Small transport?

blessingx

Size is getting to be important and looking for a small cheap CDP with digital outs. Coming to you all for help. Used fine. Haven't had luck finding much, but something along the lines of this would work. Otherwise seems to be more DVD players (though not always with displays) in this range. Basically going for a Squeezebox/Lavry/GS-1 rig so trying to keep width near or less than 10". And Dusty Approved Black. Anyone know of any CD models I should consider or DVD players usable with an external display? If only my DVD-2900 was about a quarter its size.

They certainly have 1/4 size DVD players. I keep my Sony ...erm, forget the model number, but it's really weird shaped, like a wedge, with the transport at an angle, is several year old technology, but had a great picture, and 24/96 out on its coaxial.

Here are some others: Samsung, Sony portable, multiregion Sony...well, you can google ("small DVD player" &&/|| "portable dvd player"), yourself, neh?

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful, was it?

Size is getting to be important and looking for a small cheap CDP with digital outs. Coming to you all for help. Used fine. Haven't had luck finding much, but something along the lines of this would work. Otherwise seems to be more DVD players (though not always with displays) in this range. Basically going for a Squeezebox/Lavry/GS-1 rig so trying to keep width near or less than 10". And Dusty Approved Black. Anyone know of any CD models I should consider or DVD players usable with an external display? If only my DVD-2900 was about a quarter its size.

Well, I have one of these Akai portable DVD, but the coax S/PDIF output only seems to output with DVD and DVD-A. I've been meaning to investigate more to see if I can activate it with a music CD. Akai Pdvd 170 pdvd170 - Akai portable 7" dvd Player code free multiregion 110-220 volts pal ntsc

I saw the Shanling CD player was mentioned, and I've heard good things about it. You could also try to pick up a used discontinued Sony portable CD with optical, like the D-EJ2000, D-NE20, or D-E999 like I did. I'm not convinced these are as good as my full size CD5001 as an optical transport. Maybe someone here can comment on the jitter levels with these PCDP?

[i notice you mentioned cheap as a one criteria - this wont qualify at cheap, but the Nuforce CDP-8 is only about 1-2" wider than my Woo WA6, and about 2" tall and fits nicely under the WA6. But it's probably about 14" deep. It's RCA output beats my Apogee mini-DAC for refinement and soundstage, and it has RCA and BNC coax SPDIF out, but no optical. It also works great as a transport to my PWD, and it uses an upgraded constant speed optical drive with buffered output and jitter reduction (like the digital lens in the PWT but for hundreds less cost)]

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Really great starting point. One of these will likely work out. Maybe the CAL. Love especially the Stello, but afraid it's kinda outta my price range (as it's going to be in minority use status). Probably no CDJ because of aesthetic reasons. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Another (late) vote for the CAL Delta. One of my workhorse CD spinners (Icon Mk.II w/aptly named Power Boss upgrade) uses the same Technics transport mechanism and it is absolutely unkillable despite considerable effort on my part. I've put stupid hours on it in the 5 years I've had it. Not to mention I still can't find anything it won't play, and it ploughs through brutally scratched and scathed CDs long after every other transport in my stable has cried for mommy. I've never owned another CD spinner as hiccup-free and flawlessly reliable. It's the best sounding sub-$1000 (used) standalone CD player I've heard by a stupid margin, and while not the best sub-$1k (used) transport (that award going to the Micromega Drive 3, which sounds so good it doesn't make any sense whatsoever as it effortlessly reduces a Levinson No.37 to a pile of merde), it's certainly very respectable in that arena. It is the last piece of high end gear I'd ever sell under any circumstances.