guys.

My favorite guys I ever met were God Lives Underwater -- totally entertaining fellows. They're a lot like what I am online -- just lots of tangents, silliness, disposable humor, and whatnot, and you wonder how they get anything done. The person I was with (the real journalist -- I was just a hanger-on) had to throw out the interview, she said there wasn't enough in it, and it wasn't worth the hassle of editing. I laughed. She later fired me. In hindsight, I probably deserved it (wasn't exactly qualified).

I drove Mike Wallace to the airport once. I was working as a driver for the Smithsonian WWII memorial unveiling (my friend was the transportation coordinator) and we were picking up and dropping off speakers and guests during the week. He was quite nice and we talked about vacationing on Cape Cod and how he grew up down the street from the Kennedys. It was a neat 30 minutes.

I don't know how big a celebrity the world thinks he is, but I frequently walk by and chat with Coach Roy Williams here at UNC. Very nice and down to earth. Fancies a Hawaiian shirt on occasion.

Wayne Newton - really nice down to earth guy, was a friend of my grandmother (who would always get comped a room at Ceasars Palace). We visited his home once in 1984, he had lot's of peacocks (the bird kind).

Allan Alda - polite and quiet, but shaking hands with him was like holding a limp fish. Yuck. I was taken to the set of MASH in 1979 by a friend of my grandmother who worked at the studio.

Jaimie Farr - funny guy even off screen, strong handshake.