What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Mozart: Symphonies Nos.35 "Haffner", 36 "Linzer", 38 "Prager", 39, 40, 41 "Jupiter"

Mozart: Symphonies Nos.35 "Haffner", 36 "Linzer", 38 "Prager", 39, 40, 41 "Jupiter"
Berliner Philharmoniker, Karl Böhm

https://album.link/i/968876434

Example:

This was a bigger undertaking and more rewarding than I thought. I have to admit that when I first queued it up. I just saw Böhm, Berliner, Mozart 35 and 41 on DG. Sweet. 

Oh - 35 through 41! oops. :headcase:

That is many more full symphonies than I signed up for. Furthermore it was not until I was well into the first movement of the 36th that I was like, hey - this isn't the 41st. {checks the TIDAL playlist}. Ah, 23 tracks and 2 hours and 27 minutes playtime. Well okay then.

Fascinating journey. I don't think that I have listened to them as a set before (it was a lot of notes). But there was a flow to them and progression that I could pick up on themes or techniques that were presented in one symphony that are picked up and explored or expanded on in later works. And having them presented by a single source with Karl and BP really works. Now, not my favorite recordings, some passages are a bit heavy, the delicate phrasing can get lost in a bit too much power. But pacing and structure where rock solid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

@Voltron Sadly, no. Both would have been played to death anyway.

There was this one day that must have been in 1981 where my brother and I took something like $20 we'd saved up, went to Kmart, and spent it all on 7 inches. I don't remember most of the rest, but those two stand out.

Doing the math...

If 7" had a street value of $20 in 1981, adjusting for inflation and the extra inches...

It looks like I could supplement my income by about $140 an hour.

Edited by swt61
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Grahame said:

LOL, close, but no.  (I listen to prog, for Pete's sake.)  No, the sentiment I was trying to convey with that comment was similar to when someone says, "those were words".

I just don't "get" Mozart.  It doesn't resonate with me.  It just doesn't feel "evocative" to me.  There's not enough "there" there.  And other words.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't mean to bash on Mozart -- I think it says more about me than it does about him.  I just thought it'd be funny to take those 6 words out like that.  Please resume enjoying music, for Pete's sake.

7 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Dusty, I understood it like that, I kind of feel the same with most of his music, but there are a few works that I find very compelling. Parts of the Requiem are among them.

Yeah, obviously an overgeneralization (and I, too, like his Requiem, and I enjoy it when my girl HH plays his music -- that's when I decided I loved her the best -- she made me enjoy Mozart!).

Hilary Hahn - Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5/Vieuxtemps: Violin Concerto No.  4 - Amazon.com MusicMozart / Hahn, Hilary / Zhu, Natalie - Mozart: Violin Sonatas - K. 301;  304; 376; & 526 - Hybrid-SACD - Amazon.com Music

• Like 3

What Is Love? (Deluxe Edition)

What Is Love? (Deluxe Edition)
Clean Bandit

https://album.link/i/1436738680

Maybe not the highest brow tunes - but it works on a Saturday night. I think that the album made it into my queue after watching a Kenrick Sound video at some point showing off some pretty JBL speakers. I liked the production and jumpy Jamaican feel. So, I listened to them and I was like, cool. Wonder if they are popular? Oh, only 7.69 Billion views on the youtubes. So, I guess they are doing okay without my streaming numbers.  Anyway, I thought it was fun. 

{back into my hole}

7 hours ago, mikeymad said:

Marlene Dietrich At the Cafe De Paris - Live Recording 1954

Marlene Dietrich At the Cafe De Paris - Live Recording 1954
Marlene Dietrich

https://album.link/i/370312817

Example:

An interesting collection of mostly live tunes. I can here now that this was an inspiration for Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles. I still see her as an actress, but she was also a performer. 

Thanks. Didn't know about this release. Probably time to watch The Blue Angel, but until then listening to Lili Marlene (remastered)

5055807301213_600.jpg

full album

• Like 1

7 hours ago, en480c4 said:

Late to the Alcest train.  Really like Blackgaze, thus my love of Deafheaven.  But these guys do a lot more melodic stuff.  The Apple Music Alcest Essentials playlist is a nice 22 song, 2 hr 42 min way to enjoy music across their catalog.

Cheese and rice, didn't I tell you about them back mid-COVID?  That's the shoe on the other foot, me telling you about music you haven't heard about already.

• Like 1