What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Well the closest I could find was a Jamie Boudreau cocktail called the Dupont

2 oz rye whiskey

¾ oz Campari

½ oz beer liqueur

Stir and strain into cocktail glass.

Why not name it yourself? How about a Cajun Negroni? The proportions look pretty good unless you want the Campari in the background.

Well I found a Negroni variation called the Boulevardier that uses rye or bourbon in place of the gin, so maybe this should be the Everyman.

Squire Duggeh brought me a little something from his homeland on his last visit to the States and I finally got around to cracking it today.

web.jpg?ver=13121531950001

The full story of the Brew Dog Prototype 27 is found on the Brew Dog Blog, but it is special bottling of Hardcore IPA with fresh Scottish raspberries that was aged in a 1982 Caol Ila cask and resulted in only 150 bottles!!! I think that has to be the most exclusive brew I have had that wasn't made in a friend's garage. I knew it was too cold when I started drinking it but I couldn't wait. The raspberries hit right up front and then the hops bite settles in. Now that it is warming and opening up a bit, the wood and smoke lay across my tongue on the finish. The blog tasting notes are more detailed and flowery. Thank you Duggeh, this a radical brew!

web.jpg?ver=13121531950001

Cheers!

Nice Pimm's Cup! I helped my nephew and his fiancee come up with the "signature cocktails" for their outdoor garden party wedding next weekend and the Pimm's Cup is one of them. The other two are the John Collins and a Lemon Drop Punch I cobbled together from various recipes. She loves the lemon drop but they didn't want all the guests getting hammered out in the sun with the regular shots. Should be good.

Wondering how Marc's much more elaborate cocktail list worked out for his friend's party. Marc?

bummer Shelly - I hope you went back and got it at some point...

Ran an experiment while cooking, I put curry powder on half.. the slices.. worked well.

I was too tired/lazy to go back - plus I didn't notice for 2 days. Unfortunately, I also forgot about a pound of delicious Dabecca Honey Ham at the same time.

I'll have to try curry powder bacon sometime.

Moar 2007 Peter Michael Les Pavots, much better today I really like this stuff.

Preparing for tomorrow when we leave for one week at the beach in Laguna, Yah, pizza and wine for the week!

There will be no snake photos but there may be a few seal, dolphin and shark shots to keep my Marlin Perkins thread alive.

Wasn't really feeling it with the Boulevardier, so it took longer to finish it. On the Everyman now and even it is kinda lacking this time. I think the High West Double Rye is just fail all around, to be perfectly honest.

Good to know, Fitz. The Rendezvous and the Bourye are both good options by High West. And the Boulevardier is a great cocktail in the right moment and with the right rye.

I had some Banyan Monterey Gewurztraminer with dinner and now I am having a cocktail from today's Cocktailian column by Gary Regan. It's a recipe from some Parisian bartenders who offered a Manhattan alternative and Regan called it one of the most balanced cocktails he had ever had. I would have to agree. Very tasty and another nice alternative with Bonal.

The Mountain Man

1.75 oz bourbon

.50 oz Cocchi Americano

.50 oz Bonal

2 dashes orange bitters

maraschino cherry for garnish

web.jpg?ver=13121698180001

Edited by Voltron

I'm pretty sure the Toco Giant has the Rendezvous, so I'll definitely have to pick it up next time I'm in that area. The weird smell/taste of the Double Rye I first noticed has faded since I initially opened it, but it still lacks the distinct spice and bite of the other ryes I've had.

If you find the Willett Single Barrel 2-year or 3-year rye you will have all the bite and spice you could want for $30 and at 114-115 proof it is a bargain.

462581271_o.jpg

I only had a half ounce of Cocchi Americano left so I made another of the same. I'm getting all Broke Back with this Mountain Man.

Thanks for the warning on the double rye. I guess sometimes moar is not better. I will definitely second Al on the Rendevous Rye as a very good rye and the Willet as good and a definite bargain.

The Mountain Man sounds good Al, will definitely put that on the list.

Nice choice on the Pimm's Cup Shelly. Sorry about the Berlioni. I wonder if a different gin may be in order.

Picked up some Strega the other day so decided to give it a whirl.

The Georgia

1 1/4 oz North Shore #11 Gin

1 1/4 oz Lemon Juice

1/2 oz Strega

1/2 oz Gomme Syrup

A dollop of egg white

Shake well and double strain into a cocktail glass

4acef065.jpg

Edited by morphsci

If you find the Willett Single Barrel 2-year or 3-year rye you will have all the bite and spice you could want for $30 and at 114-115 proof it is a bargain.

I haven't noticed it, but if I see it I'll definitely pick it up. I can find most of the usual suspects for bourbon here, but rye just seems to be a bit of an elusive figure. I think Bulliet Rye is the only other readily available one I haven't tried.