Celebrity meets/attitude in real life

forbigger

In my line of work sometimes I got to brush shoulder with them. Most of them are quite nice. Some that I could remember (and no, I'm not those guy that stands outside a glitzy club waiting for them) :

- Paris Hilton : contrary to popular beliefs, she has a sweet sweet personality. Readily to take all the requests for picture or autograph. A bit too welcoming IMHO.

- Jamie Foxx : nice guy too

- Leo Caprio : very reserve bloke. Never seen him entertaining requests for pictures or autograph. Though the way he turn the request down was very polite.

- Eva Longoria : Usually will entertain peoples request for pic but can be quite rude sometimes. Gorgeous in real life as like in the screen.

- Will Smith : the equivalent of Paris in male form. Too bad the security details were too strict. Cant blame them too.

Some of you guys may think "who gives a shit about them??" but hey for the sake of discussion why not.....

Post your real life encounters and your impression about them......

When I was in college at UNLV, I worked at an Italian restaurant with a very good reputation. It was called the Venetian, but that was well before the Venetian hotel was built ('80-'81).

Frank Sinatra and entourage were there most Thursday evenings. This was when Frank was on the board at Ceaser's Palace.

He was the biggest asshole I've ever had to deal with, and I hated waiting on him. He treated staff like they were peasants at his beck and call. I made it a point to be pleasant, but just enough to avoid problems.

I also waited on Waylon Flowers regularly (Madam the puppet's controller from Hollywood Squares). He was a blast! He actually helped me to become open about my sexuallity, and was the first person I ever came out to. His boyfriend was just as much fun, and they always left me a C note.

I waited on Sally Fields in Brownsville, Texas (just before I transfered to UNLV) twice, while she was making the movie 'Backroads' with Tommy Lee Jones. She was an absolute sweetheart, and quite down to earth.

There was mention of some celebs being members on Head-Fi, not that I know who their screen names are/were. I remember one time or another, tuberoller will tout his cousin Shak, but he never revealed what his handle was. He also mentioned that he knew of a few more celebs that were active members. I remember there was a Fabio run of threads (hilarious, btw).

Met a few rock guys in the 90s working in retail cd stores

Davies brothers Ray was a sweetheart and down to earth while Dave Davies was a loud drunk pouring beer on people in the meet and greet.

Lemmy of Motorhead, hellacious B/O but a real nice person

Chris Rock, he shopped in my store in Brooklyn and bit too close for comfort to the Pookie character in New Jack City but a good guy

Dice Clay, shopped in another Brooklyn store and was completely wasted luckily he had a handler with him that kept him in check

Sarah McLaughlin, met her on my B-Day in DFW airport, totally cool lady

Todd Rundgren, did an instore appearance at a store in NYC I ran, what a great guy wrote a letter to my boss about how great we treated him. I was shocked he went out of his way to do this.

Deon Sanders, mixed review on him, he was promoting his rap cd in the same NYC store and was a bit of a pain in the ass but signed a slew of footaball afterwards which was a cool move on his part.

War, same store performed an in store concert, we busted a percussionist lifting cassettes after the show. Nice guys except the klepto

Ben Harper, totally cool we hung out with him after a show downtown NYC after his first CD was released. Maybe the most down to earth musician I have met

LL Cool J, nice guy met him pre tv career whens Queens rappers were all the rage

The Fat Boys, fun guys always a riot when they came in the store

All and All most were nice guys when approached respectfully

I met Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson back in the day. I worked for Camelot Music and they had an annual convention for the management folks. Ian Hunter's band played for one of these and then we got to hang a bit and chat afterwords. Ian was OK but Ronson was very cool and endured me asking a hundred questions about his days with Bowie. Very gracious dude.

Robert DeNiro - jerk

Lou Reed - low key

Justin Tuck - Nice, enormous

Derek Jeter - Decent guy, knew he was the shit

Joe Klecko - Down to earth, so nice

Mark Gastineau - Scary

Eek-A-Mouse - Really funny

Joe Lovano - Outgoing, friendly

Shelly Winters - Nuts

Sean Lennon - Knew him as a kid, nice guy then

Soon-Yi Previn - Knew her as a kid. Quiet, but nice

A ton of chefs while at the Food Network - a lot of very nice people, but also a lot of prima donnas

i have a hard time imagining robert deniro has a jerk. a psycho killer, sure, but not a jerk.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I interrupted his lunch a little bit...

I was once in an elevator with Steve Austin the wrestler. He was very quiet and seemed put off at the request of an autograph from another person in the elevator. Still polite about it though.

I rode in an elevator with Mike Ditka in a Chicago hotel (I believe his steakhouse was in the hotel) several years ago. He was smoking a cigar--in the elevator. A couple with a baby got on and the baby looked at Ditka and immediately started bawling.

Ditka: "I have that effect on babies."

Rode up an elevator with Karl Malone the former basketball player. He looked straight ahead (which was about 10-12 inches higher than everyone else in the elevator) with a blank face the entire time, while everyone else looked up to see who this huge guy was. No one said a word to him, he didn't say a word to anyone else. Not sure I'd act any differently if I was Karl Malone.

Mid to late 90s in Miami, FL: George Takei (Sulu from original Star Trek) was on a book tour since he's just released his Trek memoirs. That will tell you the exact year.

Borders was insanely jam packed out of control and this man was so kind and patient with everyone. He took time to chat with people in line, the mood of the crowd was excellent, and I really couldn't have been more impressed. Super class act. Super nice guy.

Mid to late 90s in Miami, FL: George Takei (Sulu from original Star Trek) was on a book tour since he's just released his Trek memoirs. That will tell you the exact year.

Borders was insanely jam packed out of control and this man was so kind and patient with everyone. He took time to chat with people in line, the mood of the crowd was excellent, and I really couldn't have been more impressed. Super class act. Super nice guy.

My people are generally cordial. :) We don't claim Richard Simmons though!

LOL. I guess that's why he is so silent ... better to not open your mouth and just stare straight ahead ... perhaps someone will think you're Chancey Gardener in 'Being There'.

My people are generally cordial. :) We don't claim Richard Simmons though!

My brother and I always got a big kick out of how, in the midst of a big alien fight, with everyone throwing punches left and right, Sulu would come out of nowhere with a single karate chop to the neck which would immediately render anything unconscious! Do all homosexuals know martial arts?