What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

19 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I was waiting for this one, one of my absolute favourites, thanks to @thrice.  Did Rudy do Birth of the Cool?  That's another of my favourites.

Somethin’ Else is possibly one of those records that would take me to a deserted island...

About Birth of the Cool, I could be wrong but I think not, Rudy only remastered the second or third generation recordings tapes. 

My "The Complete Birth of the Cool", which was remastered by Mark Levinson using Cello equipment (I have only been able to listen to a preamp and a phono stage of this brand and I remember that the sound was spectacular) 

Edited by jose
  • Like 2

Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden
Talk Talk

https://album.link/i/701395363

Example:

Why was I not listening to this in the 80s? I was into jazz and classical, along with Nobody in my high school. This would have been something that I would have listened to. I guess it just comes down to exposure. It was not getting radio play, And I didn't have friends to expose me to it. But like I have said many times in this thread, I am happy to discover these albums now. 

I really liked this, it is more brooding and a journey than The Colour of Spring. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The Kicker

The Kicker
Bobby Hutcherson
1999  (um, must be the remix - recorded 1963)

https://album.link/i/724539296

Example:

Speaking of RVG recordings. So I think that I might be slow on the uptake that it was Rudy that was the secret sauce in the Blue Note history that made magic happen so much. Now I am not saying the performance, that is the magic on it's own. But capturing the notes and giving them to us is sublime. 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, dsavitsk said:

41NXNFKPYHL._SL1500_.jpg

There's an inn in town called Relax Inn that I jokingly refer to as one of four Miles-Davis themed hotel/motel chain.  (There's also the Twi-Lite Inn which I jokingly say inspired a book series about vampires, but that's irrelevant...WEEEELL, they bothj are.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.png

The Dreamer - Joseph, Pt. 1
Neal Morse

https://album.link/i/1687520898

Example:

New Prog album released yesterday from Neal (formerly of Spocks Beard fame). I have not given it a deep listen though. And from the onset I am a little mixed. There is some grand music going on here. He has gone back to religious themes. This one, as you might tell is of the technicolor dreamcoat style. The music is good enough that I want to dig a little deeper. It could raise itself to the levels of jesus crist superstar, which I like, or it could end up with gebnbneric songs of praise, that seem to land flat for me. Neal had some other albums like that that I didn't connect with. We shall see, but I do really like the music, had me in a heavy groove several times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeymad said:

image.png

The Dreamer - Joseph, Pt. 1
Neal Morse

https://album.link/i/1687520898

Example:

New Prog album released yesterday from Neal (formerly of Spocks Beard fame). I have not given it a deep listen though. And from the onset I am a little mixed. There is some grand music going on here. He has gone back to religious themes. This one, as you might tell is of the technicolor dreamcoat style. The music is good enough that I want to dig a little deeper. It could raise itself to the levels of jesus crist superstar, which I like, or it could end up with gebnbneric songs of praise, that seem to land flat for me. Neal had some other albums like that that I didn't connect with. We shall see, but I do really like the music, had me in a heavy groove several times.

Exactly my reaction to some of his previous work -- a bit too religious, to the point impossible to ignore (Jesus Christ the Exorcist, etc.), but the music's so great, I listen to it anyway.

• Like 1

qUS0csq.jpg

Jerome Isma-ae - Mellow Yellow Tracks (1998), vinyl.  I haven't heard this release in probably 20 years.  The DHP Mix of Flu Bassoon is on a bunch of CD compilations from the early 00s.  It's often listed with no remix title.  I know, because my obsessive ass has tracked down most of them.  The DHP Mix is very up energy as far as deep house goes.  It's more than a bit of an earworm.  In my estimation, it pales compared to the original.  The original mix is much more subdued and less obvious than the original.  It's also only on this damn piece of vinyl.  I picked up my copy around the turn of the millennium.  While it never precisely went missing, I didn't have immediate access to it for a very long time.  I carefully stored it along with a number of irreplaceable bits of vinyl in a secondary record bag I got ages ago.  I just discovered it today while looking for ...something else entirely.  I dropped it on the platter of the mini setup I assembled in my bedroom.  I really need to get around to digitizing this record.  It straight up does not exist in the information age.

EDIT: Apparently it DOES exist now.  Silly record label finally got their act together.

Edited by Knuckledragger
  • Like 2