What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

First did a quick comparison of the Boomsma Oude (old) and the Genevieve

IMG_0052.jpg

The Boomsma Oude is more subdued than the Genevieve and has less bite. To be expected given the oak barrel aging of the Boomsma. Nevertheless, the Genevieve appears to be a true Genever as the basic flavor profile to me is about the same.

Next a cocktail I have been wanting to mix for a while The Alamagoozlum Cocktail

1/4 egg white

1 oz genever (Boomsma Oude)

1 oz water (ddi)

3/4 oz Jamaican rum (Smith and Cross Navy Proof)

3/4 oz yellow Chartreuse or green Chartreuse (Green)

3/4 oz gomme syrup (Scrappy's)

1/4 oz Curaçao (Gabriel Boudier Dijon)

1/4 oz Angostura bitters

Shake hard and long (no comments) with ice in a cocktail shaker.

Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

(I cut the recipe in half as it was supposed to make three)

IMG_0053.jpg

Kristine Ashe Sauvignon Blanc. Very very good, up there with Peter Michael and Helen Turley more like a Montrachet than a Cali Sauvignon blanc very long finish.

Nectar of the chalky soil with a bumblebee finish I'd say.

Edited by Augsburger

Beautiful Red Hook Shelly. I just made some around new year's and it is a tasty treat.

Thanks for the first impressions, Jim. How was the Alamagoozlum?

I really need to drink some wine with Greg one of these days.

I forgot to mention I am having a nice Brooklyn with Wild Turkey rye 101, Torani Amer, Dolin Blanc, and Luxardo Maraschino

Edited by Voltron

Next time you are in the area Al, just give me a ringy dingy I am sure we can dig up something decent. :)

" having a nice Brooklyn with Wild Turkey rye 101, Torani Amer, Dolin Blanc, and Luxardo Maraschino" That sounds mighty tasty, I haven't had Wild Turkey in ages, gonna try to remember to stop by this week and pick up a bottle. My cabinet is sadly lacking in any rye. :(

Thanks for the first impressions, Jim. How was the Alamagoozlum?

I really need to drink some wine with Greg one of these days.

^This

Do tell Jim!

My cabinet is sadly lacking in any rye. :(

:sadcat:

I forgot to mention I am having a nice Brooklyn with Wild Turkey rye 101, Torani Amer, Dolin Blanc, and Luxardo Maraschino

Built a Red Hook with Shelly's proportions except 2.5 oz Wild Turkey rye because that was all that was left in the bottle. Nom Nom Nom

Nice rye night! Looks like it is time to get some more WT.

Since you guys are out west of here you may want to give the rendezvous rye from High West distillery a try. Just sayin'.

The alamagoozlum is a bit sweet but it is pretty layered in tastes and goes down pretty easy. I want to compare the Oude and Genevieve in it side by side. Maybe tonight if I get home at a reasonable hour.

Edited by morphsci

15004caf.jpg

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Whole Hop Double IPA....

A double-dry-hopped and torpedoed DIPA (~9.5%) made at Sierra Nevada Beer Camp for SF Beer Week 2010...

seriously hoppy...like it...I hear that their Hopsichord is even better but, afaik, it's only available on draft...

2008 Bodega Catena Zapata Cabernet Sauvignon

I hear that's nice stuff! Shelly, you seem to be on an Argentina kick lately, nice move, so following Shelly's lead I am having a Brancaia Tuscan rosso.

Ok, so it isn't from Argentina but it is red and it isn't from California.