slower forum

Knuckledragger

From another forum I'm on:

Some of you know Slade Blackburn. Some of you are familiar with his films. His humor his crass. His production value is almost non-existent. And he likes puppets.

About 4 years ago he made this video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/XhBkJ7rSFgs

It is called "Respecting Others." There are some funny parts.

What is absolutely EPIC, however, is this post from his Facebook feed this afternoon:

He has decided not to remove the video.

This girl wears a solar-powered bikini that charges her iPod. It took designer Andrew Schneider 80 hours to sew photovoltaic panels to the swimsuit that costs about £120.

It would have been a lot quicker for him to sew them on if she wasn't wearing the bikini at the time, but where's the fun in that?!

Edited by Voltron

He turned down what would have worked out at about $400,000,000 for playing Gandalf in LOTR, also he wants Scottish Independence (but even if that happens, isn't going to move back). So he's more than mad enough to have his secretary type out something like that.

I thought they were epically grand, myself.

But I can just picture it:

"Take that, Saruman, you old tweezer!"

"What was that?"

"It's called, 'ad-libbing'."

"No, I mean, what on earth is a 'tweezer', and why did you call him that? We've already come to grips with the fact that we're going to be doing a lot of editing in post..."

"Twat...Geezer...Tweezer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Metal_Jacket#Cast_of_characters

Tim Colceri as the door gunner, the Loadmaster and machine gunner of the H-34 Choctaw helicopter transporting Joker and Rafter Man to the Tet Offensive front. Inflight, he shoots at civilians, while enthusiastically repeating "Get some!", boasting "157 dead Gooks killed, and 50 water buffaloes too." When Joker asks if that includes women and children, he admits it stating, "Sometimes." Joker then asks, "How could you shoot women and children?" to which the door gunner replies jokingly, "Easy, you just don't lead 'em so much!...Ha, ha, ha, ha...Ain't war hell?!" This scene is adapted from Michael Herr's 1977 book Dispatches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Metal_Jacket#Development

Stanley Kubrick contacted Michael Herr, author of the Vietnam War memoir Dispatches, in the spring of 1980 to discuss working on a film about the Holocaust, but eventually discarded that in favor of a film about the Vietnam War.[2] They met in England and the director told him that he wanted to do a war film but he had yet to find a story to adapt.[3] Kubrick discovered Gustav Hasford's novel The Short-Timers while reading the Virginia Kirkus Review[4] and Herr received it in bound galleys and thought that it was a masterpiece.[3] In 1982, Kubrick read the novel twice and afterwards thought that it "was a unique, absolutely wonderful book" and decided, along with Herr,[2] that it would be the basis for his next film.[4] According to the filmmaker, he was drawn to the book's dialogue that was "almost poetic in its carved-out, stark quality."[4] In 1983, he began researching for this film, watching past footage and documentaries, reading Vietnamese newspapers on microfilm from the Library of Congress, and studied hundreds of photographs from the era.[5] Initially, Herr was not interested in revisiting his Vietnam War experiences and Kubrick spent three years persuading him in what the author describes as "a single phone call lasting three years, with interruptions."[2]

In 1985, Kubrick contacted Hasford to work on the screenplay with him and Herr,[3] often talking to Hasford on the phone three to four times a week for hours at a time.[6] Kubrick had already written a detailed treatment.[3] The two men got together at Kubrick's home every day, breaking down the treatment into scenes. From that, Herr wrote the first draft.[3] The filmmaker was worried that the title of the book would be misread by audiences as referring to people who only did half a day's work and changed it to Full Metal Jacket after discovering the phrase while going through a gun catalogue.[3] After the first draft was completed, Kubrick would phone in his orders and Hasford and Herr would mail in their submissions.[7] Kubrick would read and then edit them with the process starting over. Neither Hasford nor Herr knew how much they contributed to the screenplay and this led to a dispute over the final credits.[7] Hasford remembers, "We were like guys on an assembly line in the car factory. I was putting on one widget and Michael was putting on another widget and Stanley was the only one who knew that this was going to end up being a car."[7] Herr says that the director was not interested in making an anti-war film but that "he wanted to show what war is like."[2]

At some point, Kubrick wanted to meet Hasford in person but Herr advised against this, describing The Short-Timers author as a "scary man."[2] Kubrick insisted. They all met at Kubrick's house in England for dinner. It did not go well, and Hasford was subsequently shut out of the production.[2]

At least I now have an excuse to use the pic I dug up.

mniBy.jpg

Also it's pretty clear we're both right.

Might as well make it a full blown Slow Post at this point.

I7x63.png

gM8Dz.jpg