What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints

51y7g0FLoHL._SS500_.jpg

Holy Hell!

Was flipping through Flipboard on the iPad, and saw a quick write-up on Rolling Stone about this album. Figured what the hell, I haven't found anything new in a while. Downloaded it from Amazon without sampling, and cued it up to start the day at work yesterday. I listened to it 3 times in a row to start the day yesterday, and a few times since.

From the opening track, "Grey Ship", through the the closer, it balances touches of folk and noise, with layering, textures and changes of pace and style that keep you on your toes. Her voice is haunting, and there are just enough hooks to grab you. It's not uplifting music, and the lyrics are pretty dark, but it's still full of an energy that has left me impressed.

It's been a while since something grabbed me like this, and I just wanted to share...

Wow, is it possible that came to you via a HC noob's vinyl giveaway at CanJam Chicago last summer? :)

Humblest apologies. It does seem in awfully fine condition. And I don't actually remember buying it.

But I thought the records you gave me were all in the Ikea bin as opposed to the stack that leans on the speaker stand. :-)

(Being in the Ikea bin, for the benefit of anybody out there whose record collection is arranged in some sort of logical, linear order, is a good thing.)

Edit: ↑↑↑Or arranged in any discernible order at all, for that matter.↑↑↑

Edited by CarlSeibert