May 19, 201115 yr comment_447828 EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints Holy Hell! Was flipping through Flipboard on the iPad, and saw a quick write-up on Rolling Stone about this album. Figured what the hell, I haven't found anything new in a while. Downloaded it from Amazon without sampling, and cued it up to start the day at work yesterday. I listened to it 3 times in a row to start the day yesterday, and a few times since. From the opening track, "Grey Ship", through the the closer, it balances touches of folk and noise, with layering, textures and changes of pace and style that keep you on your toes. Her voice is haunting, and there are just enough hooks to grab you. It's not uplifting music, and the lyrics are pretty dark, but it's still full of an energy that has left me impressed. It's been a while since something grabbed me like this, and I just wanted to share... Report
May 19, 201115 yr comment_447866 Always interested in something new. Speaking of which: listening to The Octopus by Amplifier now. Digging. Report
May 20, 201115 yr comment_447897 Wow, is it possible that came to you via a HC noob's vinyl giveaway at CanJam Chicago last summer? Humblest apologies. It does seem in awfully fine condition. And I don't actually remember buying it. But I thought the records you gave me were all in the Ikea bin as opposed to the stack that leans on the speaker stand. ) (Being in the Ikea bin, for the benefit of anybody out there whose record collection is arranged in some sort of logical, linear order, is a good thing.) Edit: ↑↑↑Or arranged in any discernible order at all, for that matter.↑↑↑ Edited May 20, 201115 yr by CarlSeibert Report
May 20, 201115 yr comment_447899 No apology needed. I was excited to see it up there! Good stuff! Report
May 20, 201115 yr comment_447966 Drive By Truckers - Go Go Boots Esperanza Spalding - Chamber Music Society Report
May 20, 201115 yr comment_448036 Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana / 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花 / カルキ・ザーメン・くりのはな / Lime, Semen, Chestnut Blossoms / whatevs... Shiina Ringo -- I love this album so much. Report
May 21, 201115 yr comment_448169 I figured you'd notice that...it's good to have the turntable set up again Report
May 21, 201115 yr comment_448172 The 1 disc was REALLY warped..it's on the bottom of a large stack of records now, hoping it flattens out some Disc 2 sounds great Report
May 21, 201115 yr comment_448201 That sounds fair. You'll see it in your next credit card statement. Quite a run of vinyl! That makes me happy. Report
May 22, 201115 yr Author comment_448220 Steve Earle -- I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive 24/96 DVD Seemed an appropriate title for rapture day. Report
May 22, 201115 yr comment_448248 Listened to Mojo's covers version of Pink Floyd's The Wall -- some interesting choices, I especially liked Helado Negro's version of Adios Mundo Maldito Also, Mojo's Man Machine compilation Also, 2 or 3 paulstretched tracks from Al Di Meola & Kylie Minogue Sent from mah Droid Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.